600 pound life

Options
tretoptreece
tretoptreece Posts: 425 Member
I'm watching my 600 pound life and really thankful for my life right now. This show is sad! I don't like this doctor though, he's kinda cold. Maybe I'm just too emotional lol?

Replies

• fr3smyl
    fr3smyl Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I like the doctor. One of the episodes he said he gets tired of signing death certificates.

He wants to say things in a way that will reach the people and let them know just how serious their situation is.

He's not that bad B)
  • tretoptreece
    Options
    I guess it was just the first two episodes, he's pretty decent in this one. I can see what you mean!
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    I'm watching my 600 pound life and really thankful for my life right now. This show is sad! I don't like this doctor though, he's kinda cold. Maybe I'm just too emotional lol?

He's seen too many patients die because they don't take his instructions seriously. They're life is literally hanging by a thread and they're not acting like it, and it sickens him.
  • tretoptreece
    Options
    Yeah I see that now.... First time I've watched it. Soooooo depressing!
  • cuckoo_jenibeth
    cuckoo_jenibeth Posts: 1,434 Member
    Options
    I love this show! And, even though I have seen it before, I have to say that I hate Ashley's mom!

It is an amazing show and keeps motivated!
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    The doctor really is not very helpful.

I really think many of those people gain back the weight. It would be interesting to see if any studies have been done on longitudinal weight maintenance after surgery.
  • brokenhalo99
    brokenhalo99 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    jenibethbu wrote: »
    I love this show! And, even though I have seen it before, I have to say that I hate Ashley's mom!

It is an amazing show and keeps motivated!

I just got done watching Ashley's story tonight. So sad! Her mom is horrible and it made me want to cry. I agree this show is so good and great motivation to keep going.
  • HollyMGT
    HollyMGT Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I hate when the patients ignore the doctor's instructions and decide to do it their way after having the surgery. Hello, doing it your way is what got you to weigh 600+ pounds. I think Dr. Now knows what he's talking about when he tells you to stop eating a bunch of junk. Why waste an episode on someone who doesn't even try to lose any weight? I want to see their progress and success, not their stubbornness.

Personally, I think everyone who is in that condition should go through counseling and nutrional education proir to getting the surgery. There is clearly an underlying issue in each of the patients that they need to deal with before going under the knife.
  • tretoptreece
    Options
    HollyMGT wrote: »
    I hate when the patients ignore the doctor's instructions and decide to do it their way after having the surgery. Hello, doing it your way is what got you to weigh 600+ pounds. I think Dr. Now knows what he's talking about when he tells you to stop eating a bunch of junk. Why waste an episode on someone who doesn't even try to lose any weight? I want to see their progress and success, not their stubbornness.

Personally, I think everyone who is in that condition should go through counseling and nutrional education proir to getting the surgery. There is clearly an underlying issue in each of the patients that they need to deal with before going under the knife.

So true!!! I was shocked at how little they lost after the surgery! Until they started following the doctor's orders it wasn't beneficial for them. They still made excuses. Every single one! (I watched 3 episodes)
  • tretoptreece
    Options
    Yeah so true! One guy said last night his mom buys him the food so he doesn't get basically hostile. I can't imagine!
  • sarah2525
    sarah2525 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Ah yes. I dont like watching that show because it is sad. I am blessed to be able to move around. Lose weight the normal way and actually be a le to run etc. but gawsh its sad when people have health conditions that either put them that way. Or they just put themselves like that :(.
  • tretoptreece
    Options
    Yes exactly! The guy that was having to wash his wife and give her a bath that way, I was so humiliated for her. But she didn't seem to be bothered.
  • tonileigh820
    tonileigh820 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    I like to watch that show when I'm feeling lazy or like I wanna pig out. soon as it's turned on for more than a few minutes I'm throwing out the Reese's I just bought and putting on my running shoes!

and that dr is amazing! you have to be cold/blunt sometimes and he tells them straight up and I appreciate that.
  • Kimmotion5783
    Kimmotion5783 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I saw Laura's story (S3) on TV the other day and honestly, the episode infuriated me. The woman couldn't move and could barely breathe on her own and her own family, who she was entirely dependent on, kept feeding her crap. Their excuse? "We love her too much to say no." Uh-huh. That's not love. If my partner ever gained so much weight that he needed to use an oxygen mask just to survive, you bet your bottom I wouldn't be indulging him with sweets and greasy food 24/7.

I know, it's not really their responsibility to ensure she eats healthier and loses weight, but still. She was at a point where her life was at serious risk and they still did nothing. She couldn't even get up to get her own food/make her own meals. That was the perfect opportunity to make sure she was eating properly, and yet they continued feeding her the same old crap.

This! Yes, the people around the morbidly obese person that do this stuff to them are enabling and it gets me mad, too. Or when they're coming back from the doctor and go on the drive thru line for lunch *facepalm* That's probably the saddest part of the whole show- when the family turns a blind eye and continues to feed them garbage.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    OK, I know this is a necro, but I saw this version of the above and really liked it:

3ts6j2f02sj1.jpg
  • ultra_violets
    ultra_violets Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I love Dr. Now. The man got his medical license in 1970. He's been doing this a long time and he's hip to every trick in the book. He tells people what they need to hear. I think the saddest stories are the ones who still don't listen.
  • Kimmotion5783
    Kimmotion5783 Posts: 417 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Those memes are hilarious, and yes ultra, I agree- the saddest ones are the people who still don't change. It's just heartbreaking because it could have been avoided altogether. They just don't realize what they're missing out on. It's beyond sad!
  • kbmnurse1
    kbmnurse1 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    This doc says it like it is. Get moving and make healthy choices or die.