Toddlers and unusual food likes and dislikes

Options
My eldest was the type of child who will try anything and eat most things as long as they weren't too salty or potato based.

My youngest is a lot harder to to feed and picky.

While there are some foods he likes that I would expect quite a few 2/3 year old children to like (porridge, crisps, chips, stewed apples, bananas, cake etc). There are some foods I am always surprised for him to like and foods he really doesn't like or cares little for that have other people raise and eyebrow as if "all children" like them and he is weird for not liking them.

I will list his but wondered which "everybody likes" foods your child doesn't like and which "I wouldn't expect a toddler to like this food they like.

First the "are you trying to poison me mother?" foods which other children seem to like and he doesn't:
tomato ketchup
carrots
the breading on fish fingers
chicken nuggets
most chocolate flavoured things (unless it's cake)
macaroni cheese
cherry tomatoes

Then the "what's on your plate Mummy, that looks nice, I'll have it" list.
"Fishy" fish like mackerel and sardines
clams
aubergines
cornichons
pigeon and venison
*kitten* (for those not in the uk, they are a type of meatball with an offal base usually served with mash and gravy. The frozen out of a packet are not very nice but the ones you get from butchers can be yummy but there is no getting away from it, they do taste of liver).
chicken livers
kimchi, rice and egg.
grapefruit

So what are your children's' more unusual tastes?

Replies

• TheArmadillo
    TheArmadillo Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    The smallest one loves salami (including chorizo, pepperoni etc)
    She has also loved spicy food since she stole some when she was weaning - there seems to be no limit to the heat she can eat! She went through a stage of eating anything as long as it had hot sauce on.

On the flip side she doesn't like food without a strong flavour so hates meat and 2 veg type foods (won't touch a roast dinner)

*kitten* are considered a fab weaning food round here (the frozen brains ones or all the butchers do their own) so I think most the kids have eaten them, though maybe not liked them ;)

At the moment she is going through a fussy stage so her diet is mostly salami, ketchup and random stuff she has found/fluff (in the tradition of most toddlers).

She also doesn't believe pizza is pizza without pepperami or chorizo.
  • Oriole15
    Oriole15 Posts: 58
    Options
    My youngest would get on well with your daughter at the table, he certainly prefers food with stronger taste.