B -12

Options
Shetchncn1
Shetchncn1 Posts: 260 Member
I have heard good things about B -12. Anyone that has experience in taking that vitamin - opinions?

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a deficiency or problems obtaining b12 from normal food sources there is no need for a supplement. If your worried about your levels get you doctor to test you. If your B12 levels and stores are fine taking a supplement will acheive nothing as your body will just let the excess pass through.
  • arathena720
    arathena720 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I have an anxiety disorder and I take a vitamin rich in vitamin b vitamins for stress. It helped a lot, along with a diet geared towards foods that reduced stress, until menopause hit. Since then I've added in celexa, which has made a big difference.
  • jumblejups
    jumblejups Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Both my husband and I take it in different forms for different reasons. He has hydroxocobalamin injected every couple of months for pernicious anaemia (his body doesn't absorb B12 naturally). I take a high strength B Complex vitamin daily due to slightly low B12 stores and low energy levels (all related to an underactive thyroid). According to my doctor, who also works in fitness, he says it's great stuff in that it's generally good for you and nothing bad will happen if you take it when your stores aren't low. But, supplementation is not a necessity and it won't make a big difference to you if you're fine to start off with. He also recommends first sorting out diet before supplementing as some issues will be remedied through eating well, eg absorbing vitamins and minerals through healthy food, and then once that's stable you can re-evaluate whether supplementation is necessary/useful.