Eggs

Options
13»

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese is a nice source of protein if you're looking to add another one. I like it with chopped veggies, fruit, or pumpkin puree.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i gladly pay $4/ dozen for local eggs and not the tasteless crap that stores sell.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    AsISmile wrote: »
    I pay €1,50 for 6 Organic free range eggs.
    We could get eggs much cheaper, but we get them from a retailer that gets them directly from the local farms.
    This way the farmer gets a better price than from large supermarket chains, and we know the chickens are treated well.

Yes, these are considerations for me as well.

It's semi-rural where I live and I can't drive down a back road without seeing a sign for eggs. I like to buy from the nice lady with the beautiful garden whose husband sharpens my tools and will be selling tomatoes, zucchini, and summer squash on the roadside soon. She bumped her prices up from $2.25 to $2.75 recently.

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I went into the store for eggs and only eggs. So, when they rang up, I noticed the price. They were pasteurized, so always more expensive there, but holy God in heaven, I almost had me a heart attack. I was like, "For eggs?!"

The ones I get fresh, from a person who has chickens, have not increased in price.

Lots of people add meat if they want more protein at breakfast.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Erfw7471 wrote: »
    We have Kwik Trips down South here too - I very rarely go in so I had no idea about the deals there but will check things out next time I'm by there.

It is a different company. The ones around here are based in LaCrosse, Wisconsin and only have stores in Wisconsin, Eastern Minnesota and Eastern Iowa. They buy their eggs and dairy from local farmers and ship to the stores daily, which is why they are always so fresh and lower price: they cut out the middleman.

• scastor27
    scastor27 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I've lucked out! Started getting my eggs from a coworker, 2 dozen for 5$ or she sometimes prefers to be paid in coffee during the week.
  • Erfw7471
    Erfw7471 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Erfw7471 wrote: »
    We have Kwik Trips down South here too - I very rarely go in so I had no idea about the deals there but will check things out next time I'm by there.

It is a different company. The ones around here are based in LaCrosse, Wisconsin and only have stores in Wisconsin, Eastern Minnesota and Eastern Iowa. They buy their eggs and dairy from local farmers and ship to the stores daily, which is why they are always so fresh and lower price: they cut out the middleman.

Oh, you're right - ours are QuikTrip, lol. That's excellent how your stores work with local farmers, that's a great service to provide to consumers.
  • DKG28
    DKG28 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Think about the nutrition and value compared with other foods - I think up to about $.25/egg is a fair price. The reason you can get $.99/dozen eggs is because the stores take a hit on that staple item knowing that if you shop there because you like that price, you'll buy something else too that's profitable.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    + 1 person amazed at the low egg prices there. In Australia, free range are around $5 a dozen, last I looked.

Yep, I pay $5 a dozen straight from the farm, they're around $6-7 from the grocery store.

I'm forever marvelling at the low prices Americans pay. But you have to remember their population is a bajillion times more than Australia's, and their wages are a hell of a lot lower than ours.

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    DKG28 wrote: »
    Think about the nutrition and value compared with other foods - I think up to about $.25/egg is a fair price. The reason you can get $.99/dozen eggs is because the stores take a hit on that staple item knowing that if you shop there because you like that price, you'll buy something else too that's profitable.

Exactly. They thrive on consumer loyalty and for that type of business where every gas station near them has the same price for a gallon of gas it is the extras that draw the customer to them rather than their competitor down the street.

• canoepug56
    canoepug56 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Asda uk,30 eggs & £3.20
  • lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Smoothie with protein powder, almond milk, cottage cheese, a couple frozen banana cubes, greek yogurt and a tbsp of peanut butter. Keeps me full for ages and jam packed with protein.