Only 5lbs in 2 weeks. Ok?

Options
2»

Replies

• PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    Did anyone go and look at the diary? Less than 1,000 a day in food intake. So you are not doing great, you are not eating enough.

This.

The goal isn't to lose as fast as you can. It's to lose in a healthy sustainable manner. Eating so low is not healthy nor sustainable. Please reconsider the amount you are eating before you do damage to your body.
  • runningagainstmyself
    runningagainstmyself Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Only?! I think you need more realistic expectations if you're not happy with FIVE pounds in only 2 weeks.

^ THIS.
  • btinghutch
    btinghutch Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I got kind of discouraged too, having done everything right, only to have lost 1 lb the first week and gained it back the second!!lol My goal was 2 lbs a week as well.
    I noticed that my clothes are fitting really well, and I ''feel'' thinner, so it's that propelling me not the scale. I feel so much more energy too.
    Muscle does weigh more than fat, and if you are toning like I am, you may gain before you lose. I also gained 2 lbs the second week due to PMS and water weight,,so there are a lot of factors. Just stay postive and focused on how you feel and not so much the scale ;)
    I love this app, because checking my calorie intake everyday holds me accountable! I will keep going
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    Only?! I think you need more realistic expectations if you're not happy with FIVE pounds in only 2 weeks.

that times 1 zillion.

• ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    You don't want to lose so fast that your body starts to burn your muscle in addition to fat. Why? Because when you get to your goal weight, if you can keep up whatever you are doing now to get there, you will have to eat much less than if you retain all your muscle mass.

It's hard to be patient, but it's worth it.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Why not spend a bit of your time learning how weight loss works and what realistic rates are?
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    Why not spend a bit of your time learning how weight loss works and what realistic rates are?

She is learning what is realistic by asking questions.

• michellesz
    michellesz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    1 to 2 pounds per week is healthy & you will most likely be able to keep it off with continued healthy eating & exercise. It appears you are making healthy choices, yes, but I would agree with previous replies to increase your calorie intake a bit. Under 1,000 calories per day are not substantial for healthy weight loss. You want to lose fat not muscle.
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Realistically you need to aim for a weekly weight loss that allows you to eat 1200 or more.
    Aiming for 1-1.5lb is a realistic number.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP did you read the helpful posts at the top of the getting started forum, particularly this one?

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

As others have said, you need to have realistic goals about how fast you should be losing, and how much you should be eating in order to best achieve your (realistic) goals. 2 lbs/week is not realistic or sustainable for someone with less than 40 lbs to lose, nor is eating less than 1000 cals/day.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    2Weeks ago started diet and exercise regiment. See food log. I don't think I'm exerising enough, shouldn't I have lost a bit more in 2 weeks?

It comes off quickly at first. Expect a slowdown.

How much are you trying to liose? What are your stats?
  • Lpeterson189
    Lpeterson189 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thank you to those who actually gave me constructive info, pointers and encouragement - the purpose of these boards.
    There were some snarky, patronizing responses which are not only unhelpful but can potentially be hurtful to those who can't brush it off. All I'll say to those posters is watch what you say, people are on here to better themselves and an off-hand, harsher comment can be far more damaging than you may think.
    I know I haven't been eating enough calories, it is hard for me to meet 1200 - not hungry enough to eat that much and keeping with healthy foods which are lower calorie. Sure I can meet the 1200 goal with the less healthy, higher cal foods, but if I want to eat healthy that's a bit harder for me. Only so much salad one can eat...
    Anyway, my original question was answered, just wanted to see if I was off base too much.
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    2Weeks ago started diet and exercise regiment. See food log. I don't think I'm exerising enough, shouldn't I have lost a bit more in 2 weeks?

losted 5 lbs? .. wish i was in ur boat :#
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Thank you to those who actually gave me constructive info, pointers and encouragement - the purpose of these boards.
    There were some snarky, patronizing responses which are not only unhelpful but can potentially be hurtful to those who can't brush it off. All I'll say to those posters is watch what you say, people are on here to better themselves and an off-hand, harsher comment can be far more damaging than you may think.
    I know I haven't been eating enough calories, it is hard for me to meet 1200 - not hungry enough to eat that much and keeping with healthy foods which are lower calorie. Sure I can meet the 1200 goal with the less healthy, higher cal foods, but if I want to eat healthy that's a bit harder for me. Only so much salad one can eat...
    Anyway, my original question was answered, just wanted to see if I was off base too much.

I didn't see any snarky, patronizing responses... but... here is a link to a very helpful list of calorie dense foods that are often recommended when people are struggling to reach a certain calorie goal.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods/p1

Although, I think you will find that there is a strong contingent of very successful people on MFP who eat a primarily nutrient dense diet, hitting their macro and micro goals, and still manage to fit in "treats" on top.

I'm guessing you set up MFP to the most aggressive, lose 2 lbs/week, based on your initial post, which is likely too aggressive for the total amount of weight you have to lose. If you reconfigure it to a more reasonable, 1 lb/week goal, you will have even more calories to work with. Additionally, if you are using MFP the way it was designed, you should be eating back at least a portion of your exercise calories, and I am not sure if you are currently doing that.

TL/DR - you probably should be eating more food and not worrying so much about how fast you are losing the weight and getting upset about comments pointing out that your expectations may not be realistic...
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Thinking that 2.5 pounds per week with what you have to lose is not fast enough is indicative of completely unrealistic expectations. Thinking that you're not exercising enough while failing to provide enough fuel and nutrients for your body at rest isn't a long term solution either.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    How much did the OP expect to lose in 2 weeks? I averaged about 5 pounds a month and was perfectly happy with that.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    2.5/week is really fast. Your rate of loss will slow down. I say this not to discourage you, but so that when it happens you aren't surprised or discouraged.

It's a slow process and takes a long time. Be patient and stick with it.