What do you wish your PE classes had been like?

Options
2»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    jvs125 wrote: »
    My PE was worthless. Just team sports, limited instruction, no learning. I wish there was a nutrition component to it. People need to learn about that, as it is so basic to our health. I wish there was also an intro to proper strength workouts, how to use weights, proper form to avoid injuries. I wish there was an element on how to deal with injuries and medical conditions (i.e. asthma), how to adapt your workout consequently. I wish there were also other disciplines that would allow an individual to compete with himself and improve their best performance instead of comparing with everyone else all the time.

I went to a public high school in New Mexico...PE in high school was at the discretion of the student...you could take a basic phys ed course or an introduction to weight training or tennis or basketball...and I can't really remember the rest. I wouldn't exactly call Albuquerque Public Schools stellar so I'm assuming most public high schools around the country would have offered similar. These were elective courses though after your freshman year...and frankly, most people who weren't already involved in athletics of some kind elected not to take those courses. I don't think very many people just randomly thought, "hey...that lifting course might be a beneficial thing."...it was offered, but pretty much everyone in that class was involved in some other kind of athletic endeavor.

Also, my high school had health and nutrition course that was required freshman year and more elective semesters if you chose.

I think in many cases, things people say they wish were available actually were available...and a lot of people just elected to do something else instead.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I went to public school in rural southern IL. We had some great PE coaches who really enjoyed what they did and participated with us. While you were graded on result, effort was always introduced to reward those who really pushed themselves. They led by example first and foremost and treated everyone as adults, to the kids reacted in kind.

It was very fitness oriented, but brought in elements of good instruction and team building. They would ensure that the weaker kids were in a position where they could have small successes and gain some confidence. They would hand over lessons to kids on team sports to teach others and build up skills and introduce teaching and leadership opportunities.

Our coaches tried to push people out of their comfort zones and get them into new activities. I distinctly remember our track coach changing up everyone in the middle of a meet to teach a valuable lesson in humility. After a very embarrassing end to that meet we followed through with the highest record year to date.