Should I get a Fitbit?

Options
Wii_Player
Wii_Player Posts: 1,401 Member
Hi everyone,

I am wondering if I should invest in a fitbit.

Also, if I do get one, will I have to log my food here and on the fitbit? I really like how easy this site is for logging food.

All comments are welcomed.

Thanks
Diane

Replies

• MomTo3Lovez
    MomTo3Lovez Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    It's really up to you on whether you really want it or not. I have one and personally I love it, gets me moving more. And no you would only add the food here and it will transfer over to the fitbit site for you, just make sure if you get it to sync them together so that it transfers over. You also don't input your exercise on here to get the calories, you can add your own using 1 cal for whatever you do for however long you do it and that will transfer over as well.
  • katelyn8095
    katelyn8095 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi there!
    I have a fitbit charge and I absolutely love it. It tracks my movements in a more reliable way (because it's always attached to me). One down fall is they aren't water proof. So shower steps and swimming aren't tracked. I do like how motivating everything looks on the Fitbit app. If you reach your steps goal then the number of steps turn green. There's nothing more rewarding than watching the different sections (steps, sleeping, flights of stairs, etc) turn from yellow to green.
    As for the partnership between Fitbit and myfitnesspal (mfp). I continue to track my food on mfp. I tell mfp when I'm going to exercise and the Fitbit calculates how many calories I'm actually expending. I find that this is more accurate.
    But I will say that I had my Fitbit for months before I decided to redownload the mfp app.
    How this helps!
    KB
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I really like my FitBit One. I set it up on FitBit's site and then synced here on MFP (enabled negative adjustments). I like the negative adjustments. If I am less than sedentary (ugh)...I get calories taken away.

Anyway, I can see (on FitBit's site) may food logs from here. You don't have to double log.

Whether or not to invest.....good question. My cardio is step based, and nothing is terribly accurate for strength training, so the FitBit One works for me. If you are a cyclist for example, this won't be as helpful. I like that I can see stair climbed, it logs my sleep....not a big plus for me. You can join challenges too. If a FitBit will make you more active, great!

Here's a link to the group....lurk around in there and see what you can find
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • ccourcha
    ccourcha Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I am getting one for my next mini goal, the Charge HR. Am I understanding correct that continue to log food on MFP and sync Fitbit to MFP also?
  • whirlygig60
    whirlygig60 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I received one for free from my insurance company as an incentive to lose weight. I wore it one day and didn't like it. I don't need an ugly plastic bracelet to tell me to eat less and move more. That's great if it helps with some peoples' motivation, but it didn't work for me.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    If it helps you focus on you..... Then by all means get it!

I see tech toys as things to keep me in the game, monitoring and paying attention to my diet and exercise.

I got a HRM over a year ago and used it all the time. It helped me pay attention to my exercise. That alone made it worth it.
  • Wii_Player
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone!

Teabea - Thanks for the link!
  • MomTo3Lovez
    MomTo3Lovez Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    ccourcha wrote: »
    I am getting one for my next mini goal, the Charge HR. Am I understanding correct that continue to log food on MFP and sync Fitbit to MFP also?

Yes, you log all your food here and sync MFP to fitbit and the food you log here will transfer over.

• pixiechick8321
    pixiechick8321 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I got the fitbit one a week ago and have found it making me move a little bit more (my goal is 12 stairs - last night I dragged myself away from the book, turned off the alarm, and did the last 4 - wouldn't have done that before!). I like the one better because it is clip on and not a bracelet (I don't like that at all). They do have accessories of the bracelet type though so it works either way. It also does stairs and shows you your counts (not just blinking lights). I got mine off craigslist for less than $50...
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    I just bought my fitbit this week and Im already down 6 lbs I love it. It really makes you aware of your daily calorie burn and the amount of walking you do or dont do each day
  • Wii_Player
    Options
    Thanks everyone!