Running speeds: non racers

Options
2»

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    You're not particularly slow at that pace. You're not fast either mind you. I'm a little bit slower than you and usually end up in the middle at races. So I think your times are pretty average to slightly better than average.

I'm going to start training for another half marathon next month. My target time is around 2:21. My training program is having me do long runs between 12:30 and 13! Slow running really increases your endurance. If you're going for speed, cut down on distance.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    I'm sure all the smarter folks will chime in here, but I like this article:

http://running.competitor.com/2014/06/training/seven-ways-to-improve-speed-without-increasing-mileage_29436
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Just chiming in to +1 the 'run slower and longer' advice.

I've seen good speed increases on shorter distances while training for a half marathon. Before it started really heating up here I was comfortably running 9:30min/mi for 5-6 miles, down from 10min when I started. My best (and this was without trying, I just felt really good that day) was 8:50 min/mi for 5 miles.

Now, my 10min/mi pace is what I usually run for 10-14 miles and even that's started to creep down. When I do a PR for distance, I slow down to 11-12 min/mi.

But again, all above paces are for cool and pleasant running temps. Now that it's 95+F and 80+% humidity here, I run really slowly and I have no interest in speeding up. That will wait for fall.
  • jetskisimpson
    jetskisimpson Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Again thanks to all the advice. I've started this running journey with an ex marine so I didn't get a lot of the inside facts lol! But she helped me to not give up and was someone to talk to while running. So my thanks to her is huge as well! I can't wait to try these tips! I'll keep it posted for sure.
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft4.5in tall. I've worked really hard to get to my current 12min mile average. My fastest has been a 10.49min miles but my goal is to one day average a 10min mile. I'm currently training for a 10k in August and then doing a 10mile run in sept. I'm no so much focused on my speed but just more finishing the race and not being dead last! Lol
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    I am about 5.6 and a bit and run really slowly. I usually do 5K in about 42-43 minutes. If I ever get to do a race I'm in trouble as they seem to have timing restrictions of 40 minutes. I also do tiny steps. For some reason I can run longer and don't get side stitches if I stick to small steps.
    I'm 5'5" and this is about my pace, too. I say that I'm slower than a turtle. LOL