Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Curious about spin class/spinning calories burned

Understanding that it's always an estimate (even with a heart rate monitor), I'm still challenged to come up with a reasonable calories-burned number for spin class (such as SoulCycle). "Spinning" is in the exercise database, but when I enter my information, the calories burned are less than "Cycling - Vigorous" or "Aerobics - High Impact". Given that you're intensely pedaling while doing arm weights, core work, and moving in and out of the saddle, I have to wonder if the "Spinning" entry is accurate. My studio says students burn an average of 600-900 calories (which I believe to be 1. a bit high and 2. clearly for marketing). So the question for the boards is, what do you think? How do you calculate? Have you found a good source? What exercise in the MFP cardio database do you use? Cheers!

Replies

• gdyment
    gdyment Posts: 299 Member
    The only way to know for sure is if there's a powermeter on the bike measuring the watts/joules of work being done. You can be sweating like a dog but still only burning 200-300/hr. I'd guess not more than 600 and that would be solid hour of working with no breaks/resting/chit-chat sections. But it's great for cardio health/heartrate/BP, etc.
  • happyjacks
    happyjacks Posts: 31 Member
    I use a heart rate monitor (polar brand) and log those calories. I also use it to keep an eye on my HR during spin class as an indication of effort.

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    How can you know with spinning becayse people can have different resistance levels set. You can be spinning fast but in reality the resistance is low. Two people on the same class can be putting in very different levels of effort. At least cycling vigorous involves consistent effort.

Do you have any idea on wattage, distance covered, speed and duration?
    Btw is the 600-900 for a full hour? Dies ut include the warm up and cool down section?