fruit/veggies satisfaction question.

Options
2»

Replies

• fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    SuggaD wrote: »
    It's different for everyone I think. Protein and fats don't satiate me. I need dem carbs. Fruit makes me hungry, but cooked veggies fill me up (not salads!).

me too its funny for a lot of people if they eat carbs they get hungry really fast but if i drink a smoothie vs a bagel same calories the bagel fills me longer. plus i really really luh da potatoes and rice, and pasta, and bread.. mmm carbs.
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    This is why balance is so important. If I eat only veggies and never fats or proteins (is that even possible), you're right. You can feel like you're bursting at the seams and still feel starving! I do find I don't need as much protein or fat everyday as I originally thought I might.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Ya, just fruit or veggies doesn't satisfy me, but an apple and 2 T peanut butter will keep me full for several hours.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I need either protein or fat with the fruit or veggies for them to be filling. I used to think I was a volume eater, but it turns out I'm not. I seem to do best with satiety with somewhat evenly balanced macros.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Veggies will fill me up right quick.

Fruit though...

Ive eaten the whole watermelon AND WANTED MORE!!!
  • fishshark
    Options
    Veggies will fill me up right quick.

Fruit though...

Ive eaten the whole watermelon AND WANTED MORE!!!

i feel that way too but i love watermelon to an insane amount.. just like i could eat a whole bad of chips and want more. mmm!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I enjoy eating a whole bag of lettuce for about 45 calories / 6 carbs / 3 grams protein.
    I eat it right out of bag with a fork, or more usually, with my fingers.

zbkb9m9650id.jpeg
  • fishshark
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    I enjoy eating a whole bag of lettuce for about 45 calories / 6 carbs / 3 grams protein.

zbkb9m9650id.jpeg

i wish i wanted to do that. I'm more of a eat chips right out of the bag kinda gal haha!
  • faithyang
    faithyang Posts: 297 Member
    Options

zbkb9m9650id.jpeg

Hey I do something similar!

I tend to crisp veggies in the oven with no oil or sometimes a spray or two of olive oil and then snack on them when I get the munchies!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    faithyang wrote: »

zbkb9m9650id.jpeg

Hey I do something similar!

I tend to crisp veggies in the oven with no oil or sometimes a spray or two of olive oil and then snack on them when I get the munchies!
    That is a great idea too. B)

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

zbkb9m9650id.jpeg

Really? I would not have expected that! (Maybe I am more shocked that you've divulged something personal - maybe the second time I've seen that, instead of your usual 100% solid advice expressed in language clear enough for everyone to get. I am also saying, I appreciate your presence, RodaRose :) )
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I love the Fresh Express lettuce. I don't eat it like chips (although that's certainly a great idea worth considering!), but mix it up with avocado, sliced almonds, mandarin oranges, and the canned French fried onions that usually go with green bean casseroles. No salad dressing needed.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I don't ever have a meal of just vegetables so I couldn't say if they could fill me up in the right quantities. But they do add a lot of bulk to your overall plate for very few calories. I typically do 8 ounces of protein and then a huge pile of vegetables and I am full after the meal. I use fruit as part of my breakfast routine or my in between meal snacks. They are great under 100 calories snack items. I often eat a pound of strawberries a day and they definitely fill me up.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Same as others, for me it only works if I get some fat and protein with them (and whole grains/starches as well, typically). Annoyingly, too many veggies make me feel bloated, but not full.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Fruit-wise, i guess Banana's are pretty filling as a quick snack (as opposed to say a big bowl of Strawberries).
    Veg does help to bulk up meals, but i could never feel full eating just a plate of vegetables.
    Same with Protein, i couldn't just eat Chicken and feel full, without having Carbs with it.
    Carbs i do actually find filling, but generally would be no fun eaten by themselves. Imagine eating a plate of Spaghetti with nothing on it. :#
    I could easily eat a portion of Chips (v. thick french fries) by themselves though with some Ketchup and feel full.....although it helps that they've been cooked in loads of Fat. ;)