I cannot picture myself being slim

Options
It has been 30 years now that I have been the weight I want to go back to now and I just cannot imagine myself being that slim again (and how fat I felt then at 64kg/167cm! ok, I was only 13 years old then, silly me!).
I think this is an obstacle as somehow I seem to shy away from the thought to be truly slim. I weighed less before but at some point it always seemed to stop and the urge to lose weight disappeared. I want to lose 20 kg and stay there. when did being / becoming slim start to feel normal to you?

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Being "normal" or "slim" is relative. I think you just wake up one day and say "Hey, I look pretty good"! I'm 5'11" (180 cm) female and weighed 84 kg, now I weigh 76kg (166lbs) and am fairly pleased with where I am, although I'd still like to lose another 5 kg, slowly. Just take things day by day, and try to make progress, to better your situation a little more. That's all any of us can do. If you're doing that you are a success. B)
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above statement. I do think you wake up one day having changed your attitude about yourself.

I remember, when I started college, I got Ds in my pottery class (I was really bad). But when I came back after the summer break for my Sophomore year, suddenly I was one of the top students in class and never got lower than an A again. (And lest y'all think this is a "basket weaving" effort, try it yourself first).

It was much the same when I reached my goal weight. I kept going into dressing rooms with clothing that was my self-perceived size and having to ask the sales associate to get me a smaller size. One day, I picked up the size I had actually been buying and brought it into the dressing room myself. And never looked back.
  • buxbert
    buxbert Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    thanks for your answers! the mind process seems to be very slow. I have lost 5 kg so far and with exercise I can definitely see changes in my body. I think it's great and I already enjoy wearing clothes that wouldn't fit 4 weeks ago. they are in my "standard size" from before kids so that's great actually. I have been wearing that size for so long that I just cannot imagine to go for smaller. It seems completely unreal! I am looking forward to losing more weight but it also scares me (and that's what I find a bit weird). It would mean to step out of the world of being the chubby one into something that seems to be more competitive less comforting. does that make sense at all?
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Yes, but you have to realize that it's gradual, and you have time to adjust, and then adjust again. We humans are flexible, unless you let mindgames get in your way. Just keep going, and you'll know when you're happy to stop. B)
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    My problem has been the opposite. I thought of myself as slim, even when I weighed 270. It surprises me to realize that a lot of my friends didn't know me when I had my weight under control before and many of those who did have forgotten. It is taking them some time to get used to seeing me like this, but this is how I felt the whole time.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i can't say I know what I'll look like when I'm "done"
    I'm going healthier and fitter which is nothing I really had along with the slim. I've been slim but now that I'm getting fitter, I can't really picture it either

though when I looked in the mirror yesterday, I think I caught a glimpse of it
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    In my mind, I feel like I am not meant to be a fat person, but I still can't really picture what a healthier me looks like. Definitely makes it hard for visualizing.