VEGETARIANS/VEGANS - Where do your protein?

Options
2»

Replies

• babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    I'm watching this topic as I'm considering transitioning back to lacto-vegetarian.
    A "lacto-vegetarian" would just be a....vegetarian? :huh:
  • JeanMarieJ
    JeanMarieJ Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Eggs, lentils, brown rice, tofu, tempeh, veggie meat subs (I like the morningstar farms sausages, mainly cause I'm weird and like them), cottage cheese has 10g per 1/2 cup. You are welcome to check out my food diary, I am constantly going over my protein and I have been out of eggs for over a week (ugh) I only get farm fresh ones and haven't been to the farm.

here is some info on cheese for you; however, like everything you may want to double check:
    "Not all cheese is made with animal-derived rennet. There are a number of rennetless cheeses whose coagulating enzymes are vegetable, microbial, or genetically engineered. One group of rennetless cheeses has acidic levels high enough not to require enzymes for coagulation. This group includes cottage cheese, ricotta, and some varieties of mozzarella. Rennetless has also become a generic term for any cheese made without any animal derived enzymes."
    http://www.vegparadise.com/news32.html
  • Lecterman
    Lecterman Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian diets are easy. Dairy, eggs, nuts, tons to pick from.
    Vegan is harder, but it is still possible. IF you can do soy.

You don't need soy to be a vegan and get enough protein
  • MizzEngelChen
    MizzEngelChen Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm watching this topic as I'm considering transitioning back to lacto-vegetarian.
    A "lacto-vegetarian" would just be a....vegetarian? :huh:

No, a "normal" vegetarian would be ovo-lacto-vegetarian. Just lacto-vegetarian doesn't consume eggs ;o)
  • twinkfran
    twinkfran Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Check when you add things as I often find I am under my protein intake but realise when I have added something that someone else has put on MFP they haven't filled it in properly and only put calories...

I try and have something 'beany' at least once a day - so yesterday I had falafel and hummous, today I have brough hummus sandwiches and will have a tofu/veg curry for dinner

I always have nuts in my desk drawer at work too...
  • LeanneGoingThin
    LeanneGoingThin Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    The options are endless. Yoghurt, milk, eggs, soy, nuts....