Night eating question...

Options
pznatti
pznatti Posts: 51 Member
edited June 2015 in Food and Nutrition
I have been so good about night eating this past month... But tonight I am about 300 calories under where I'd planned to end and am actually hungry, not just mouth hungry. So do I:

a.) drink my tea and go to bed.
Or...
b.) eat my planned calories then drink my tea and go to bed.

Dilemma.

Replies

• honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Why are you worried about eating at night? Your body will process the calories the same way regardless of the time. If you have calories left why not eat something? All that matters is the deficit, meal timing is irrelevant.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    You can eat any time. As long as you are in an overall deficit, it doesn't matter. I literally eat until about 30 minutes before I go to sleep.

So there's no dilemma. Eat your 300 calories.
  • pznatti
    Options
    That's my thinking but for a long while I was eating at night even when I wasn't hungry. But I'm sitting here realizing that I am actually hungry cap there you have it. I just don't want to go down that path again. I've been working to break the automatic - Oh! The boys are asleep so now is when I snack - thinking again.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    pznatti wrote: »
    That's my thinking but for a long while I was eating at night even when I wasn't hungry. But I'm sitting here realizing that I am actually hungry cap there you have it. I just don't want to go down that path again. I've been working to break the automatic - Oh! The boys are asleep so now is when I snack - thinking again.

Well you're hungry because you're quite a bit under your calorie goal...so go eat.
  • SteampunkSongbird
    SteampunkSongbird Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    If you're hungry, eat something, it doesn't have to be something big; going to bed hungry can keep you awake, which obviously isn't ideal. It sucks when you're trying to sleep and your stomach is growling, lol. I'd probably have a banana, or a small portion of cereal or something as I'd personally prefer something lighter in my stomach than say, a big meat sandwich. Having a 300 cal under day won't do you any harm though if you do just decide to go to bed.
  • pznatti
    Options
    So I looked at my nutrition and picked something that would help me where my nutrients were low for the day. I feel much better already so thanks.
  • KaneNLN
    KaneNLN Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Im eating 30g carbs and 45g peanut butter before bed everynight, losing 1kg per week and losing inches on stomach/hips

Meal timing is a myth
  • pznatti
    Options
    KaneNLN wrote: »
    Im eating 30g carbs and 45g peanut butter before bed everynight, losing 1kg per week and losing inches on stomach/hips

Meal timing is a myth

Nice... I need to get some almond butter... I was short on carbs, fiber and protein. Had a bit of pasta with 2oz of grilled chicken and some sauce. Perfect.

I do have to be careful... when I let myself eat after the boys are in bed I start to slide towards junk. I've never ever eaten for macros before. that's new and I'm pretty excited about it. Makes me think I'm creating real change and not just trying to lose weight.

Thanks all...
  • buket1819
    buket1819 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    You eat.
    I lost 20 kg eating at night everyday. It really doesn't matter when you eat.
    Just find out what works for you :)
  • flaminica
    flaminica Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    My dinnertime is midnight, five nights out of seven. I'm never awake for more than two hours after that. It's made no difference. A deficit doesn't care about the clock.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    If I'm hungry at night I usually have a piece of fruit or bread with pb. Depends on how hungry I am. As far as the time goes, it doesn't matter when you eat.