Pain in knees

Options
2»

Replies

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,838 Member
    Options
    Getting back to the comment about form when exercising, when I added squats to my leg routine I developed some terribly painful knees, right behind the knee cap (top of knee cap, sorry KrunchyMama). On a whim, I tried squatting without shoes, and the pain disappeared like magic. As in, painful one set, remove shoes for next set, pain is gone. Poof. These days I keep my shoes on, but by shifting foot position to a wider stance the pain has remained away.
  • d08t
    d08t Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Never do leg extensions. Ice daily. Use a foam roller and stretch after your workout.
  • Rayfaetroon60
    Rayfaetroon60 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have that and was diagnose with early onset arthritis!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    d08t wrote: »
    Never do leg extensions. Ice daily. Use a foam roller and stretch after your workout.
    Actually leg extensions are used exclusively in many knee rehab programs. Most knee issues happen for a couple of main reasons: incorrect form, incorrect footwear, overuse.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• stephxo1
    stephxo1 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Also try adding some sort of joint supplement to your diary. I take Omega 3-6-9 as well as Glucosamine, still get the odd niggle in my knees after a heavy squat session but only lasts for a day then disappears. Protect those joints! :)
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    d08t wrote: »
    Actually leg extensions are used exclusively in many knee rehab programs. Most knee issues happen for a couple of main reasons: incorrect form, incorrect footwear, overuse.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Everything I've read is anti leg-extension, eg

http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/avoid_lifting_injuries/The_Seated_Leg_Extension.php
    http://www.t-nation.com/article/performance_training/the_truth_about_leg_extensions&cr=

It's also just a weird, seemingly unnatural movement to load, don't you think? Like when do we do that?
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Sounds like patellar tendinitis and the most common reason is excessive use. So if you're exercising more than an hour a day, try cutting back a bit first to see if that helps.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Yeah it does sound like patellar tendinopathy. I had pain there a bit ago, came away with that diagnosis.
  • Francine_rivas
    Francine_rivas Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Any tips or ideas how I can alleviate pain in my knees? It hurts at times when I go up the stairs, that sort of thing and does not happen all the time. I jog/strength train 4X a week. Am I doing too much or?

Do you stretch after working out? If not start doing that! Also when do you strength train are you doing legs on the same day as running. Do legs only once a week and don't do it the same day as running. And don't forget to rest. Run every other day. Foam rolling helps prevent knee pain. For now so you don't mess your knees up more I would stop for a week on running and just do yoga and focus just on arms and abs. Maybe you were overdoing it and just need a good break. Ice your knee too. If it hurts for 3 weeks or more I'd see a physical therapist.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Ice them to reduce joint swelling.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    A lot of knee pain comes from either form or footwear. Make sure your form while lifting is good, and your shoes are in good condition for all that running.

Okay thanks a bunch. I will pay more attention to my form! And also on the foot wear, how long should I keep a pair before I purchase a new pair? I've been having mines for about year and a half; I mean they still look good to me :#

Rule of thumb is 600 miles for shoes. I generally buy a new pair once a year, which is about 1000 miles or so. ymmv.
  • jendiaz9732
    jendiaz9732 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Any tips or ideas how I can alleviate pain in my knees? It hurts at times when I go up the stairs, that sort of thing and does not happen all the time. I jog/strength train 4X a week. Am I doing too much or?

Do you stretch after working out? If not start doing that! Also when do you strength train are you doing legs on the same day as running. Do legs only once a week and don't do it the same day as running. And don't forget to rest. Run every other day. Foam rolling helps prevent knee pain. For now so you don't mess your knees up more I would stop for a week on running and just do yoga and focus just on arms and abs. Maybe you were overdoing it and just need a good break. Ice your knee too. If it hurts for 3 weeks or more I'd see a physical therapist.

I don't stretch after workout but I am definitely going to start. As well as cut back on lower body, and try the foam rolling, have never done that. I was squatting at grocery store last night and felt the pain pretty intense :(:/ Thank you