Summer time blues

Options
Recently it has taken just about all my will power to keep going to the gym and doing my weight regime. I do not know if it has been the hell hot weather or what, but making it to the gym has been such a drag. If it wasn't for the fact that I get a bit compulsive about this, I am afraid i would slack off. My weight loss has been doing fine, as has my cardio. Just don't know why starting to loose interest in weight training. I still love my kick *kitten* playlist. Any suggestions to keep me motivated will help.

Thanks.

Replies

• koutwater
    koutwater Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hi Andy! I have a Facebook fitness page (KO Fit) you can follow that has lots of fitness tips and motivation. Keep your goals in mind and that will strong to be the best you that you can be!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    What program are you doing? Have you been doing it long enough to make a switch?

Not going to lie. I waited as long as I could to start taking a pre-workout. But once I was falling asleep on the train ride home from work before I went to the gym, I finally caved. Much easier to get in now.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Definitely agree with @arditarose about it possibly being time for a change in program and/or introducing a preworkout
  • andympanda
    andympanda Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    been doing a 5 X5 routine. trying to get all muscle groups in. Can you guys recommend a good preworkout that won't mess with my weight loss plans? Problems is don't have any one local to work out with.
  • arditarose
    Options
    andympanda wrote: »
    been doing a 5 X5 routine. trying to get all muscle groups in. Can you guys recommend a good preworkout that won't mess with my weight loss plans? Problems is don't have any one local to work out with.

How long have you been on 5x5?

A preworkout isn't going to mess with your weight loss. It's best to read reviews. I have only used the Muscletech and C4 and prefer the Muscletech. I don't like to go as far as recommending one over the other. Or even recommending a pre-workout. It's a personal choice.
  • andympanda
    Options
    over 6 months, with increasing how much I lift.
  • arditarose
    Options
    over 6 months, with increasing how much I lift.

Decent amount of time. Have any other programs interested you?
  • MB_Positif
    edited June 2015
    Options

Preworkout is usually only 5-30 calories per scoop and you mix it with water. I alternate between C4, Siege, and Methyl Pump.

I've been lifting alone in my basement for over 2 years now. If you want it, you have to do whatever it takes to get it. You don't need a workout partner, you need you to get it done! 6 months of 5x5 is long. I'd suggest switching something like PHUL which is a mix of strength training (the P is for Power) and muscle building (the H is for hypertrophy). U and L are for upper and lower.

This link below is the one that I first used to come up with my PHUL program. I had to modify a few things due to lack of equipment at home.

https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/phul-workout
  • arditarose
    Options
    MB_Positif wrote: »

Preworkout is usually only 5-30 calories per scoop and you mix it with water.

I've been lifting alone in my basement for over 2 years now. If you want it, you have to do whatever it takes to get it. You don't need a workout partner, you need you to get it done! 6 months of 5x5 is long. I'd suggest switching something like PHUL which is a mix of strength training (the P is for Power) and muscle building (the H is for hypertrophy). U and L are for upper and lower.

This link below is the one that I first used to come up with my PHUL program. I had to modify a few things due to lack of equipment at home.

I second PHUL. I'm doing it now and there's so much variety. Plus I ended up really liking only powerlifting two days out of the week instead of four.

Do you recommend this program if he is still in a deficit though?
  • andympanda
    Options
    @MB_Positif
    I have been getting it done, I have gone on vacation and found gyms to go to. Thanks for the link I will check it out. I just didn't know where else to look for resources.
  • andympanda
    Options

Preworkout is usually only 5-30 calories per scoop and you mix it with water. I alternate between C4, Siege, and Methyl Pump.

Checked out the link, looks like what I need, thanks.

• MB_Positif
    Options
    @MB_Positif
    I have been getting it done, I have gone on vacation and found gyms to go to. Thanks for the link I will check it out. I just didn't know where else to look for resources.

Awesome! So hold onto that momentum and try something new! I'm glad the link helped you out. I love PHUL! I'm actually not doing it right now though!

• MB_Positif
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

I second PHUL. I'm doing it now and there's so much variety. Plus I ended up really liking only powerlifting two days out of the week instead of four.

I did PHUL when I was on a cut last summer. I felt great, made strength gains and shed some fat.

• arditarose
    Options

I did PHUL when I was on a cut last summer. I felt great, made strength gains and shed some fat.

Cool. Just curious. I didn't think there were many benefits to that amount of hypertrophy work in a deficit. Maybe that's just what I told myself because I thought I didn't like it.
  • MB_Positif
    Options

Cool. Just curious. I didn't think there were many benefits to that amount of hypertrophy work in a deficit. Maybe that's just what I told myself because I thought I didn't like it.

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't say I built muscle while doing PHUL on a cut, but I enjoyed the variety of it and felt it wasn't as taxing as 5x5

• arditarose
    Options

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't say I built muscle while doing PHUL on a cut, but I enjoyed the variety of it and felt it wasn't as taxing as 5x5

Gotcha. I chose it for a recomp and have been loving it. Surprised at much I ended up enjoying the hypertrophy days. And squatting and dead lifting on the same day-rar.
  • MB_Positif
    Options

Gotcha. I chose it for a recomp and have been loving it. Surprised at much I ended up enjoying the hypertrophy days. And squatting and dead lifting on the same day-rar.

I was so skeptical about the hypertrophy days. I was like "waaahhhh, high reps" but I ended up liking it!
  • arditarose
    Options

I was so skeptical about the hypertrophy days. I was like "waaahhhh, high reps" but I ended up liking it!

Same here!

OP, let us know what you think! There are some videos on youtube of people sampling the workout too. The guys are a little annoying but it's nice to see how the workout lays out.
  • andympanda
    Options
    Link above had videos. That is what i needed. Fri, Sat are my days off from lifting, start a new on Sunday.
  • MB_Positif
    Options
    Link above had videos. That is what i needed. Fri, Sat are my days off from lifting, start a new on Sunday.

Great! Keep us posted on how you like it!