Daily Fat Percentage (?)

Options
2»

Replies

• BJG7_UK
    BJG7_UK Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I started cutting again recently with 40:30:30 C:F:P

When I was bulking I increased my carbs :)
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    Cheesy567 wrote: »
    You might be interested to hear the new USA dietary fat guidelines, you can listen to them here ahead of publication in JAMA next week:
    http://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/f/b/8/fb8fbe0fa2bd5839/US_Dietary_Guidelines_and_Lifting_the_Total_Dietary_Fat_Ban.mp3?c_id=9260580&expiration=1435497260&hwt=240c632b0336f1a08c38bdf5115160e4

OMG that was very interesting. I cannot believe they finally got their collective heads out of their collective rears. The implications for the school lunch programs and product packaging should be fascinating. I bet there are lobby groups working right now to stop this from making it into the FDA recommendations. Can you imagine all the "low fat" sugar based yogurts and cereals that would need to remove their "healthy" labels if the 30% rule didn't apply.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    triciab79 wrote: »
    rozalie13 wrote: »
    I keep mine at 80% carbs, less than 10% fat and less than 10% protein. It's working great I'm steadily losing weight and gaining energy.
    You eat fat, you gain fat. It's not rocket science :)

Um No, I cannot believe people still think this. Did we take a DeLorean back to 1985?

Maybe the '90s, as it sounds like Susan Powter.

I really loved the '90s. If we are going to bring back stuff, can we maybe start with my 20s or something, and not "fat makes you fat!"
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    triciab79 wrote: »
    Cheesy567 wrote: »
    You might be interested to hear the new USA dietary fat guidelines, you can listen to them here ahead of publication in JAMA next week:
    http://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/f/b/8/fb8fbe0fa2bd5839/US_Dietary_Guidelines_and_Lifting_the_Total_Dietary_Fat_Ban.mp3?c_id=9260580&expiration=1435497260&hwt=240c632b0336f1a08c38bdf5115160e4

OMG that was very interesting. I cannot believe they finally got their collective heads out of their collective rears. The implications for the school lunch programs and product packaging should be fascinating. I bet there are lobby groups working right now to stop this from making it into the FDA recommendations. Can you imagine all the "low fat" sugar based yogurts and cereals that would need to remove their "healthy" labels if the 30% rule didn't apply.

I don't think it affects the claim that low fat dairy is preferable to full fat (I don't personally agree), as the recommendations are still skeptical of sat fat, especially from animal products, as I understand it.

(Low fat yogurt should not have more than a de minimis difference in the amount of sugar as the same amount of full fat. If yogurt has extra sugar it's because it's sweetened or flavored, which is done to various kinds of full fat just as often, and is pretty simple to spot if you care about it. I am skeptical that anyone still considers sugary cereals health foods, but I've always hated cold cereal, so may have a warped idea about this, I guess.)
  • scastor27
    scastor27 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I keep mine at 80% carbs, less than 10% fat and less than 10% protein. It's working great I'm steadily losing weight and gaining energy.

Aaah, it's all so clear now!
  • M30834134
    M30834134 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    scastor27 wrote: »

Aaah, it's all so clear now!

:blush:
  • CherylanneCorsini
    CherylanneCorsini Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I guess I better go back to more raw foods. I'm still not sure where all the fat (in my food) comes from. I DO know that's why I'm fat lmao!!! :)
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »

No... just no. You don't need rocket science, you need some common sense.

Dietary Fat Guidelines: a minimum of 0.40 - 0.45 grams per 1 lb. bodyweight (unless obese)

Protein Guidelines: 0.60-0.80 grams per 1 lb. bodyweight is the upper range for new muscle synthesis.

Fill in the rest of your calories with nutritious and/or high fiber carbs.

silly question, are those dietry guidelines the same for men and women?

• momar23
    momar23 Posts: 292 Member
    Options

Fat does not make you fat.

Excess calories make you fat.
    It does not matter where they come from, fat, carbs, protein.

I agree! Fat does not make you FAT.

This^^
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    IzzyBooNZ1 wrote: »
    sixxpoint wrote: »

No... just no. You don't need rocket science, you need some common sense.

Dietary Fat Guidelines: a minimum of 0.40 - 0.45 grams per 1 lb. bodyweight (unless obese)

Protein Guidelines: 0.60-0.80 grams per 1 lb. bodyweight is the upper range for new muscle synthesis.

Fill in the rest of your calories with nutritious and/or high fiber carbs.

silly question, are those dietry guidelines the same for men and women?

Yes. They are not gender specific. However, sedentary and obese people will have slightly different guidelines for protein and dietary fat.
  • CherylanneCorsini
    CherylanneCorsini Posts: 50 Member
    Options

Apparently to some, it is.
    It's you

Fat does not make you fat. Excess calories, in any form, makes you fat.

OP: if you're just starting to track your macros (fat, carbs, protein) - pick one (my recommendation is protein) and focus on meeting or exceeding that goal, every day. After you've got a handle on that, pick another (again, my opinion is fat). Then worry about the final one.

Baby steps. :)

Thank you, it does make sense that I should pay more attention to my protein intake above all else.