I Hate Seeing Photos of Myself (Work at Home, Sit on Butt)

Options
Hi everyone, I've been poking around a few days and plan to stick around so this is a great time to say hi.

I'm 51 and have 50 to 60 pounds to lose. This is the heaviest I've ever been. I was chunky before but started a home-based job a year ago that's made me much more sedentary and likely to snack. It's gotten to the point where I can't stand seeing photos of myself because I look like Jabba's sister so it's time to do something about it. I know that sounds silly, but maybe there are at least a few here who can relate. I've got some health effects, too, like plantar fasciitis in one foot, so it's time to reverse this.

Walking is my favorite exercise but I live in FL so it's hard in summer. I know that's no excuse as I live two blocks from a community pool and small fitness room, plus I have a membership to the health club a mile away and plenty of DVDs. My only excuse is laziness!

I'm married and my husband is trying to get into a fitness routine too. He's older than me and semi-retired, and he also currently has a work at home job so he has the same challenge.

The dog at least gets me up and out to walk occasionally, but I desperately need a real workout schedule. I got a Microsoft Band and a couple of apps to reminder me to get up when I've sat too long and to get a certain number of steps in every day. That's a start, but I need to cut out the snacks too, and maybe also making this website a touchstone will help. I've read a lot of inspiring stories here so maybe I can become one of them.

Replies

• rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Hello, Yes, working from home has its challenges with weight loss... there are a lot of us on here....
    Reminders to move is great, but don't use that time to "go get a high calorie snack" like I did..hehe
    Input your info to mfp and eat at that calorie count. Eating less to lose weight is easier than trying to exercise the calorie deficit.
    Good luck to you... Fellow worker from home...
  • midlifecrisis66
    midlifecrisis66 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello I'm 49 and have 65 pounds to lose(!!!). I also work from home - and my husband is also considerably older than me. I am much much fatter than I have ever been but I'm not sure why my weight is so high. So high now I mean. I know why I'm fat! Too much pasta, cocktails, flavored popcorn etc etc. I think I have just crept up the scales over the years, all the time vaguely trying to stick to diets and giving up after a couple of months.

It's different this time. I have entered 'Race 4 Life' - so I will be jogging 5Km (that's just over 3 miles) on the 19th July to raise money for a UK charity Cancer Research. My husband was diagnosed with bowel cancer just before Christmas.

So if I'm going to run 3 miles, I have to practice, right!?

I have been practicing every other morning for nearly 2 months now and you know what.....? I LOVE it!! Yes, really! I was the girl at school who would hide in the loos in PE lessons. Now I'm out by 6am, running 20 minutes and walking the rest as briskly as I can. But in all that time I only lost 2 pounds!!! How is that possible? I even bought a Nutribullet to make healthy smoothies. (It also makes great strawberry daiquiris by the way).

So now I have signed up here - told to do so by a lovely lady who is going to take me in hand and help me lose the weight, run 3 miles and feel good.

I wish you luck on your journey!
  • Sangsterr
    Sangsterr Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hello there! Great to see you passionate about this! Nice to hear that you have some Fitness DVDs to use. Set yourself some short term goals to keep you motivated,if you need more help with an exercise routine and advice on food then drop me an add/message :)
  • AChildAtHeart
    AChildAtHeart Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hello all! It's great to see others who work at home here. I love it but it has special challenges. Rushfive, thanks for the warning. I could just see myself running down to the fridge! I hope to do little physical activities like water the garden or clean the counters when I get my reminders. Double benefit!

Midlifecrisis, that's a great goal! I want to do a C25K program once I get my foot straightened out. I'm sending good thoughts for your husband.

Sandsterr, yes, I'm setting short term goals and will force myself to track them. I'm a very structured person so hopefully I can translate that into getting fit.