Tracking because of GD...

Options
I've been on MFP for a while, but not usually in the community area.

I'm pregnant with our 4th child and just found out last week I have gestational diabetes. Pre-pregnancy I'm about 75 pounds overweight... about 50 over where I'd like to be.

So I'm tracking not so much to lose weight right now, but to maintain and to keep track of my carbs and sugars.

I attend a diabetes class and get my meter on Friday, so the real crackdown starts then.

Replies

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    My daughter had that last year. She failed that sugar test, but was super careful about testing and eating well for the rest of her pregnancy and everything turned out fine. Good luck! I know how hard it is. Even though it's been 34 years since I have had a baby, I remember that what I wanted to eat the most was ice cream. One thing I learned from my daughter and her dietician was that she didn't necessarily have to give up all sugar, but that it was better to eat sugar combined with fat or protein because it helped the sugar slow down on its way into the bloodstream. So, in fact, for all of us, ice cream is better than fat free frozen yogurt or sherbet. And it's why sugar in fruit isn't so bad because the fiber slows down the release.