Adrenal INSUFFICIENCY, and or Breastfeeding friends?

Hi Yll, I just started with MFP, and need some friends who either have adrenal insufficiency or are breastfeeding moms. MY son is 14 months now. And I have have been dx with adrenal insufficiency for about 2.5 years. I've been on prednisone 4mg since then. Any tips, pointers...

Replies

• victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    No experience with the adrenal insufficiency, but I'm breastfeeding my 6 month old. I've lost 47 pounds in 5 months. :) I had a lot to lose though, I'm still 27 pounds from my goal weight.
  • brendak76
    brendak76 Posts: 241 Member
    I don't have weight loss tips but my 14 year old was diagnosed with Addison's disease this year. He's on 5mg prednisone a day and also Flurinef. He's also type 1 diabetic. So far he has not had any side effects of prednisone. The endo explained that if the prednisone is at the right dosage he should not have side effects because it's just replacing the normal amount his body isn't making. He's a skinny growing boy and eats a ton. I'm jealous. You have a lot on your plate breastfeeding as well. Have you been having any prednisone issues?
  • Jille0
    Jille0 Posts: 62 Member
    I have secondary adrenal insufficiency and panhypopituitarism. I replace more than just cortisol. I have been diligently logging here for the last couple of months. I have managed to lose 14 pounds in the last nine weeks. Sounds like you have had quite a bit of success in losing weight! Congratulations! :smile:
  • Dondigan
    Dondigan Posts: 6 Member
    No prednisone issues. just after I had the baby, we wondered if my ravenous appetite was more than breastfeeding because I didn't lose much of my baby weight after I had my LO, so we lowered my prednisone dosage. That's when I started having these like precrisis episodes where I wouldbe vomiting so much that we were making a few emergency room visits. So I'm Back up on 4 mg.

I am only ACTH deficient. However I've been put on Florinef 2 times in the past 6 months due to dizziness.

I just started with MFP a couple days ago, and I've lost 3# so far. Not much. I'm needing an accountability partner I think.

As for my breastfeeding, we are 14 months strong and I wanna make sure I'm not cutting my calories too much. I did find you can add it into your diary.
  • mimimunchery
    mimimunchery Posts: 69 Member
    No adrenal insufficiency, but I am breastfeeding my six month old. My main problem is my ravenous appetite. I am starving all.the.time. !!!
  • amadeuss
    amadeuss Posts: 1 Member
    Hi, I am breastfeeding my 10 month old and I am starving all the time as well :)
  • proudmama0118
    proudmama0118 Posts: 433 Member
    I am breastfeeding my 2 month old. My short term goal is to lose 30 lbs by October. I just started logging back on MFP. Need to work to find that sweet spot where I can lose weight but not hurt my supply... still playing with it for now.
  • Dondigan
    Dondigan Posts: 6 Member
    Yeah, you have to be careful when the babies are that little. I wish I had started watching my caloric count then though.
  • Sedge1977
    Sedge1977 Posts: 4 Member
    If you take cortisol losing weight can be very difficult. Even more than normal. My spouse's endricrinologist indicated most people who start cortisol gain 5 lbs a month the first year and 2 lbs a month after that.
  • brendak76
    brendak76 Posts: 241 Member
    Sedge1977 wrote: »
    If you take cortisol losing weight can be very difficult. Even more than normal. My spouse's endricrinologist indicated most people who start cortisol gain 5 lbs a month the first year and 2 lbs a month after that.

This is not true in all cases. If your body does not make enough cortisol, those with adrenal insufficiency take just enough cortisol to replace what their body would have naturally made. My son will be on cortisol steroids the rest of his life for adrenal failure and has not gained weight at all from them. He is taking just the right amount.