Calorie adjusments - confused

Options
eshnna
eshnna Posts: 109 Member
I don't understand this why does it say I burned 340s but then it subtracted calories from my exercise?
This just started with the new app update. What is my true number?

axc0hy7ic3ys.jpg
vamhklen4nyk.jpg

Replies

• KAWittler1970
    KAWittler1970 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I dont know but everyday i add in my workout it take out and steps i had the rest of the day. If you get it figured out please share info.
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    You have negative calorie adjustment check. it will deduct from your projected calories for the day, or total calories for the day, the difference between apple and mfp
  • eshnna
    Options
    What does this mean?
  • cyronius
    cyronius Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Ok, so in your first image (and your third one), it's showing that you've eaten 726 calories worth of food out of your 1200. But you've also done 302 calories of exercise above and beyond MFPs base prediction for the day. You've "earned these back" so they're added to the calories you've got left for the day, for a final total of 776.

The second image is showing you the calorie burn totals that have been calculated for you by Apple health based on your exercises.

The fourth image is showing the calculation of 302 that is used in your first image. In this case, you've got the 3 apple health exercise calculations (which add up to the 343 calories listed in your second image). Then you've got the fitbit adjustment. The fitbit adjustment is basically the fitbit saying that you haven't actually burned quite as many calories as MFP and Apple think you have. So it reduces your total by 41 calories (bringing you to 302, which is the adjustment shown in your first image)
  • eshnna
    Options
    Ok that is interesting because I am using an apple watch to track my exercises. The apple watch doesn't count my resting calories already, so it is already deducted from my totals. I think I am going to delete the steps calotie adjustment, that or limit MFP from accesing my workouts from my apple health app. :| So confusing
  • cyronius
    Options
    eshnna wrote: »
    Ok that is interesting because I am using an apple watch to track my exercises. The apple watch doesn't count my resting calories already, so it is already deducted from my totals. I think I am going to delete the steps calotie adjustment, that or limit MFP from accesing my workouts from my apple health app. :| So confusing

The problem comes from the fact that you've basically got two different devices doing the same thing, and linking back to your MFP account, and ultimately, the Fitbit trumps the Apple adjustments, because it will negatively or positively adjust anything it doesn't agree with.

If you have reason to believe that the apple data is more accurate than the Fitbit data, your only real option is to delete the connection between your Fitbit and MFP. That will stop the calorie adjustment, but will also stop every other connection between the two services as well.
  • eshnna
    Options
    cyronius wrote: »

The problem comes from the fact that you've basically got two different devices doing the same thing, and linking back to your MFP account, and ultimately, the Fitbit trumps the Apple adjustments, because it will negatively or positively adjust anything it doesn't agree with.

If you have reason to believe that the apple data is more accurate than the Fitbit data, your only real option is to delete the connection between your Fitbit and MFP. That will stop the calorie adjustment, but will also stop every other connection between the two services as well.

It is actually an apple watch not a fitbit. It gets my step info from there. But you are right it is reading it from two different sources 1) exercise from the health app on my iPhone and 2) steps directly from my watch.

• eshnna
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Ok the number is now positive.
    hj52cu02a3hr.jpg
  • cyronius
    Options
    It's positive now because you've done significantly more steps, so it no longer thinks MFP has overestimated your burn, rather it thinks MFP has now underestimated, and is adjusting it appropriately.
  • ScubaSteve1962
    edited June 2015
    Options
    If your watch and your app have the same amount of step, and the same calories, having both of them link to your account isn't a problem. The confusion is that they are linked all day, so your calorie estimate will change all day. The health app is getting it's information from your watch.
  • eshnna
    Options
    I am thinking that since the apple watch has a HRM then the readings are pretty accurate and it also does not take into account resting calories when reporting to the Health app. So I don't appreciate MFP calorie adjustments :s
  • ScubaSteve1962
    Options
    I am thinking that since the apple watch has a HRM then the readings are pretty accurate and it also does not take into account resting calories when reporting to the Health app. So I don't appreciate MFP calorie adjustments :s

Most activity monitors do take in account for resting calories. Mine calls them BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) it separates them from my activity and training calories. For MFP it adds activity and BMR together, if they are lower, it subtracts and then adds my exercise calories and vice versa. I don't sync with my training app until I'm going to bed, when I used to do it the morning, it would have a large deficit for the day, even with my exercise calories added in. But I'm not sure about Apple watch.
  • eshnna
    Options

Most activity monitors do take in account for resting calories. Mine calls them BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) it separates them from my activity and training calories. For MFP it adds activity and BMR together, if they are lower, it subtracts and then adds my exercise calories and vice versa. I don't sync with my training app until I'm going to bed, when I used to do it the morning, it would have a large deficit for the day, even with my exercise calories added in. But I'm not sure about Apple watch.

:):D I thought I was special! Haha. I am very new to this. My husband gave me the watch to get motivated and I am trying to understand.

Would you recommend leaving my settings as they are? Not counting syncing exercise or steps?
    I had it setup where I only saw my steps and my calorie burn estimate. All of a sudden my exercise activity started showing up too (with the latest update).
  • ScubaSteve1962
    Options

:):D I thought I was special! Haha. I am very new to this. My husband gave me the watch to get motivated and I am trying to understand.

Would you recommend leaving my settings as they are? Not counting syncing exercise or steps?
    I had it setup where I only saw my steps and my calorie burn estimate. All of a sudden my exercise activity started showing up too (with the latest update).

Just have to remember when you look at it earlier in the day, that it doesn't count (LOL) Look at the previous day and your progress :smiley:
  • PurdueGuy2001
    PurdueGuy2001 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    For me, my Apple Watch is horrible at counting calories for walks, runs, and such.

I use a HRM with Endomondo to track my more strenuous outtings, as well as a Fitbit One for day-to-day stuff.

Just recently, for an excursion, Endomondo and Fitbit calculated 650 calories (well, one was 648, the other 651). The Apple Watch? 240 cals.

I realize Endomondo and Fitbit might be on the high side, and are a total, and the Apple Watch is just "Active Calories"...but my BMR for that hour is around 80-85. So taking that out, and Endomondo/Fitbit shows up as 565. That's 300+ cals off from Apple.

The Apple Watch appears to match the the calculators for walking on a level surface for someone my size for an hour. It doesn't account for heart rate, etc. (even though it shows my heart rate at the end of the workout).