Beginning weight training, slow reps or fast?

Options
2»

Replies

• Toonz969
    Toonz969 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    First a foremost, GO SLOW until you have the form and control down. If your weight, hand or arm deviates in position while doing the rep, you are not in control. Slow easy reps, even lower weights at first. Once you KNOW that you can control the weight. Then take any of the techniques and see what works.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I don't even know where to begin with free weights, lol, will need a personal trainer. But, I do want to do whatever it takes to form this body to the best shape it can be.

Weight machines are not the worst thing ever. They are a great way to get started, especially when feeling intimidated by "that side of the gym". They are also useful when building up basic strength and when adding weight.

If you can, go to the gym when it's a bit quieter and try some exercises with some dumbbells. Is there a group class that does any kind of resistance training? Also a great place to learn some moves and have some guidance about form and such. You can also see if it's possible to have a gym staff show you some strength moves to get you started. A lot of gyms have orientations. After that, if you're still not comfortable, getting a session or two with a trainer could be beneficial.

I am sorry, but yes they are…

and instead of being afraid of the "other side of the gym" why not just walk in there like you own the place and do your workout out and leave….

as someone who is on that side, no one cares if you are a newbie; we actually have more respect for the ones that come over to "the dark side of the gym"…..

just make sure you have basic etiquette.

This guy, he has some good advice and knows what's up. If someone on "our" side of the gym gives you a hard time, it's not your failing, it's theirs. As a lifter myself, with friends who lift, I know that we don't make fun of beginners, we encourage you or respect you from a distance. Some of us might even offer pointers or assistance if we think you are doing something that might cause you to hurt yourself in the immediate or near future.

The programs listed by ndj1979 are all great beginner programs and perfect for anyone, of any ability level to start out with. Watch some youtube videos to help understand the form, or if you're a reader, Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe is a great read, albeit a little technical in nature.

Good luck.

• faithstimenow
    faithstimenow Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Thank you
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    I have started weight training, will I benefit from slow reps or fast?

Neither......controlled reps with good formis best IMO
  • darrenj1987
    darrenj1987 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Try looking for a metabolic circuit training plan its great for weight loss and includes weights depending on the circuit but alot of muscle fitness I just finished a 8 week plan lost 40lb and gaining alot of muscle growth
  • BronxBStanfield
    BronxBStanfield Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    As some others have already stated, you should look into programs designed for those new to weightlifting. Bodybuilding.com is a great place to start as well as stronglifts. Right now, learning form is key, and imo, slow and steady is best. Good luck!
  • faithstimenow
    Options
    I will say, I had to go at a different time of day, and I was using a machine, which is next to free weight equipment, and this guy was texting his buddy, who was across the gym, who was also doing free weights, pointing at me, and laughing....really? I finished my set and moved to another machine until he moved. When I returned to finish, his friend told him to be nice. Now that is ridiculous, we are all there to serve the same purpose. That's what lurks on that side of the gym in the evening. If I workout today, it will have to be the same time of day again...With immaturity. This type of behavior could keep a person from going...but I am not letting no rudeness get in the way of getting my body back!
  • DaddieCat
    Options
    Have you made complaints to the gym management? No gym will put up with that kind of behavior... or they shouldn't because that's how they lose customers.
  • faithstimenow
    Options
    No, tried to ignore it, and wait until I can workout in peace. I will say something to the management if it happens again. I really go to workout by myself, and not pay attention to those around me....I just glanced at him..can't really say details of his features, but could say he was wearing red shoes. :)
  • DaddieCat
    Options
    I'm an everyday gym goer... and I can tell you right now, that no person who is serious would behave that way as we are usually too busy doing our own thing to even bother looking at you unless it a "hey, that person is new here... let's hope they stick around and make some good progress". Those that do behave that way don't tend to stick around too long because we either complain to management for you or we have a nice "heart to heart" with them.

I recommend that you talk to management, tell them when and as much as you know and then report it again if it happens. If they don't do anything, it's time to find a new gym that respects you.
  • faithstimenow
    Options
    So, this was my best day yet. I came to realization, the machines will only take me to a certain point, and then I will have to move to the other side of the gym. I am almost half way on the machines, and I have just started. Thank you for motivating me, and answering my question.