Need advice! P90x vs P90x2

Options
Hypsibius
Hypsibius Posts: 207 Member
edited June 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Hello! So I started P90x five weeks ago (my second run of the program -- did it last year) in preparation for an obstacle course race in October. At the rate we're going (I'm managing workout schedule for the team) we will finish the p90x program with 7 weeks left to do final training (hills, cardio, stairs, outdoors, swimming etc).

However, I'm wondering what the best daily program would be in addition to all that additional cardio work. Since I've never done P90x2, I'm thinking of doing an accelerated P90x2 program for the 7 weeks post-p90x leading directly into the race:
  • 2 weeks phase one
  • 2 weeks phase two
  • Recovery week
  • 2 weeks phase three
  • Recover / stretch / rest week into race

If it's not advisable to do this program accelerated (even after 90 days of original p90x immediately prior) -- another option would be to cut into the 3rd week of p90x, and do the full p90x2 program into race day. I've also considered p90x3 as an option, since this will be paired with some evening cardio and weekend training.

Thoughts? Kind of torn, but always looking for a new challenge and the best workouts to excel at my first TM.

Thank you!!!

Replies

• sheltol
    sheltol Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    X2 incorporates a lot of core work / core stability throughout the program. For example, chest presses on a stability ball or medicine ball push-ups and on and on. People love X2 or they hate it but it's very effective if you stick with it.

If you have a split resistance and cardio workout routine Have you thought about body beast?
  • Hypsibius
    Hypsibius Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    sheltol wrote: »
    X2 incorporates a lot of core work / core stability throughout the program. For example, chest presses on a stability ball or medicine ball push-ups and on and on. People love X2 or they hate it but it's very effective if you stick with it.

If you have a split resistance and cardio workout routine Have you thought about body beast?

Sounds like fun. I've read about Body Beast before.

I am reading, however, that p90x2 is challenging and takes some time / practice / muscle memory to get the moves down. With that read, I'm thinking I'll just do the first two phases of p90x2 when I finish the full p90x.

3 months of p90x and 2 months of p90x2 + hills and outdoor training should be enough to get ready for TM... hopefully!