What One Small Change Made the Biggest Difference?

Options
I'm at the start of my journey, but I'm starting with small changes that I hope will compound to make a big difference for my life and health. Getting up and moving every hour is already making a different. It's too early to see it in my weight, but I work at home and find that getting away from the computer and using that time to walk or do a vigorous chore (not snack!) improves my mental attitude. I'm also taking "me time" every night to use my massage chair or meditate. Those two small changes are already having a positive impact.

I'd love to know what small changes others have made that are making a big difference. I'm new here and looking for ideas, and I'm sure there's a wide variety. This whole "getting healthy" thing feels a lot less intimidating for me when I look at it in terms of small, simple changes rather than one huge all-at-once overhaul.

Replies

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    For me it's the most common answer around here: I started tracking calories and eating within my budget.
  • tedioustrainingap
    tedioustrainingap Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I started swimming daily. That has made a big difference to my weight loss but so has switching lattes with sugar, for coffee with coffemate light and halfspoon! The swimming is the thing which has really given me a massive and sustainable positivity surge though. It also makes it more easy to watch what I eat - I'm not prepared to undo the work of that mornings session!
  • samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I decided to sit down properly to eat everything. So many times I'd grab a bar of chocolate or crisps as I was running out to the car as my dessert or a snack, and be consuming those calories without even noticing, and then eat the same again when I got home because I deserved a a treat. It was about being mindful really and enjoying the food I was eating, not 'wasting' them.
  • blissfuldrake
    blissfuldrake Posts: 128 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    GETTING AND GOING TO DIETICIAN MONTHLY. KEEPS ME ACCOUNTABLE OUTSIDE MYSELF.

SETTING MINOR GOALS AND RECORDING SUCCESSES AND FAILURES. I'M SURE TO BE STRICT WITH MYSELF. REWARDS: SIGN IN EVERY DAY FOR SIX MONTHS. GET TO GO ZIPLINE. LOSE ONE POUND EACH WEEK...ABLE TO BUY EBOOK. (THIS IS A BIG ONE...LOL). NO CANDY EVERY DAY...REALLY NEED TO ASSIGN AWARD TO THIS ONE.

• noclady1995
    noclady1995 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    For me it was just drinking more water. It's just helped me feel full longer and kept hunger pangs at bay.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Consistency
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Being honest and accurate with my food logging.
  • kellyship17
    kellyship17 Posts: 112 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Weighing foods, logging on the bad days, being consistent, and slowly building up my endurance for running.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    I'm going to say it was packing my lunch instead of ordering out or going to the drive thru.
  • pattysolis333
    pattysolis333 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    For me it's been drinking LOTS of water and not eating after 7:00 p.m.
  • jnoegrah
    jnoegrah Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Daily small walks, parking far as hell from work and cutting soda made a difference for me.
  • chelsy0587
    chelsy0587 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Like the first answer, tracking everything and seeing what I really eat throughout the day.
    (Part of it for me was realizing what I was feeding my child too!)

Small changes:
    At least 30 minutes of activity per day.
    No soda, juice or sugary drinks
    Telling myself every single day that I am worth the effort it takes, and I will achieve my goals.
  • kthompson601
    kthompson601 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    The first thing I changed was my breakfast. My breakfast used to be, I swear to god this is true, two chocolate poptarts and a whole bunch of peanut butter crackers. Absolutely disgusting, no nutrition, and I'd be starving two hours later.

After trying some different cereals and yogurts (I'm a vegetarian and can't stand eggs), I now make delicious smoothies every morning with my Nutribullet. I get a serving of veg, a serving of fruit, a serving of dairy, a serving of nuts, and add protein powder, and it keeps me full for more than 5 hours until lunch. It's a little high in calories but it keeps me from snacking and gives me a lot more energy in the morning. No wonder! I wasn't consuming any actual FOOD with that other breakfast!
  • AChildAtHeart
    AChildAtHeart Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    These are great! I totally need to add the increased water to my daily routine. I'm very bad about staying hydrated, and I get ophthalmic migraines if I let it go to an extreme.
  • Rhiannonpwj
    Rhiannonpwj Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Buying a good water bottle probably. I suck at drinking water as well but if you always have a water bottle with you you're going to drink more without thinking about it.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,716 Member
    Options
    These are great! I totally need to add the increased water to my daily routine. I'm very bad about staying hydrated, and I get ophthalmic migraines if I let it go to an extreme.

These are great suggestions so far! What struck me about your first two "small" changes were that they are good and nurturing for your mind, your mental state. Taking care of that aspect of yourself first is what leads to subsequent physical changes.

Yes, getting up every hour is good physical activity, but mainly you are taking a break from work, clearing your mind, and breathing a little deeper with movement. Meditation and "me" time is also imperative. Keep it up!
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Making time to really enjoy the calorie dense foods. I choose to not have the pastry if I don't have time to really enjoy it. When I do make the time, the experience is so much better for me that I can't go back to wasting the calories on a lesser experience.
  • Diana_GettingFit
    Diana_GettingFit Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I have two things that made a difference. The obvious one is joining this site and learning to count calories. The other is I took up running. I have now dropped three pant sizes since I started running in March. I am literally running the inches off.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    meal planning, including prep and pre-logging.
  • TiJoGa
    TiJoGa Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Forgiving myself for the imperfect days, accepting they were going happen, and not letting one bad day derail my overall journey.