New to using FitBit

Options
I recently bought FitBit ... How accurate is daily calories burned reported to MFP? For example, I have my MFP settings at Sedentary and want to lose 1.5lbs per week it has my calories set to 1200, FitBit has synced and added 500 of daily activity burn (I haven't exercised just my daily activity). Can I eat what I've burned and still reach my goal?

Replies

• Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    I would eat say 50% and see if you continue to lose your goal.

Are you actually sedentary? An extra 500 calories seems like a large adjustment. I see up to 500 kj adjustments in mine if I don't exercise and that is more like 120 calories.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    How many steps did you get in?

I typically get an adjustment of ~400 calories if I get my 10k steps and have MFP set at Sedentary.

~Lyssa
  • suzeexoxo
    suzeexoxo Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    macgurlnet wrote: »

I typically get an adjustment of ~400 calories if I get my 10k steps and have MFP set at Sedentary.

~Lyssa

So far 8364 with 11 active minutes and 3.49 miles. Do you eat back what you burn through fitbit? How accurate has it been for you?
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    My guess is that you aren't actually sedentary. If I set my activity level to Sedentary, my adjustments would be huge. I typically get 100 to 650 when set at lightly active on MFP and I've had my Fitbit long enough to know that the calorie burn is actually fairly accurate for me.
  • suzeexoxo
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    I would eat say 50% and see if you continue to lose your goal.

Are you actually sedentary? An extra 500 calories seems like a large adjustment. I see up to 500 kj adjustments in mine if I don't exercise and that is more like 120 calories.

I have a desk job but Im a fidgety person and tend to get up constantly to mske copies, get water often, and restroom often (because I drink so much water). I park far and use stairs also once im home Im constantly moving.
  • suzeexoxo
    Options
    My guess is that you aren't actually sedentary. If I set my activity level to Sedentary, my adjustments would be huge. I typically get 100 to 650 when set at lightly active on MFP and I've had my Fitbit long enough to know that the calorie burn is actually fairly accurate for me.

Thanks that's good to know!
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    suzeexoxo wrote: »
    macgurlnet wrote: »

~Lyssa

So far 8364 with 11 active minutes and 3.49 miles. Do you eat back what you burn through fitbit? How accurate has it been for you?

You may have a desk job but you're not sedentary. You're closer to lightly active, really.

My Fitbit has been very accurate; I typically eat back all my earned calories, leaving maybe 50-100 to make up for inaccuracies in logging. I've had my Fitbit longer than I've been on MFP and I've lost 20 pounds thanks to the two of them :)

~Lyssa
  • suzeexoxo
    Options

So far 8364 with 11 active minutes and 3.49 miles. Do you eat back what you burn through fitbit? How accurate has it been for you?[/quote]

You may have a desk job but you're not sedentary. You're closer to lightly active, really.

My Fitbit has been very accurate; I typically eat back all my earned calories, leaving maybe 50-100 to make up for inaccuracies in logging. I've had my Fitbit longer than I've been on MFP and I've lost 20 pounds thanks to the two of them :)

~Lyssa[/quote]

Thanks thats awesome!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I didn't think it mattered what activity level you select, as long as you have negative adjustments enabled.

I've got mine set at sedentary, even tho I average 15,000-20,000 steps a day.

• suzeexoxo
    Options
    I didn't think it mattered what activity level you select, as long as you have negative adjustments enabled.

How can I know if I have negative adjustments enabled?
  • Christine_72
    Options

How can I know if I have negative adjustments enabled?

It's under the settings tab. make sure the box is ticked.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

• suzeexoxo
    Options

How can I know if I have negative adjustments enabled?[/quote]

It's under the settings tab. make sure the box is ticked.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

[/quote]

Thanks for your help!
  • Christine_72
    Options
    No worries. Having it enabled will let mfp giveth and taketh away calories if you're not as active as predicted.
    I usually wake up to minus 100 ish calories, but quickly make it up once i get into my walking mode.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I recently bought FitBit ... How accurate is daily calories burned reported to MFP?

I eat back 100% of my Fitbit adjustments, lost the weight, and have maintained for a year. Trust your Fitbit for several weeks, then reevaluate your progress.

Set your goal to .5 lb. per week for every 25 lbs. you're overweight, and enable negative calorie adjustments in your diary settings.

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users