restaraunts and weight gain

Options
mbaker566
mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
let me be clear that I understand that weight loss is a marathon and is not in a straight line but....

I've noticed a pattern. when I eat out, I almost always gain 2-3 lbs the next day. and this isn't making me panic. but why is that? do they use a lot of salt? I know I'm not eating 3lbs of food.

so just a question.

Replies

• chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I imagine it's water weight from the sodium. Just drink lots of water, it should go back down.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Odds are, it is the sodium. Between straight up salt for seasoning, marinades, sauces, etc., it can really up the scale.
  • mbaker566
    edited June 2015
    Options
    that's what I thought. cider barbeque is so good

lots of fluids was the plan. not worried just curious
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    Most likely it's the sodium content, as others have stated. It could also be the portions; if you're still tracking the calories then it's likely you're being served more food than whatever they have listed. It seems just about every time a restaurant is analyzed for accuracy they always underestimate how many calories are in their foods.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Yup sodium, but could also be due to higher starch content of the food if you don't eat much normally. Most restaurant meals seem to fill out with pasta or rice or potatoes, which I don't normally eat much of. I always find that high starch meals make me retain water for a few days afterwards.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Alcohol makes me hold on water too.
  • mbaker566
    Options
    don't drink often (maybe 1 every other month) but good to know
    and always veggies. i love fresh green beans and a chuck eye.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Restaurants use TONS of salt to make everything taste better.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I think it's the sodium content as well. Hope you enjoyed your meal though :)
  • deevah62
    deevah62 Posts: 32 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    This is especially true when I go out for sushi - love that soya sauce!
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Yup. Happens to me everytime, because my body reacts with water retention to sodium and grain carbs. A pizza equals 1kg of water the next day, everytime! Even the homemade one with less fat.

Drink alot of water and eat potassium rich foods before and after, that helps flush out the extra water.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Most sushi restaurants will provide low-sodium soy sauce, FYI. Still sodium in there, just a bit less.
  • ellasez
    ellasez Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Definitely the sodium content. This is why it's great to not weigh every day, or avoid weighing yourself on days after you've eaten a salty meal. If I know I've had more sodium than usual, but it's weigh in day, I'll skip the scale until the next day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    restaurants tend to use a lot of salt because everyone's taste buds are broken and nothing tastes good without an *kitten* load of salt apparently...excessive sodium causes water retention.
  • mbaker566
    Options
    ellasez wrote: »
    Definitely the sodium content. This is why it's great to not weigh every day, or avoid weighing yourself on days after you've eaten a salty meal. If I know I've had more sodium than usual, but it's weigh in day, I'll skip the scale until the next day.

that's silly. I'm not going to avoid the scale. I'm in for the long haul and interested in trends. daily weigh ins help keep me motivated.

other people do it differently and that's fine but "should" is really a matter of preference
  • mbaker566
    Options
    mm potato soup- I may have a salt habit :wink:
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    The sodium is definitely higher in resturant food, which can cause your body to retain water, making you heavier. Having too many carbs also does that to you. The water weight should come off after a few days. In the meantime, up your water intake some.
  • mbaker566
    Options
    jftr carbs do not make you heavier unless they are over your calorie allotment. but for sure the sodium creates retention of water