Options
2»

Replies

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    alicer461 wrote: »
    phew thats not as dauwnting now :) thanks everyone, its great to have help from such knoledgeable people on here:)

You could probably sit on the couch and watch TV all day and burn 1200 calories. (depending on your age, weight and height...although I wouldn't recommend it). You should probably play around with some TDEE calculators. TDEE = total daily energy expenditure. This is an estimate of how many calories you burn per day, including exercise and activity. Your BMR is your basal metabolic rate. This is the amount of calories you burn based on body functions alone. If your BMR is 1300 calories, you ate 1200 for the day, and did absolutely nothing, you'd still be in a calorie deficit. Make sense?

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

• darrenj1987
    darrenj1987 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Try looking for a metabolic circuit training plan its great for weight loss and includes weights depending on the circuit but alot of muscle fitness I just finished a 8 week plan lost 40lb and gaining alot of muscle growth

This person seems to float around threads giving exactly the same answer.

The answer is that everyone has different goals and methods work differently for everyone. Try both, find what you like and what you think works. If you lift, find a program that you like and stick with it for a while. Don't program hop or you will defeat your purposes. If you like cardio, do cardio. They both have different purposes and lead to different results. It depends on your goals.

No not exactly how I work on these if you saw the same answer I gave on another thread it's because I felt the same answer applied sure advice is advice regardless if it's copied or taken from elsewhere is it not? Why try writing it twice when some clever sod created copy and paste :
  • LolaKarwowski
    LolaKarwowski Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I lift heavy and will now incorporate HIIT workouts.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    alicer461 wrote: »
    thanks for all the help guys, i think i will change and do cardio 3 days and 2 days of weights/ cardio mix :). when people say cardio deficit what does this mean? burning off more than you eat? I'm sticking to a strict 1200 calories to beguine with

1200 calories + exercise calories* is eating at a deficit. *Exercise calories are overestimated...just eat a portion back.

The term is skinny-fat.....not skinny. Think of it like this: diet with zero exercise is a smaller version of the current you. If you have some "puffiness" some jiggle.....zero exercise will help you maintain the puffiness and the jiggle. Adding all cardio will have virtually the same effect....only you get there faster because you burn some additional calories.

Strength training helps you keep existing lean muscle. This helps you get rid of the puffiness & the jiggle because you are losing (mostly) fat.

Skip the strength/cardio ....just do strength days. OR you could cut back on "just" cardio because your strength/cardio is taking care of that.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    as a matter of general fitness, both are pretty important.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Try looking for a metabolic circuit training plan its great for weight loss and includes weights depending on the circuit but alot of muscle fitness I just finished a 8 week plan lost 40lb and gaining alot of muscle growth
    How is losing 40 pounds in eight weeks healthy, assuming one is not morbidly obese? How is it possible without giving birth to multiples?
  • darrenj1987
    Options
    How is losing 40 pounds in eight weeks healthy, assuming one is not morbidly obese? How is it possible without giving birth to multiples?

Being 273lbs currently now 221lbs I was in the gym 3 to 4 times a week invested in a personal trainer to get me working on what I needed to for a few weeks so hard work and a good diet how can losing weight become unhealthy? There is not real limit to how much you can lose in a space of time as long as it's done in the correct way. I have just done 5 weeks of maintaining weight and back this week on a diet and high work rate to lose another 40lb I have a very active job also but I had quite alot to lose to begin with
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options

Being 273lbs currently now 221lbs I was in the gym 3 to 4 times a week invested in a personal trainer to get me working on what I needed to for a few weeks so hard work and a good diet how can losing weight become unhealthy? There is not real limit to how much you can lose in a space of time as long as it's done in the correct way. I have just done 5 weeks of maintaining weight and back this week on a diet and high work rate to lose another 40lb I have a very active job also but I had quite alot to lose to begin with

I think the point that I and others are trying to make is that generic advice is still generic. You need to know more about the person, their goals and what works for them before telling them that your method works for everyone. No one method works for everyone and it depends on many factors. While it may work for you, you did have to hire a trainer. This trainer, provided they are worth their salt, is getting paid to find out what works for you and tailor a program specifically for you to accomplish your personal goals.

As someone who has as much to lose as you do, and starting from the place that you are starting from, your advice might be sound... for you. Not everyone is in the same situation as you, nor are they you. Everyone's metabolic state will be different, their goals different, their dietary habits different, their personal strengths and weaknesses different. Get my drift?

Everyone is happy that what you are doing is working for you currently, but odds are, as you lose more, even your own methods will have to change at some point or another as it gets more difficult to lose weight/body fat as the amount that you have decreases. No one is knocking your progress, just saying that what works for you might not be optimal for others and giving generic advice to someone is never the correct answer.
  • darrenj1987
    Options
    From what I have said you have taken it wrong I can only share my experience and tried to show that it does work. I can't be the only one it does work for and people wouldn't know unless they try. Wasn't being pushy I know all are different and built in different ways. But all I was doing was sharing an experience. It's like the others that say go hard or go slow more reps less reps can't see you jumping on them for there opionion . Also with the Pt if I considered joining a forum or a group chat before I hired a pt I would of saved myself some £££ but hey can't turn back the clock
  • daniwilford
    Options
    darrenj1987, askes how can losing weight become unhealthy? Answer: when it comes from muscles, which it most certainly will with quick weight loss, consisting of greater than 1% of body weight per week. As much as 25% of your loss is coming from lean tissue. A body will only metabolize a finite amount of fat in a finite time period, no matter how perfect your diet and exercise routine. The worst part about it is it can be vital organ muscle that can be depleted, like your heart.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    darrenj1987, askes how can losing weight become unhealthy? Answer: when it comes from muscles, which it most certainly will with quick weight loss, consisting of greater than 1% of body weight per week. As much as 25% of your loss is coming from lean tissue. A body will only metabolize a finite amount of fat in a finite time period, no matter how perfect your diet and exercise routine. The worst part about it is it can be vital organ muscle that can be depleted, like your heart.

While this is true, it's a lot less extreme than you are stating especially for an obese or morbidly obese person. Someone who has a considerable amount of weight to lose can mobilize fat more quickly and effectively than someone who does not. Additionally, any kind of resistance exercise combats lean tissue loss. Lifting, or even body weight will provide enough resistance training to stave off a considerable amount of lean tissue loss, especially combined with enough protein intake. Additionally, barring some major physiological issues, lean tissue loss will not occur in vital tissues unless as a later (closer to last) resort.

You don't need to worry that they will digest their heart at this stage... just saying.

• daniwilford
    Options
    OP is a female with about 60 or so pounds to lose. Unless she is short for her age, this would not constitute being morbidly obese. I was only answering the question" how can losing weight become unhealthy?"