Active or lightly active

Options
kingston84
kingston84 Posts: 6 Member
edited June 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I have a fitbit to measure my steps and always make sure I walk 10000 steps a day. Normally 6000 at work then a dog walk. I do a couple of dog walks on days off to make up my steps to 10000 I don't generally do any other exercise. Should I be classed as active or lightly active?

Replies

• weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    As long as you have negative adjustments enabled, it really doesn't matter. You would probably fall at active with the MFP/Fitbit adjustments.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    weird_me2 wrote: »
    As long as you have negative adjustments enabled, it really doesn't matter.

^This. If (and only if) you enable negative calorie adjustments in your diary settings, it's entirely a matter of personal preference. Increasing your activity level gives you more calories to start with, but smaller adjustments.

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • kingston84
    kingston84 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I already have negative adjustments enabled. So I'm going with active and I don't generally eat my adjustments.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    kingston84 wrote: »
    Thanks. I already have negative adjustments enabled. So I'm going with active and I don't generally eat my adjustments.

Your MFP calorie goal has your deficit already built in. With negative calorie adjustments enabled, eating back your adjustments means you're eating TDEE minus deficit.

We should all be looking for the maximum number of calories at which we lose weight—never the minimum. I eat back 100% of my adjustments, lost the weight, and have maintained for a year.