How do handle needing clothing?

My husband always says the downsize if losing weight is the cost of replacing clothing. Tiday, as I belted up my old stained denim capris so I could oaint/stain furniture and fo a thorough cleaning at eldest son's home whole cat sitting for a few days, I realized that after I finish I will Just throw this clothes away, but I havd dropped 3-4 sizes snd so this can get costly. I often shop at thrift stores, consignment, or bargain shops to help. I also sew so I have altered other pieces where I can. Anyone else have creative options?

Replies

• madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Nope, that about covers the options out there.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Clothes in small sizes are cheap and available, and even fun to shop, don't see the problem.
  • jesssargent2
    jesssargent2 Posts: 28 Member
    Sometimes you can find free clothes on craigslist.
  • putzfam4
    putzfam4 Posts: 17 Member
    Clothes in small sizes are cheap and available, and even fun to shop, don't see the problem.

LOL "smaller" doesn't mean small. I'm also 5'10", so I often need tall clothing.
    Thanks though...m
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    In addition to the thrift shops, yard sales are an option. Definitely check Craig's List or your local "for sale" Facebook pages for people advertising what they'll be selling.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Nope, that about covers the options out there.

yup
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Have giant hips like me, I can wear the same size within a 30 pound range even though I'm only 5'3".
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Consignment, thrift stores until you reach goal. Then spend the money for nice new stuff if you want.

• emmietoby
    emmietoby Posts: 172 Member
    there is also a web site called " freecycle" it's in many states . when I had a ton of things to give away I posted it there and people answer your add also you can post for clothing and anything else that you may want / need I found a p/c for a friend of mine for free. and found a microwave for myself --still in a box... give that a try...
  • defatify
    defatify Posts: 41 Member
    Target clearance rack!
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Yes, thrift stores will become your friend. To help pay for these clothes, I have sold many of my higher quality items online, it doesn't get me enough to cover everything new, but it definitely has helped! Also, shop smart. try and get versatile items, something that will go with many outfits and have flexible sizing. For example, a cardigan can be work with a lot of items, and soft stretchy maxi skirts can be worn through a few sizes as well.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited June 2015
    Wear dresses, not pants. You can just belt them as you go down. Not the super fitted kind of dresses, more like t-shirt dresses or shirt dresses
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    You've covered it pretty well. I love consignment store shopping and now that I've reached my target weight, I still shop consignment. I head for the discount rack first. Also places like H&M, Target, Old Navy etc have reasonably priced basics which is all you really need during those "transition" times. Get yourself a standard pair of black pants or skirt and various inexpensive tops that you can rotate. Jewelry is the ultimate good purchase because it jazzes up an outfit and size doesn't matter. A cute black skirt with a coloured plain top and statement necklace/ earrings looks classy and put together and you can wear the jewelry regardless of what size you are. Also cute shoes really make an outfit (but don't spend much on shoes because your feet may change size too).
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,474 Member
    I like nakedness.
  • Rhiannonpwj
    Rhiannonpwj Posts: 17 Member
    90% of my clothes are from eBay. You can get really nice clothes for a tenth of the original price. If you find some reliable brands and buy mainly those clothes you won't have to worry about something not fitting. Also, as you said, thrift stores and charity shops are a gem.
  • janiep81
    janiep81 Posts: 248 Member
    Have you ever read about a "capsule wardrobe?" Its a trendy thing right now (at least among my circle of friends), and the idea is that you have fewer pieces that you buy to coordinate together and wear. That may help a bit? I'm planning to sell some items online to pay for new clothes when the time comes, and to buy slowly, and off season.

What size do you need?
  • discretekim
    discretekim Posts: 314 Member
    I always like an excuse to shop. I prefer it being for my size going down. But it's usually for it going up. I don't expect to lose much more than a size. But since I just bought some new clothes I'm going to have to go shopping again once I've lost and my weight has stabilized.
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    I sell the clothes that dont fit me anymore on local facebook pages and get clothes that i need from the same source as well as goodwill and value village
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    w4hg6qhtrghf.jpg

Na Nu Na Nu ..

Shazbat !!!