Help! Your best weightloss/healthy lifestyle change advice!

Options
13»

Replies

• schufal
    schufal Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I recommend clean eating and food logging
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Ok!! Thanks all for the advice... Now, what about a drink every once in a while? What is a good choice for alchohol?
    It depends on what you like and how much you're willing to compromise what you like for lower calories.

Some people advocate not drinking at all. Your body will process alcohol differently than food and before food so it can slow things down for you.

At different times I've had different "go to" drinks. Light beers are always an option. If you prefer hard liquor pair one up with a zero calorie mixer. You'll be looking at about 100 calories per drink either way. I like flavored vodka or rum with Diet Coke or club soda.

Alternate a glass of water with your alcohol or have one of each at all times. You'll slow yourself down and save calories plus you'll feel better the next morning.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Five ounces of white wine is 120 calories. Nearly all alcohol will be the same. Spend it wisely.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I need advice on losing weight, exercise, healthy lifestyle!

Let me know how you do it!

Losing weight:
    1. Keep a calorie deficit most days. Don't beat yourself up if you have high calorie days or go off plan. It happens.
    2. Eat at intervals that fit your lifestyle and seem natural. Don't force yourself into eating at certain times just because someone else does or a magazine tells you to.
    3. Don't eat so little food that you are miserable. You can't lose all your fat overnight.

Exercise: Find some activity that you enjoy enough to stick with it.

Healthy lifestyle: Make weight control and exercise a lifelong habit. Surround yourself with supportive people. Be happy and love freely.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    My best advice is to look at this as a lifestyle change & not a diet. What I mean by that is don't give up all of your previous favorite foods but eat in a way that will be sustainable for life. If you have certain foods that will start a binge effect then cut them out until you can moderate them again. I find if I cut out too many of my favorite foods or view them as restricted then I will just binge & feel miserable.

I second buying a food scale since it's nice to see how inaccurate food serving sizes are for processed foods & great to measure dried rice & raw meats.

Also don't look at this as a dash/sprint but rather a marathon since you want to lose weight slowly & ensure you'll keep it off rather than do a crash diet.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I need advice on losing weight, exercise, healthy lifestyle!

Let me know how you do it!

For me it was coming to grips with the fact that I didn't get out of shape in a few months, and I didn't need to starve and over-work myself to lose all the weight in a few months. Fact is, it i a learning process that is not linear. Nor should it be taken as a hard line, strict rule diet. It is a lifestyle change that should flow and help balance your enjoyment of life.

With that, I DO NOT get too down on myself for wanting more or less food on any given day. Sometimes I can over eat for a week. While I make statements about needing to correct things and get on track, I know it is never that bad and I will right the ship. That IS part of the process.

And with that process, give yourself time. You don't pick up a guitar and expect to play it perfectly. No. You learn and practice it know you will get better at it as you learn and practice. Health and fitness is exactly the same. VERY few people will start a weight loss journey and be able to maintain it constantly , but that is who we celebrate in the success thread, while the rest of us who continue to struggle and work over years are seen as less committed or not as strong. But really, if you look at things, many of us fluctuate a lot when we start, but over time we correct ourselves even quicker, having learned how to moderate and maintain better. That should be the takeaway from it all.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Which reminds me, my big lesson this time around is that this is my body, my call. My plans were between me and my hubby and I stayed quiet for months until my confidence built, and I finally believed that this was a permanent change.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Get concerned about eating nutrient rich food within your calorie goal.

Add exercise as you can here and there to keep things going.

It really is that simple.

I have dropped 125 lbs or so.

It ain't rocket surgery, it is just determination and honesty about what you are actually eating.
  • IndiaGuerita1983
    IndiaGuerita1983 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    ASKyle wrote: »
    While others are saying you can lose weight without exercising I will throw this out there just for sh**s and giggles:

My sister and I started on the same day, with approximately the same amount of weight to lose (120 lbs). She chose to be more lenient in her food choices and she chose not to exercise consistently. In 10 months she lost 45 lbs.

I chose to eat 1400-1600 cals a day of food that I weighed and portioned out. For 10 months I did not have a single cheat meal/cheat day. I also exercised 4-6 days a week. (10-15 minutes of cardio when I first started and then by the end of the 10 months I was doing about 45 minutes of cardio and some type of strength exercises.) I lost 80 pounds.

Food for thought...

Congrats! But, your higher rate of loss was due to you being a greater caloric deficit... most likely thanks to your 1400-1600 weighed out calories.

That doesn't make any sense. I realize that I didn't add that my sister only ate between 1200 to 1300 calories a day. She just chose not to make healthier/cleaner choices. And she didn't exercise on a consistent basis.

I ate 1400 to 1600 cals a day - but only clean eating. And I exercised.

My point is/was...you can lose weight whether or not you exercise. The question is...do you have the patience to only lose 45 pounds in 10 months (without exercising) or would you prefer to see faster results? I like exercising. And I like results. So, personally I would choose healthy lifestyle + exercising.

• 2manyhats
    2manyhats Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    While others are saying you can lose weight without exercising I will throw this out there just for sh**s and giggles:

My sister and I started on the same day, with approximately the same amount of weight to lose (120 lbs). She chose to be more lenient in her food choices and she chose not to exercise consistently. In 10 months she lost 45 lbs.

I chose to eat 1400-1600 cals a day of food that I weighed and portioned out. For 10 months I did not have a single cheat meal/cheat day. I also exercised 4-6 days a week. (10-15 minutes of cardio when I first started and then by the end of the 10 months I was doing about 45 minutes of cardio and some type of strength exercises.) I lost 80 pounds.

Food for thought...

Love this!
  • G33K_G1RL
    G33K_G1RL Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    I am at 1,000. Cal. a day is that bad? or good?

Unless you are teeny, tiny or have been tested to have a very low metabolism, it's too little. Here's why: When you under-eat by too much, a lot of the weight you'll be losing will be from your lean muscle getting cannibalized because your body thinks you're starving. Muscle is easier to burn for energy than fat and when you lose weight too quickly that's where your body goes rather than fat stores. The end result is a slightly lower metabolism and a higher body fat percentage which will make it even easier for you to gain the weight back and harder to lose it the next time around.

It's much better to lose a little more slowly, lift weights to retain more lean muscle and help ensure that most of what you're losing is fat. Not only will you feel better, you'll look better when you reach your goal weight.

I have rarely seen this explained so clearly and succintly. Thank you!

For me, I started with the fitness, thinking I'd lose weight without working on my nutrition. Nope. Body composition changed a little, but no weight loss. Got serious about nutrition at the beginning of the year and I'm approaching 30 lbs lost. And wow, exercise is getting easier with less weight to carry around!

Protein shakes are great, but protein supplements are a food, and log them as so. I use them mostly when I exercise in the evening and I don't wan't a big meal before bed. I get all of my protein from whole foods, usually 120 g minimum a day. When I move to maintenance/recomp I'll really watch that number :)

I do drink alcohol. I'll have a beer or a glass of wine in the evening about once a week. Again it's a food, I log it as such. I recommend avoiding getting outright drunk though. Not only does it take a lot of calories, but in that state the pizza/burger/poutine is irresistible. Though, if you have a once in a lifetime occasion (graduation, new years in a special place etc.), go for it and savor it fully!

Be patient, and honest with yourself!
  • ercarroll311
    ercarroll311 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    You're right to call it a lifestyle change. That's exactly what it should be, not a quick fix then get back to what got you there. Because of that, you should consider what you can change for a lifetime. Always be looking for new ideas of things you can enjoy. For instance, I love Mexican food. I've learned (through Skinnytaste, here, Pinterest...) better ways to prepare the foods I love. Right now I have chicken breast and Rotel in the crockpot. When I get home it'll be ready to shred up and toss on a couple of corn tortillas. It's a healthier spin on what I love, and it's in moderation. Old me would have gone to the local Mexican place, eaten a basket of chips, maybe ordered cheese dip and a margarita... you get the idea. So for me, eating celery for 3 months might get me to the weight I want, but it's not a lifestyle change.

And the others on here are right--weigh your foods, measure things, don't allow yourself to fudge on your calories. Exercise is a great thing for your health and to cut back some extra calories, but ultimately, it comes down to what you're eating with weight loss. Most people on here love food, and I've found the hard way that abandoning completely the foods you love will only get you back on here after you fall off the wagon.

Best of luck! You've definitely come to the right place!
  • ercarroll311
    ercarroll311 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    For alcohol, anything in moderation. Measure it. The hardest part for me is not letting a couple of glasses of wine lead to me saying "oh well" and starting to snack and drink more.

One more thing, and this is something I discovered recently. If you're having trouble staying on track, you're wanting to grab some crap, thinking you can't do 3, 6, 12 months like this: just think about today. Can I stay on track today? Looking at it step by step makes it so much easier for me. I always think yeah, I can hold off on the pizza and breadsticks for today.