My biceps are too big.

Options
This is going to sound kinda silly, but I want my arms to look thinner, and my biceps are too big. I think it's a result of doing way too many bicep curls when I didn't know what else to do with weights. I also swam for years so I feel like my arms/shoulders are just overall too big. I haven't swam in a good decade but people still ask me if I'm a swimmer :( I've basically just stopped trying to work them specifically, but it has been at least a year since I specifically worked them and I don't feel like they are shrinking. Maybe a little, but not enough. I'm hoping they'll go down as I lose a few more lbs, but I don't like the bump. Suggestions?

Replies

• jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Try some different exercises, look into more compound movements such as squats, deadlifts, bench press, O/H press and so on. Don't focus on isolation unless you specifically want to see results in that muscle group. Plus compound lifts with have a greater metabolic effect and increased amounts of calories burned. Also, unless you're rocking 14" guns as a woman I doubt you need to worry about arm size. Toned muscles are always good haha
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    If the problem is the overall size of your arms, triceps will matter more than biceps when your arms aren't flexed.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    -Said no one ever.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    I'll glady take your "problem" ......
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    It's probably just your perception. As you continue to lose you will also lose size on your arms. However, this may mean they will be more defined, looking more muscular to you-even though they are smaller.

Strong arms are badass on a woman, especially nice shoulders. I have literally been stopped by strangers bc they wanted to comment on my arms. Lose the weight, and embrace your guns. I guarantee you look better than you think
  • CostaRica120
    CostaRica120 Posts: 274 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I'm getting married at the end of the year, and I feel like my arms just look too big in my strapless dress. From the side I feel like they just look too big compared to the rest of my body. I guess I'll just keep going with the weightloss and hope that it comes off my arms instead of my butt. Honestly, I'm pretty fine with my arms most of the time, but I just want to look thin in my wedding dress...not athletic, which is what I think I tend more towards now. So I agree, toned muscles are lovely...but not the look I want for my wedding day.

I don't understand the comment about triceps mattering more in the overall size?? What I don't like is the bump at the front..my bicep. When not flexed, I want my arms to just be straight up and down, rather than, I don't know, the smooshed capital D that they look like now.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    I'm getting married at the end of the year, and I feel like my arms just look too big in my strapless dress. From the side I feel like they just look too big compared to the rest of my body. I guess I'll just keep going with the weightloss and hope that it comes off my arms instead of my butt. Honestly, I'm pretty fine with my arms most of the time, but I just want to look thin in my wedding dress...not athletic, which is what I think I tend more towards now. So I agree, toned muscles are lovely...but not the look I want for my wedding day.

I don't understand the comment about triceps mattering more in the overall size?? What I don't like is the bump at the front..my bicep. When not flexed, I want my arms to just be straight up and down, rather than, I don't know, the smooshed capital D that they look like now.

You said your arms seem big. Triceps determine a large amount of the arm's entire size, particularly when the bicep isn't flexed, so if it purely about reducing the arm's size, the tricep also matters.
    If you're most bothered by the actual bicep peak, then only the bicep really comes into play.
  • CostaRica120
    CostaRica120 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Gotcha! Thanks :)
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Just want to add that I think you look stunning in that dress, and I think that most of this problem is in your head.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    The only thing the makes me more self conscious than my huge biceps is my massive pen%s. The struggle is real.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Photo please, of these "huge" biceps.

slide_321105_3009299_free.gif
  • demoiselle2014
    demoiselle2014 Posts: 474 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    You look gorgeous in that dress. It may be that a strapless gown creates the illusion that your shoulders and arms are bigger than they actually are because the span of your shoulders and arms are not broken up by straps or lace. I have very narrow shoulders and wider hips--and if I had a big enough chest to hold it up, I'd wear strapless dresses to balance my body out.

If you haven't been working out your biceps in isolation in a long time, what kind of workouts are you giving your upper body?
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Try something like Crossfit that does not use any isolation movements. Working the whole body as one is both more natural to your body and should produce a lean and balance shape. That being said I don't think you look disproportionate from your pic so maybe you could also think about re-evaluating your body image and how realistic your expectations are of yourself and your body.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options

If you keep losing weight you may lose some size in your arms. My legs always look big compared to the rest of my body, and my arms get super slim before the rest of my body. Meh, genetics are not always fun!

If you think there is too much shape-Stop working your arms and keep losing weight. The muscle will atrophy over time. Keep in mind that they may just stay the same size-only get softer. Again, though, I think it's mostly in your mind. I'm going to second audii and say you look fab in your dress-not overly athletic or "muscley" at all.
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    slideaway1 wrote: »
    The only thing the makes me more self conscious than my huge biceps is my massive pen%s. The struggle is real.

LOL hilarious!!!!
  • biodigit
    biodigit Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I really don't see anything out of the ordinary in your pics as far as your arms go - they seem normal size. In order to have 'big guns' especially on females, you would have to lift really heavy and on top of that consume calories in a huge surplus.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    -Said no one ever.

I cannot fathom...
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Wedding dresses always accentuate the arms. That's why I wear one to the gym. :)
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Look. I'm 5'3" and in case you can't tell in my very blue profile picture, I've got shoulders like a football player. At least your arms sound muscular. I'm working on it, but I still got the bye-bye arms that wave to people.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    OP probably has 11" arms.