Why is my body so stubborn?? No fat loss and need help

Options
Any helpful advice is welcome.
Story in a nutshell. I am a 31 yr. old female. I run 3x a week (10-12 miles a week) and strength/weight train 3x a week. I have been eating clean and follow the 80/20 rule. I log. I weigh. I pay attention to labels. Over the last two years I have completed a marathon, 3 half marathons, started lifting weights and have become active in general versus my past.
I had my ovaries removed 15 months ago. At that point I was 124lbs and was comfortable with my weight, but lacked some muscle. Ever since the surgery it feels like I am hitting a road block. Nothing that used to work for me seems to be doing nothing. I dont know if I can blame it all on the lack of hormones, but something is getting in my way.
I have gained weight - as of this morning I am 137. As much as I would love to think that it is all muscle I have gained, I know better.
My question is how do I shed this stubborn fat when I think I am doing all I can do.
In general do I feel healthier - yes! But do I want to fit back into some clothes I cant wear anymore - yes!
Overall my measurements seem to have only gone up alittle bit - I just dont understand.
Any other ladies run into this issue?
I am beginning to feel like all my efforts are a waste. And even if I made peace with my weight at this stage I am afraid the scale will keep going up and up and up.

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Barring a medical condition, it sounds like you need to eat fewer calories.
  • motorola10
    motorola10 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Maybe check your hormone levels by a doctor. I'd start there.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I also gained weight after a total hysterectomy eating the same way I did before surgery--10 pounds in three months. It sucks, but you have eat less food now.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options

I'd say that having no ovaries counts as a medical condition.

OP, have you consulted with a registered dietician? I'm not sure how much hormone levels may be affecting you, but it wouldn't hurt to contact someone with experience in this area.
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    If it all started after the surgery, I agree with Joy. Go to the doctor.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Hormones or lack there of them is not the reason you are not loosing weight.. You gained up to 137 because you are eating more calories than you burn.. A lot of ladies with PCOS, hysterectomies, peri menopausal, post menopausal, yadi yadi, yadi are loosing weight and if not, they use this as their excuse for why they are not.

Time to recheck the logging and measuring of your food intake and accurately putting them in your diary.. Also eating too many exercise calories is a huge culprit if you eat them back...

edited to add: in case you are deeply concerned this is a health issue, have blood work and a metabolic blood panel test done...
  • jamieben1824
    jamieben1824 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Yes, I can relate... but not to the ovary surgery. Did you get on hormones? I dont know for sure, but I think that could have something to do with it?
  • Jess830409
    Jess830409 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I did bring up my concerns to my GYN at my last appointment and literally she just looked at me and said there is nothing she could tell me to do differently. My daily calories are between 1,300 and 1,500 daily consistently.

I will have to look into getting with an actual dietician because going much lower than that scares me - because I do enjoy being active and don't want to compromise my energy levels either
  • Jess830409
    Options
    I take a very low dose of estrogen and progesterone - because it was literally like someone took me from 100 to 0 when I had my surgery.

I am definetely not new to the game. I own a food scale - I weigh everything - even the milk that goes in my coffee in the morning - and I log. Trust me, people at my work believe I am obsessive about it. And when I do splurge, it comes with a price. Sodium and I do not get along, and when I go above a certain amount it takes a long time just to get the water weight to go down.
  • motorola10
    motorola10 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Go to your regular Dr. Consult your concerns with them. Sorry but your GYN seems lazy.
  • DeguelloTex
    edited June 2015
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »

And if it can't be compensated for by medicine, then the answer is that she just has to eat less. Which is exactly what I said.

• Jess830409
    Options

And if it can't be compensated for by medicine, then the answer is that she just has to eat less. Which is exactly what I said.

Less than 1,300 calories a day?
  • Jess830409
    Options
    JOY1078 wrote: »
    Go to your regular Dr. Consult your concerns with them. Sorry but your GYN seems lazy.

I agree! - I left the appointment very upset and more determined to figure out what I need to do - but I feel I am going at it blind. I will have to look into a good dietician or someone that may be able to point me in the right direction. I have no problem with giving 100% - but need to know what is my road block.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    Jess830409 wrote: »

If you're gaining weight on what you're eating now, and a doctor can't prescribe anything that alters that, what options do you think there are other than fewer net calories?

• wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options

Since you described only "eating clean", there was no mention of weighing your food. The 1300 cals/day is on the slight side, but you may actually be going over this number if you don't weigh your food. Eating clean or otherwise doesn't mean anything if you are going way over your calorie intake needed for weight loss.
  • itsthehumidity
    itsthehumidity Posts: 351 Member
    Options

Maybe, but I'm not a health professional. I recommend seeing a dietician (NOT a nutritionist).
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    46ed421y9662.jpg
    Ask yourself how your clothes are fitting. Maybe you need to forget the number. This is some random pic I found on the internet, but you get the idea.
  • Jess830409
    Options

If you're gaining weight on what you're eating now, and a doctor can't prescribe anything that alters that, what options do you think there are other than fewer net calories?

Hopefully a possible natural solution - maybe an herbal supplement, or a re working of the types of nutrients - I dunno - but extremly low calorie intake or medication can come with problems too
    But, again I am at a loss on my own - just very confused by it all
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Ask yourself how your clothes are fitting. Maybe you need to forget the number. This is some random pic I found on the internet, but you get the idea.
    "But do I want to fit back into some clothes I cant wear anymore - yes!"
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    "But do I want to fit back into some clothes I cant wear anymore - yes!"
    Fair enough, but I would rather buy new ones! Okay, I always want to buy new clothes, so that's not a very fair assessment.
    Seriously, I've been recomping for year, I weigh more and wear a smaller size. BONUS!