Multivitamins and supplements

2»

Replies

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,994 Member
    edited June 2015
    J72FIT wrote: »
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    And any multi will do. Go to Wal-Mart, and buy their brand. They are all the same.

Not true at all.

The sources and amounts of the vitamins and minerals actually matters.

I just tend to go for the ones targeted at women

To be clear, multivitamins are not gender specific unless you're talking about prenatals. The ones marketed for men tend to be iron-free, that's about it.

True as all.

Once again, I'll take Alan Aragon, & Layne Nortons studies, with proof, over your nonsense you continue to spew daily.
    Let me ask you a question. Do you know the difference between magnesium oxide vs a chelated magnesium?

Sure don't. That's why I said, I'll take two doctors advice, over a MFP randoms.
    Ever hear the term, "trust but verify?"
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    edited June 2015
    And any multi will do. Go to Wal-Mart, and buy their brand. They are all the same.

Not true at all.

To be clear, multivitamins are not gender specific unless you're talking about prenatals. The ones marketed for men tend to be iron-free, that's about it.

True as all.

Once again, I'll take Alan Aragon, & Layne Nortons studies, with proof, over your nonsense you continue to spew daily.
    Let me ask you a question. Do you know the difference between magnesium oxide vs a chelated magnesium?

Sure don't. That's why I said, I'll take two doctors advice, over a MFP randoms.

It's not exactly rocket science to have a basic understanding of poor or synthetic vitamin/mineral forms.

What does that have to do with taking two doctors advice, who are world renowned in the fitness industry, over yours?

I don't need to know the difference, nor do I care. I have a job, lift, plus raise a daughter, nitpicking *kitten* is for the birds. Minuscule differences in vitamins mean jack *kitten* to me.

I highly doubt X brand over Y brand will effect my 600 DL and 400+ squat.
  • martyqueen52

Not true at all.

True as all.

Studies with proof and statistical info are verified. Like I said, even if it were incorrect, which it isn't, I really don't give a *kitten*.

• sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited June 2015

Not true at all.

True as all.

It's not exactly rocket science to have a basic understanding of poor or synthetic vitamin/mineral forms.

What does that have to do with taking two doctors advice, who are world renowned in the fitness industry, over yours?

I fail to see how my advice contradicted Aragon's or Norton's?

And be careful throwing around the word "doctor" when it comes to fitness and nutrition. Family doctors, on average, know very little about advanced nutrition and supplements.... or fitness for that matter. They are not trained to adequately answer questions about these topics either. Even, the RD course is actually pretty narrow. Aragon and Norton did not excel at what they do because they are "doctors"... they actually live and breathe fitness and nutrition. Your average family doctor doesn't.

Besides, there are a lot of doctors, dieticians, nutritionists, etc. who have little to no clue what they are talking about in certain nutrition-related contexts. They are human beings, just like everyone else. And some are the scum of the Earth who try to siphon money from gullible people by selling worthless products.
    I don't need to know the difference, nor do I care. I have a job, lift, plus raise a daughter, nitpicking *kitten* is for the birds. Minuscule differences in vitamins mean jack *kitten* to me.

I highly doubt X brand over Y brand will effect my 600 DL and 400+ squat

Nice attitude.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,994 Member

Not true at all.

True as all.

Studies with proof and statistical info are verified. Like I said, even if it were incorrect, which it isn't, I really don't give a *kitten*.

Rock on...

• melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    edited June 2015
    I take a women's multivitamin with iron and calcium ("one a day" brand right now) and a flaxseed oil supplement for Omega 3's. (I dont eat fish)

(one a day women's is rated a B plus on the ratings website someone linked)
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    There isn't much evidence that taking even a multi-vitamin does anything for you unless you are severely malnourished.

http://www.berkeleywellness.com/supplements/vitamins/article/should-you-still-take-multi
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    My calcium and iron are consistently not on target unless I take a vitamin, and my b12 is a concern since I am a vegetarian. So I supplement. Its not a big deal.
  • d08t
    d08t Posts: 43 Member
    If you're simply supplementing your poor diet, how concerned with your health can you actually be? Eat better and supplement that with a good quality multivitamin. Have an annual physical with your doctor at which time they'll typically draw blood and test for any abnormalities or deficiencies.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    I do not take anything. blood work showed all was good so dr said don't bother. Multivitamins are just a way to make expensive pee

eating healthy will help you get the nutrition you need. develop these habits now so you don't have to do it later in life.
    but otherwise, I would take the gummies. I can't take the pills/tablets/etc as they irritate my stomach lining
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Do you like brightly colored urine?

Here's a test, after taking your multivitamin time how quickly your urine changes. If it's significantly darker in less than 12 hours, your body doesn't need it and you just confirmed your renal system works.

Fish oil (omega 3 fatty acid) is about the only deficiency anyone living in a Western nation has unless you have some medical deficiency.
  • martyqueen52

Not true at all.

True as all.

And be careful throwing around the word "doctor" when it comes to fitness and nutrition. Family doctors, on average, know very little about advanced nutrition and supplements.... or fitness for that matter. They are not trained to adequately answer questions about these topics either. Even, the RD course is actually pretty narrow. Aragon and Norton did not excel at what they do because they are "doctors"... they actually live and breathe fitness and nutrition. Your average family doctor doesn't.

Besides, there are a lot of doctors, dieticians, nutritionists, etc. who have little to no clue what they are talking about in certain nutrition-related contexts. They are human beings, just like everyone else. And some are the scum of the Earth who try to siphon money from gullible people by selling worthless products.

Nice attitude.

If you don't see the latter, then I'm not going go through and quote their studies, as compared to what you've "typed" on here.

Who brought up family doctors, at all? There you go again, bringing irrelevancy into a topic.

I know why Norton and Aragon are who they are, and for what reasons.

I'm glad you like my attitude. I promise you, it won't change :)
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member

I highly doubt X brand over Y brand will effect my 600 DL and 400+ squat.

Lifting heavy doesn't mean you're intelligent and if you don't know much about vitamins you shouldn't be posting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0u8UdZeOhc

This video gives some idea as to why you should take a multivitamin and was posted by Layne Norton.
    https://www.facebook.com/LayneNorton/posts/10103373756925890
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member

Not true at all.

True as all.

Nice attitude.

If you don't see the latter, then I'm not going go through and quote their studies, as compared to what you've "typed" on here.

Who brought up family doctors, at all? There you go again, bringing irrelevancy into a topic.

I know why Norton and Aragon are who they are, and for what reasons.

I'm glad you like my attitude. I promise you, it won't change :)

You are really aggressive despite making zero sense. Seems like you just like stirring the pot and hate when you're proven wrong.

Moving on...
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    CSARdiver wrote: »

Here's a test, after taking your multivitamin time how quickly your urine changes. If it's significantly darker in less than 12 hours, your body doesn't need it and you just confirmed your renal system works.

Fish oil (omega 3 fatty acid) is about the only deficiency anyone living in a Western nation has unless you have some medical deficiency.

Riboflavin, vitamin B2 is gives the yellow color to your urine after taking a multivitamin. Most foods have riboflavin so you probably won't need that one as much as others.
    Your test is illogical for testing that you use all the different nutrients in a multivitamin.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    CSARdiver wrote: »

I take a b complex, and within a couple hours my pee looks neon bright. I thought this was a side effect of B's regardless if your body needs it or not??

• ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Every multi-vitamin I have tried has made me feel sick. I take "Nature's Bounty - Fiber With D3 Adult Gummies". Super yummy and 15 cal for 2.