Calorie intake on this app

2»

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    hippytee wrote: »
    So I'm doing it right,, not eating back the calories I've used exercising,,, My calorie intake is 1400 a day without exercise,

If you mean "right" as in NOT using the app as designed.......?? Um, then no....that's wrong
    Sorry I beg to differ, why are they not true? I've done it myself so I know that all the above work, look it up on the net :)

Again, sorry...no. Not everything you read on the internet is true. Breakfast does not "kickstart" your metabolism. There aren't good and "bad" carb.
  • toolzz
    toolzz Posts: 163 Member
    Eating breakfast is the most important meal of the day, kickstarts yr metabolism, so does drinking water, eating too much of refined sugar found in cakes, sweets, chocolate, eating trans fats, hydronated fats found in processed foods, junk food,
    Eating these are good for you not show me a healthy, healthy weight person that eats these all the time

I do 16/8 and don't eat till noon each day, I eat all the foods and have maintained my weight loss for 8+ years. I am 5'6" and 138 lbs....I consider myself healthy and, as important, happy
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    edited June 2015
    Eating breakfast is the most important meal of the day, kickstarts yr metabolism, so does drinking water, eating too much of refined sugar found in cakes, sweets, chocolate, eating trans fats, hydronated fats found in processed foods, junk food,
    Eating these are good for you not show me a healthy, healthy weight person that eats these all the time

Utter twaddle! Please stop.
    My 1976 Yamaha motorbike has a kickstart - humans do not.
  • Wii_Player
    Wii_Player Posts: 2,454 Member
    Now I am confused. I remember when I was creating my profile, I was also asked how many times a week I was going to exercise. I would think that they calculated my calorie intake based on all my answers, which included my expected exercise. No?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Wii_Player wrote: »
    Now I am confused. I remember when I was creating my profile, I was also asked how many times a week I was going to exercise. I would think that they calculated my calorie intake based on all my answers, which included my expected exercise. No?

your exercise goals are just for you...they have no bearing on your calorie targets...play with it and you'll see.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member

No - it's just a goal, doesn't change your calorie allowance at all.
    That's why you are supposed to log your exercise (after the event) and you get credited with those calories to maintain your chosen deficit.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member

It's not. You can test it by going into your settings and changing how much you plan to exercise. No matter how much or how little you put in, it won't change your calorie level. Basically, the system doesn't trust you to do that exercise until you actually log it.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,979 Member

It asks that so it can set up your exercise goals per week. This gives a comparison of what you log to what your goal is. It is not part of your calorie calculation. Thus you add in exercise calories after the fact and ideally consume then to hit your target.
  • Wii_Player
    Wii_Player Posts: 2,454 Member
    Thanks everyone! I was not aware of that. Sorry, did not mean to take over this conversation :)
  • hippytee
    hippytee Posts: 249 Member
    T
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    had this app a while now still don't fully understand how the calories are worked out
    If I'm having 1500 cals and I'm burning let's say 500 a day ,,, do I have to eat an extra 500 ?
    Wanting to loose not gain weight

I know that for every 3500 calories you burn = 1lb of weight loss.

your 1500 target already includes your weight loss deficit...it's built into your diet...you would lose weight just eating your target calories and not exercising. If you selected 1 Lb per week, MFP is estimating your maintenance to be 2000 calories...ergo 1500 calories would give you a 500 calorie deficit.

If you set your activity level properly, your activity level would NOT include exercise...just your daily hum drum...thus exercise is unaccounted for activity...thus when you do exercise you can eat more because your calorie requisites would increase. It is important to understand how to fuel your fitness...when you can start wrapping your head around fitness for the sake of being fit and healthy and not just burning calories, this will be much clearer to you. Failure to properly fuel your fitness can ultimately lead to recovery issues, fatigue, and injury.

thanks for that you explained it very well,,, i just didn't get how it worked on here fully,, I do strength training with weights 3x per week at least one of those is in a les mills body pump class

I understand that when you weight train it's important to fuel your body right.. Getting the right amount of protein from white meat, fish eggs. Nuts and seeds and certain veggies good carbs and good fats from oily fish, extra virgin olive oil ,, always have a Shake post workout,, eat
    toolzz wrote: »

I do 16/8 and don't eat till noon each day, I eat all the foods and have maintained my weight loss for 8+ years. I am 5'6" and 138 lbs....I consider myself healthy and, as important, happy

• hippytee
    You must be one of those lucky People that have a fast metabolism
  • hippytee

• hippytee
    Ohhhh dear lol I'm sure us newbies to using this app 'l get used to it
  • hippytee
    Thanks everyone! I was not aware of that. Sorry, did not mean to take over this conversation :)

No you're ok,, that's what the communities all about ,,, great to get lots of info ,, I've learnt a lot from posting this topic,,
    Thanks everyone,, on some comments I agree to disagree though lol

• triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    DO NOT EAT THEM ALL!! The calorie tracker for exercise is really really really bad about overestimating your burn (both normal resting burn and exercise burn). At most eat 50% of the calories it tells you you earned through exercise and if you are not losing after a month or so then cut that to 25% or reduce the activity level under your profile.
  • hippytee
    TeaBea wrote: »
    So I'm doing it right,, not eating back the calories I've used exercising,,, My calorie intake is 1400 a day without exercise,

If you mean "right" as in NOT using the app as designed.......?? Um, then no....that's wrong
    Sorry I beg to differ, why are they not true? I've done it myself so I know that all the above work, look it up on the net :)

Again, sorry...no. Not everything you read on the internet is true. Breakfast does not "kickstart" your metabolism. There aren't good and "bad" carb.

Yes I know that lol,,, so why does mags like women's health and other such health mags say it does ? And carbs such as pastries , sweets, are good for you ?
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    TeaBea wrote: »

Yes I know that lol,,, so why does mags like women's health and other such health mags say it does ? And carbs such as pastries , sweets, are good for you ?

Mags like that promote whatever Fad diet is going on at the time. Your metabolism doesn't need a "kickstart" it's always running. If it wasn't you'd be dead.

They may not have a lot of nutritional value, but they can fit just fine into a balanced diet. In moderation there is no harm in consuming them. If you have met your micro nutrient needs and protein goal, those foods can usually help fill in the carb and fat macros that you need. You don't get bonus points for eating more foods with a lot of micro-nutrients; after your needs are met you pee out the extra.
  • hippytee
    Some of us unlucky people have slow metabolisms ,,, I've found personally eating breakfast plus cutting out crisps ,chips, chocolate, cakes ect and of course doing plenty of exercise has helped me shed 8 lbs in the last 4 weeks,,, ;)

I stopped going to the gym 6 months ago,,,, started eating the above,, didn't have breakfast skipped meals , thus put on 2 stone ,, before that I was a healthy 9 and a half stone,,,,

Unfortunately I'm one of those people that eats crap even in moderation puts on weight quick,,, everyone's different,,,
    I have a friend that eats chocolate all the time ect and never puts an ounce on

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited June 2015
    I don't have a "fast" metabolism. If it was fast I wouldn't have gotten to 260 lbs. I've lost weight by making sure I keep in a calorie deficit. This means I weigh my food to insure I know how much I'm eating.

If you gained weight when eating in moderation, then you were eating over your maintenance calories. All a "slow" metabolism means is that you have to eat less to maintain your weight than the average person with stats similar to you. If during that time you weren't tracking how much you were eating than it's no surprise you gained weight. Part of moderation is not eating more than you need.