Shaken by Shin Splints - Tips? Stories? Motivation?

Options
Hi everyone -

I started the couch to 5k thing in October (2014) and continued to run 5k once/twice a week along with other exercise. Decided to step it up and do the couch to 10k program!!

Successfully completed a 10k run in May with a PB time. It wasn't until AFTER this race that I started having issues with shin splints. It started with a dull burning in the back of my calves and gradually spread to the sides and fronts of my lower legs. I stopped running altogether for the last 3 weeks and desperately want to get back at it.

Looking for people's experience with this!! Have you experienced shin splints? Have you been able to get back into running?

More background:

- My running shoes are only a couple months old
- I run with custom orthotics
- I mostly run on asphalt/short grass
- I run 2-3x/week with a short warmup/cool-down walk & stretching
- I eased into running over a few months using the C25K program
- No major increase in distance, speed or frequency of running

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    What is your foot strike OP?
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    when I started to have issues a OT friend of mine suggested that I run hoppier to minimize heel strike, but I would talk to the dr. rest is important. but you should be able to run again
  • krakenup
    krakenup Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Not sure of my foot strike - Any tips on how to analyse that (or what kind of professional I should speak to)??
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    The fact that it started in your calves makes me think it's more a muscle/tendon issue stressing the bone (the classic "shin splint" pain) rather than just impact forces. Little weaknesses and inflexibilities can easily build up over time even with smart training. Do you foam roll or otherwise stretch your calves, IT bands, hammies, quads? How is your hip/glute/core strength?
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    The fact that it started in your calves makes me think it's more a muscle/tendon issue stressing the bone (the classic "shin splint" pain) rather than just impact forces. Little weaknesses and inflexibilities can easily build up over time even with smart training. Do you foam roll or otherwise stretch your calves, IT bands, hammies, quads? How is your hip/glute/core strength?

That and you may need to do some exercises to strengthen your tibialis, hamstrings, hips, glutes, and some core work. This can be caused be over-pronation of your feet, which can be related to poor mobility or strength imbalance in the aforementioned muscles.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I changed the drop in my shoes and that helped. Also did more walking and less hill running.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Everything you list seems like you shouldn't be having classic shin splint issues. What are you doing between running days?
  • ercarroll311
    ercarroll311 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I used to run cross country, but had to quit due to them. It helped to wrap them some, but I've never solved the problem. The best I've been able to do is try a more gradual approach to running (and even walking) and try to strengthen those muscles through other exercise, as well. Oh, and it could help talking to someone at the shoe store. I don't mean like the shoe department at Target or anything, but in my town we have a store dedicated to runners and athletes, and they were helpful in watching how I walk/run/stand and determining the best fit for me in terms of arch support and all that.

I hope that helps!
  • ercarroll311
    ercarroll311 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Oh, I should add, mine started and has always been in the front of my legs, rather than my calves, so I agree with other posters that your issue may be a little different, and to definitely look into strengthening those other areas.
  • ShrinkingMan2015
    ShrinkingMan2015 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Did you buy a different type of shoe? I got shin splints a long time ago when I switched to a different brand of shoe. The doctor said -- for whatever reason -- my feet/legs did not like the new brand of shoe even though they were technically a "better" shoe than my old type. I rested for a week and then went back to the old brand and the shin splints were gone.
  • ldeoprecor
    ldeoprecor Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Shin splints shouldn't sideline you for more than 2-3 weeks, unless you continued to try running while you were still injured.

There are a ton of reasons that you could be suffering from shin splints. If you combine overpronation (and poor running mechanics) with old and worn shoes, that is usually what causes shin splints.
    krakenup wrote: »
    Not sure of my foot strike - Any tips on how to analyse that (or what kind of professional I should speak to)??

Best tip would be to just think about where your foot is striking when you run :)
  • Wendy1Fl
    Wendy1Fl Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    What was your warm up/cool down & stretching routine? I was constantly plagued with them in High School Track & Cross Country...
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    To the above, I should add my experience since you asked. I've been running for 4 years with no shin problems but since I had them in the past I have taken care from the start to do the "right" things to avoid them.

In high school I suffered with horrible shin splints while doing gymnastics. The problem was running vault on the concrete next to the basketball court and practicing moves like ariels and my balance beam routine on the lines on the basketball court. I'd go to the trainer every day and have my shins wrapped. I'd ice my legs in a colder than freezing bath after every practice. The only thing that "cured" them was the off-season.

I have a friend who suffered with them while running cross country in high school. She's recently taken up distance running again and finds the only thing that really helps her is wearing compression socks while and after she runs.
  • SimoneBee12
    SimoneBee12 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    @Wendy1Fl Not to hijack the thread or anything, but I've been having issues with shin splints too, what kind of warm up/cool down and stretching routine do you suggest?
  • JTB51
    JTB51 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone -

I started the couch to 5k thing in October (2014) and continued to run 5k once/twice a week along with other exercise. Decided to step it up and do the couch to 10k program!!

Successfully completed a 10k run in May with a PB time. It wasn't until AFTER this race that I started having issues with shin splints. It started with a dull burning in the back of my calves and gradually spread to the sides and fronts of my lower legs. I stopped running altogether for the last 3 weeks and desperately want to get back at it.

Looking for people's experience with this!! Have you experienced shin splints? Have you been able to get back into running?

More background:

- My running shoes are only a couple months old
    - I run with custom orthotics
    - I mostly run on asphalt/short grass
    - I run 2-3x/week with a short warmup/cool-down walk & stretching
    - I eased into running over a few months using the C25K program
    - No major increase in distance, speed or frequency of running

For years I have been trying to find solutions to help me, from the type of shoes to how I run. The only thing that has helped me is the surface I run on. Either grass or a tredmill are the only place I can run that does not cause this problem.
  • girlrandom
    girlrandom Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you haven't already, I would recommend getting a gait analysis done at your local running specialty store. I used to run all the time ans get shin splinta frequently. I stopped running for a while due to other needs and when I tried to get back I still got sodelined by chronic shin splints. I got an in depth gait analysis done in 2011 and have had maybe 2 true shin splint flare ups. I was in the total wrong shoe in both style and size, but didn't realize it at all. Once I switched to the shoes that were recpmmended to me, my running issues went away. I'm now back to running more regularly, have done a half a handful of 5K's, 2 Ragnar relays and all without any problems. Definitely get a good fit if you haven't already done so. If you have, I recomment a physical therapist for some strengthening exercises.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    It started with a dull burning in the back of my calves and gradually spread to the sides and fronts of my lower legs.

That doesn't sound like shin splints, more like a muscle strain that may have been exacerbated by continuing to run on it. That said, it might be worth speaking to a physio about it.

It might be foot strike, it might be muscle imbalance, it might be that your orthotics are no longer appropriate for the longer distances, or that the orthotics are worn out.

difficult to say with any more clarity really.

Shin splints are muscular tearing along the front of the shin bone, rather than in the calf.

• krakenup
    krakenup Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    So I combined your advice and did the following things:

- Booked an appointment for a gait analysis at the running room
    - Followed their advice and invested in a new pair of shoes (Brooks Glycerin) that better suit me
    - Spoke with a physiotherapist and got some new stretches and exercises to add to the routine

It has been 3 weeks now and I'm not feeling any pain from walking. Planning to ease back into running... low and slow mileage at first. Fingers crossed. Thanks everyone :)