Squat rack too high?

Options
IsaackGMOON
IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
edited June 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm following 5x5 Stronglifts so squatting is involved in every workout. At my gym there is 1 squat rack, it's got fixed safety bars and fixed pins, I'm pretty sure its this one:
q8wssbwd151i.png

I use the 2nd highest pins on the rack, it was all good until now. When I stand up to the bar on the 2nd highest pins, the bar is somewhere near my collar bone and my chin, I actually can't remember what its closest too.

I understand that the bar has to be somewhere near the shoulders, its a real pain to get the bar out because I'm too short for the rack. I either have to struggle and tip toe out which just seems scary, or put the bar in an awkward spot on my shoulders which throws my form off.

Any ways to combat this? there are only 2 other gyms where I live, both are £60 a month.. which I'm not prepared to pay at all. I tried using plates to step out with, but they put me too high above the bar.

-Struggles of being in between sizes

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Go for the lower one and just get used to unracking from a slightly shorter stance.

Never go for the higher one.
  • JohnBarth
    JohnBarth Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Are there any shallow boxes or platforms you could use to stand on while using the rack?
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Go for the lower one and just get used to unracking from a slightly shorter stance.

This. I unrack the bar from low chest height since I work out with a buddy who is considerably shorter than me. You get used to it.
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options

Duh I'm such a dweeb. I'll definitely go for this, thank you!
    JohnBarth wrote: »
    Are there any shallow boxes or platforms you could use to stand on while using the rack?

Nope, there are these reebok platforms, but they elevate you a lot.
    Mycophilia wrote: »

This. I unrack the bar from low chest height since I work out with a buddy who is considerably shorter than me. You get used to it.

Thank you again :)
  • Mayor_West
    Mayor_West Posts: 246 Member
    Options

That's probably a bad idea- the last thing you want with heavy weight on your back is to be standing on a potentially unstable surface. Especially since you're going to be walking the weight back out of the rack in order to give yourself adequate room to squat without hitting the rack.

As to the original question, never, ever, rack the bar in a position where you need to essentially do a standing calf raise in order to un-rack or re-rack the bar. This is incredibly dangerous and should be avoided at all costs.
  • IsaackGMOON
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Mayor_West wrote: »

That's probably a bad idea- the last thing you want with heavy weight on your back is to be standing on a potentially unstable surface. Especially since you're going to be walking the weight back out of the rack in order to give yourself adequate room to squat without hitting the rack.

As to the original question, never, ever, rack the bar in a position where you need to essentially do a standing calf raise in order to un-rack or re-rack the bar. This is incredibly dangerous and should be avoided at all costs.

Yeah, I envisioned someone trying to tip toe the bar out and just falling backwards.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    :lol: it's not fun trying to tip toe out your body weight or more on the bar in squats.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    This is a bad idea.

You can probably *ish* get away with it for unracking- although the odds of being pulled backward by the weight are obviously high.

But if you watch any video of anyone with any weight- you can watch them stagger forward to drop the weight- you miss the box you're going to launch yourself face first into the mirror and the bar probably won't catch and will bounce on the safety rails- worst case either snapping the bar- or bouncing off with some force and rolling into someone else.

Nope nope nope nope nope nope.

Just un-rack from the shorter height.
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Definitely do it from the lower. I'm the same. I'm short (5'2), and the racks at my gym aren't quite perfect for me either. I use the lower rack, and squat a bit when racking/un-racking the bar.
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    :lol: it's not fun trying to tip toe out your body weight or more on the bar in squats.

Ha, I can see why ;) I'm getting near that bodyweight squat, it's all that I neeeeeeed
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options
    This is a bad idea.

You can probably *ish* get away with it for unracking- although the odds of being pulled backward by the weight are obviously high.

But if you watch any video of anyone with any weight- you can watch them stagger forward to drop the weight- you miss the box you're going to launch yourself face first into the mirror and the bar probably won't catch and will bounce on the safety rails- worst case either snapping the bar- or bouncing off with some force and rolling into someone else.

Nope nope nope nope nope nope.

Just un-rack from the shorter height.

I will definitely do this
  • yopeeps025
    Options

Ha, I can see why ;) I'm getting near that bodyweight squat, it's all that I neeeeeeed

Are you able to reach depth on that squat rack? Sometimes I can't which I hate because I have to lower the weight since I will be stepping out beyond that safety level.

• IsaackGMOON
    Options

Are you able to reach depth on that squat rack? Sometimes I can't which I hate because I have to lower the weight since I will be stepping out beyond that safety level.

Luckily I can, I know there are some guys which are too tall for it and have to step out to get proper depth. Really does suck that the gym didn't invest in some power racks instead of a fixed squat rack.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

Luckily I can, I know there are some guys which are too tall for it and have to step out to get proper depth. Really does suck that the gym didn't invest in some power racks instead of a fixed squat rack.

Well at that point I usually do slower + pause reps with the lower weight. That like the best option I have at that point.

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

This is me; I have to squat behind the rack because the supports are too tall. We have one power rack, so I usually try to squat in that (but of course it's too short for OHP, so 5x5 was always a pain in the butt to run).

Also, using the lower support shouldn't put the bar in an awkward spot on your back. Bend your knees :wink: I put the bar into place, and then just stand up.
  • JohnBarth
    JohnBarth Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Sorry for that bad information. What I had envisioned didn't match up with what I typed. I was picturing a low, very wide and deep platform a couple of inches high, maybe a couple of sheets of plywood stacked. Definitely nothing unstable or limiting in the area you'd work.

I appreciate the feedback and definitely see where I wasn't nearly as clear as I could have been.
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    My gym has just bought 2 of those same racks and hardly anyone uses them. These new racks nowadays suck. Must be cheaper in cost. I see a lot of people doing smith racks more often. You can consider leg press also. Just a suggestion. Dont use a platform. Very dangerous.
  • csman49
    csman49 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Platform shoes.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    My gym has just bought 2 of those same racks and hardly anyone uses them. These new racks nowadays suck. Must be cheaper in cost. I see a lot of people doing smith racks more often. You can consider leg press also. Just a suggestion. Dont use a platform. Very dangerous.

Smith MACHINE and leg press aren't as beneficial. at all.

And that other person was suggesting like an aerobic step to stand on.
    a full on, built out platform is perfectly safe.

rack with platform:
    USA__Full_plat.jpg

previous suggestion for "platform":
    aerobicstep.jpg
  • JoRocka
    Options

Smith MACHINE and leg press aren't as beneficial. at all.

And that other person was suggesting like an aerobic step to stand on.
    a full on, built out platform is perfectly safe.

rack with platform:
    USA__Full_plat.jpg

previous suggestion for "platform":
    aerobicstep.jpg

nods nods nods