Question for those who lift

Options
I have been lifting since November. I was wondering how many reps you do before you increase the weight? I usually start out at 12 and now when I go to 20-25 the last 5 are hard. Should I move up in weight and start back at 12 or is there a magic number to know when it's safe to move up? I have gone up in weights a few times but I am unsure what the most common way is.

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I have been lifting since November. I was wondering how many reps you do before you increase the weight? I usually start out at 12 and now when I go to 20-25 the last 5 are hard. Should I move up in weight and start back at 12 or is there a magic number to know when it's safe to move up? I have gone up in weights a few times but I am unsure what the most common way is.

A lot of lifting folks do a program that tells you exactly how to progress through it.

That is my recommendation that I wish I did when I started lifting a while ago. At least until you would not need to ask this question because you would know the answer through your lifting career.
  • SquatNSparkle
    SquatNSparkle Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting Author has you do 12, then 10, then 8 reps at a given weight. Then move up.

I got tired of that and am doing stronglifts myself, increasing the weight by 5 lbs. each time, doing 5x5 sets. If I can't achieve 5 sets of 5 at a given weight, I don't increase the next time. IMHO, don't wait for it to become easy, PUSH yourself to lift the most you can while still maintaining good form. I'm not an expert but from what I've read that's how you get stronger. And, no, you will not get bulky doing this!
  • rebbylicious
    rebbylicious Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Maybe I am not explaining myself properly. I lift free weights mostly. My trainer has taught me many things to do with them. I don't follow a specific program, I just work whatever muscle I am focusing on that day in various angles. I have never done a "deadlift" although the thought is intriguing. My trainer rarely has me follow the same routine.
  • rebbylicious
    edited June 2015
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting Author has you do 12, then 10, then 8 reps at a given weight. Then move up.

I got tired of that and am doing stronglifts myself, increasing the weight by 5 lbs. each time, doing 5x5 sets. If I can't achieve 5 sets of 5 at a given weight, I don't increase the next time. IMHO, don't wait for it to become easy, PUSH yourself to lift the most you can while still maintaining good form. I'm not an expert but from what I've read that's how you get stronger. And, no, you will not get bulky doing this!
    That is great advice about not waiting for it to get easy. I think that I am probably slowing my progress by doing that. I know it will not make me bulky (unless of course I want that) - i never mentioned that. I am lifting as part of my weight loss routine to prevent getting the gangly weight loss look. Progress is slower but I like the way things stay tight through my body changes.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

That is great advice about not waiting for it to get easy. I think that I am probably slowing my progress by doing that. I know it will not make me bulky- i never mentioned that. I am lifting as part of my weight loss routine to prevent getting the gangly weight loss look. Progress is slower but I like the way things stay tight through my body changes.

Your trainer should have some sort of progressive overload component built into the routine I would think. Why don't you ask your trainer about it?
  • SquatNSparkle
    SquatNSparkle Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the response. No, I didnt think you thought that but it's a common fear. And I am still learning a lot too...my old gym coaches had us using kettlebells a lot but I recently (in the last few months) got into independent lifting. So whatever you are learning I'm open to hearing about too...
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    dear god- 20 reps? that's not heavy- that's cardio- ANY weight at that many reps will get heavy!!!

Lord woman- drop them weights down- I don't do anything over 6 reps at this point.

here's a guide
    REPS--- what it means
    0 ==== to heavy
    1 +++ one rep max- not for beginners
    2-5 --- Heavy- good for power lifting- pure strength- ish on hypertrophy (size) zero points for endurance
    5-10---- Heavier- power lifting- strength- hypertrophy- 1/2 point for endurance
    10-15--- not really heavy- if you can do this15 times- getting nothing for strength but more muscle endurance.
    15-20- this is pure cardio- has almost nothing to do with traditional weight training.
  • Ritzaburk
    Ritzaburk Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    If you originally were doing 12 reps, and now you're doing 20-25, then it's time to move up in weight. Try to pick a weight where your last 3 reps are shy of failure. Also, try to stick to 12-15 reps... Once those become easy to you, then move up on weight again. I hope this helps. :)
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    The previous advice to try a popular beginners program is the best advice. It answers your questions for you because the progression is all planned. It sounds like your trainer is not answering all your questions. Maybe ask your trainer to help you get established on a plan that is easier to follow? Your trainer should be able to help you learn the proper form on the compound lifts if they are new to you.

Freestyling every workout without a planned program is best left to the very experienced lifters. 1-5 reps to focus on strength, 6-12 reps to focus on hypertrophy, but at the beginner stage, that is less important.
  • rebbylicious
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Broscience - That's a good idea - I just see her on mondays and I work independently through the week. Some days it's cardio, some days its TRX straps, and other days it's weights. Mid week I keep up with the free weights and cardio. We don't do the same moves often enough for her to monitor which weight I am using. She just tells me to get a "heavy weight for bi's or a medium weight for Bi's" etc.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    holy cow 20 to 25 reps? No way. I personally follow my own modified version of 5x5. I wouldn't waste my time doing more than 8 reps of anything. Once you can do 5 - 8 comfortably it's clear you can handle an increase.
  • rebbylicious
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    dear god- 20 reps? that's not heavy- that's cardio- ANY weight at that many reps will get heavy!!!

Lord woman- drop them weights down- I don't do anything over 6 reps at this point.

here's a guide
    REPS--- what it means
    0 ==== to heavy
    one rep max- not for beginners
    2-5 ---- Heavy- good for power lifting- pure strength- ish on hypertrophy (size) zero points for endurance
    10-15--- not really heavy- if you can do this15 times- getting nothing for strength but more muscle endurance.
    15-20- this is pure cardio- has almost nothing to do with traditional weight training.

sounds like I should have been increasing more often then. Thank you. ;) She starts me at 8-12. Sometimes 2 sets or we do a cycle and come back to it. Now I'm curious what I can do in strictly strength....
  • JoRocka
    Options

here's a guide
    REPS--- what it means
    0 ==== to heavy
    2-5 ---- Heavy- good for power lifting- pure strength- ish on hypertrophy (size) zero points for endurance

sounds like I should have been increasing more often then. Thank you. ;) She starts me at 8-12. Sometimes 2 sets or we do a cycle and come back to it. Now I'm curious what I can do in strictly strength....

stick to the 5-10 range- if you're new there is little reason to go below that for the first year.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

here's a guide
    REPS--- what it means
    0 ==== to heavy

Interesting routine your trainer can up with out of the blue I'm sure.

• rebbylicious
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Yop- no. She has workouts planned but each week I leave with a new sheet. She is highly respected among the guys in the weight room, it probably is because I am seeing her for weightloss - I was not specifically seeing her for weight lifting/ strength training. It does keep it interesting to arrive and never know what I am going to do. I enjoy it.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    ask her why you aren't deadlifting? That would concern me.

Also strength training specifically for strength training is not at odds with weight loss.
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

here's a guide
    REPS--- what it means
    0 ==== to heavy

I see this same thing with the trainers at my gym. When I watch some of them train people, I cannot tell, from their exercise choices, what their objective is. It's like the exercise choices are just willy-nilly. (But it's not true for every trainer and client. I've seen one client, a guy, who, based on his exercise choices and seeing his body over time, he's clearly working to get stronger. His trainer has him squatting, deadlifting, benching, etc. And he's gotten bigger and stronger.)

I'd start posing questions to your trainer. What are you two trying to achieve together?

It sounds to me like she has you doing some sort of split routine (one body part per day), which is not a good choice for a beginner. Split routines are for experienced bodybuilders. You'll get far better results for your effort one a program that has you doing compound lifts (StrongLifts 5x5 for example).
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    Yop- no. She has workouts planned but each week I leave with a new sheet. She is highly respected among the guys in the weight room, it probably is because I am seeing her for weightloss - I was not specifically seeing her for weight lifting/ strength training. It does keep it interesting to arrive and never know what I am going to do. I enjoy it.

So your workouts are cater to weight loss? hmmm
  • yopeeps025
    Options

here's a guide
    REPS--- what it means
    0 ==== to heavy

I see this same thing with the trainers at my gym. When I watch some of them train people, I cannot tell, from their exercise choices, what their objective is. It's like the exercise choices are just willy-nilly. (But it's not true for every trainer and client. I've seen one client, a guy, who, based on his exercise choices and seeing his body over time, he's clearly working to get stronger. His trainer has him squatting, deadlifting, benching, etc. And he's gotten bigger and stronger.)

I'd start posing questions to your trainer. What are you two trying to achieve together?

It sounds to me like she has you doing some sort of split routine (one body part per day), which is not a good choice for a beginner. Split routines are for experienced bodybuilders. You'll get far better results for your effort one a program that has you doing compound lifts (StrongLifts 5x5 for example).

Yeah but a trainer can't really recommend that. How else would they stay employed? How long would a client pay for there service? They have to come up with these interesting routine that make no sense to the clients so the clients feels that they have to keep seeing the trainer.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

here's a guide
    REPS--- what it means
    0 ==== to heavy

Yeah but a trainer can't really recommend that. How else would they stay employed? How long would a client pay for there service? They have to come up with these interesting routine that make no sense to the clients so the clients feels that they have to keep seeing the trainer.

As long as they see a benefit in their guidance. There are trainers out there who stick people on similar routines.