HCG Diet?

Options

Replies

• HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    If followed correctly, it works wonders. If followed incorrectly, it doesn't. I followed it correctly and lost about 50 lbs and have kept it off. I thought it was easy to do. This is fact, not "too good to be true". I've since gone into the maintenance mode and have stayed within 5-10 lbs of my lowest weight. I feel great and am extremely pleased with the results I obtained from it.

People who gain weight back after doing the HCG program do so b/c they think they can go back to eating like crap after they lose weight. Of course you'll gain the weight back if you do this. If I lost 50 lbs using the traditional "move more/eat less" method, then stopped exercising & ate more and then gained it all back, would people think that "move more/eat less" doesn't work? Of course not, it'd be my own fault. But if somebody eats poorly after losing weight with HCG and gains weight, it means HCG doesn't work? That makes no sense to me.

I eat better now than I did before taking HCG. It helped me change my eating habits for the better and I've stuck to them after I stopped taking HCG.

HCG is not a quick-fix. It's Step 1 in the right direction.

I suggest you search as well. You'll see many positive posts from people who have successfully done (or are currently doing) the program. You'll also find many posts from naysayers cutting it down, but none of them have tried it or even bothered to read the eBook that details it. You have to decide which of those sources is reliable.
    msrichmond 18 posts total 17 posted about HCG, promoting and suggesting HCG sites he belongs too (other groups) just an fyi on a little back ground of this person

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/103444-concerned-about-my-mom-rant
  • leftyy2k4
    leftyy2k4 Posts: 71
    Options
    hCG Diet Reviewed by FullBar’s Dr. Michael Snyder
    http://www.dietsinreview.com/diet_column/07/hcg-diet-look-elsewhere-for-weight-loss/
    "You won’t see me promoting quick fixes or fad diets anytime soon. But every once in awhile something comes along that seems so dangerous I have to call it out. That’s why I’m going to help reveal the truth behind the HCG diet."

"There is no scientific evidence supporting HCG injections as a weight loss strategy. In addition, these injections have not been approved by the FDA for use in weight loss. In fact, since 1975 the FDA has required all marketing and advertising of HCG to state the following: “HCG has not been demonstrated to be effective adjunctive therapy in the treatment of obesity. There is no substantial evidence that it increases weight loss beyond that resulting from caloric restriction, that it causes a more attractive or ‘normal’ distribution of fat, or that it decreases the hunger and discomfort associated with calorie-restricted diets.”"

"The common side effects include headaches, mood swings, depression, blood clots, confusion, and dizziness. Some women also develop a condition called Ovarian Hyperstimulation Syndrome (OHSS); symptoms of this include pelvic pain, swelling of the hands and legs, stomach pain, weight gain"
  • leftyy2k4
    Options
    http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/29/9/940

Study done on hcg and weight loss
    "Ineffectiveness of human chorionic gonadotropin in weight reduction: a double-blind study"

" retest the hypothesis of the efficacy of human chorionic gonadotropin (HCG) on weight reduction in obese women in a clinic setting. We sought to duplicate the Asher-Harper study (1973) which had found that the combination of 500 cal diet and HCG had a statistically significant benefit...""

"HCG does not appear to enhance the effectiveness of a rigidly imposed regimen for weight reduction."

Another study

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8527285
    "The effect of human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) in the treatment of obesity by means of the Simeons therapy: a criteria-based meta-analysis"

"We conclude that there is no scientific evidence that HCG is effective in the treatment of obesity; it does not bring about weight-loss of fat-redistribution, nor does it reduce hunger or induce a feeling of well-being."

When hCG was tested, it was compared to a placebo which included the Very Low Calorie Diet. And yes, VLCDs work. You will lose weight on one. Guidance and support can also be very helpful for weight loss; that's why programs like Weight Watchers have regular meetings and weigh ins. Frankly, if you have to be accountable to someone for your successes and failures, you tend to be a little more serious about making an effort.

But what the clinical data shows is that when you compare the results of people on a VLCD and those on a VLCD and hCG, there is no perceptible difference—in weight loss, in perceived hunger, in anything.

In other words, it is the low calorie diet, possibly in conjunction with the regular support and guidance, that is responsible for the weight loss.

Not the hCG shots.
  • fivefatcats
    fivefatcats Posts: 368
    Options
    @Lefty:

Well, your's are the first comments I have read against HCG that seemed to at least have some research behind it, so kudos for that.

That said, I did read the articles that you quoted, and although I plan to think further on the subject my conclusions for now are this:

Let's assume that it isn't the HCG that's working. Do I care? I feel great and the weight is coming off - isn't that the goal?

Let's day that it is the VLCD that forces the body to burn fat as fuel to supplement dietary intake, instead of HCG causing the body to release stored fat for use as fuel, then supplementing with the VLCD. Again - do I care?

Maybe the HCG is a placebo or an excuse to go on a strict VLCD. I has certainly given me 2 solid weeks of hard core discipline that I needed . . . badly.

My goal is to VLCD another 2-3 weeks, Phase 3 (no starch/sugar) for 3 weeks, then gently go back to a healthier version of 'normal' eating, with variety, flavor, color, and pleasure.

I understand that you have only been on MFP for a few weeks, but looking over your food diary, it looks like you have found a few favorite meals and eat them regularly. Do you think you will eventually want more variety - or is this a plan you can use as your 'forever' lifestyle? Also, I have reset my protein and carb percentages much closer together than you have yours based on information in Muscle & fitness about toning and increasing muscle strength.

My sister is 4-5 weeks ahead of me on HCG - she is currently in Phase 4 (maintenance) and is prepping for a second round of HCG. She and a group of others are currently in different phases of the HCG diet. All I know for sure is that the people she and I have spoken to than are actually on/have been on this plan have not suffered irritability or hunger while on it.

It's working for me.
  • leftyy2k4
    Options
    First those aren't articles. They aren't opinion. They are peer reviewed scientific fact.

Next if you want to do vlcd do one and leave out the hcg. The same year this diet was proposed in the 1960's one of the leading diet fads was tapeworm. Give yourself a tapeworm?

People want a magic bullet. they want a quick easy way. And people are paying big dollars to be fooled. You get the same results with out the dangers of hcg. Don't be fooled hcg is dangerous especially to women.
    One of the life-threatening hCG diet dangers for women is manifestation of Ovarian Hyperstimulation Syndrome (OHSS). Under such a case, the patient experiences nausea, vomiting, breathing difficulty, excess urination and weight gain.

Life threatening. Weight loss aint suppose to be life threatening.

This is why the fda does not approve of this treatment.

I heard crack is a good weight loss diet too. Should we all start doing crack? See my point?

But its your life. And your body. Good luck and be safe.
  • leftyy2k4
    Options
    More info for you ladies.

Ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome
    https://health.google.com/health/ref/Ovarian+hyperstimulation+syndrome
    Ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome (OHSS) is a complication from some forms of fertility medication. Most cases are mild, but a small proportion is severe.

Symptoms
    The symptoms of OHSS can range from mild to severe. Most women with the condition have mild symptoms such as:
    Abdominal bloating
    Mild pain in the abdomen
    Weight gain
    In rare cases, women can have more serious symptoms, including:
    Significant weight gain (more than 10 pounds in 3 - 5 days)
    Severe pain or swelling in the abdomen
    Decreased urination
    Shortness of breath

Causes
    Normally, a woman produces one egg per month. Some women undergoing fertility treatments are given medicines to help normalize egg development or increase egg production.
    However, if the drugs stimulate the ovaries too much, the ovaries can suddenly become very swollen and fluid can leak into the belly and chest area. This is called ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome (OHSS). OHSS occurs only after the eggs are released from the ovary (ovulation).
    You may be more likely to get OHSS if your doctor gives you an injection of a hormone called human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) to help trigger ovulation. You may have an even greater risk of this syndrome if you receive more than one dose of hCG after ovulation and if you become pregnant during this cycle. OHSS rarely, if ever, occurs in women who only take fertility medicines by mouth.
    OHSS affects up to 10% of women who go through in vitro fertilization. In most cases the condition is mild, but some women get a severe and dangerous form of OHSS.

Complications
    In rare cases, OHSS can lead to life-threatening complications, including:
    Blood clots
    Kidney failure
    Severe electrolyte imbalance
    Severe fluid build-up in the abdomen or chest

Sounds very safe huh.
  • fivefatcats
    Options
    I guess we will have to agree to disagree.
  • leftyy2k4
    Options

I am not the one you are disagreeing with. I am just giving you the FACTS. Not opinions, facts. How you want to use them is for you. Its your body. And your risk.

I know my kids aint worth the risk. Maybe yours are.
  • shawnalmil
    shawnalmil Posts: 137
    Options
    u take the drops for 2 days and then on the 3rd day u take the drops plus eat ONLY 500 calories, for like 2 weeks! thats insane, not healthy and yah may get u quick results but how long will it last?
  • laurenpence
    laurenpence Posts: 147
    Options
    It worked for my friend but she said she was hungry the whole time. Since the diet consists of so few calories your body goes into starvation mode and it will eat away your fat and MUSCLE! NOT A GOOD THING! I say do not do it. She gained back almost all of it and is planning on doing it again which i just don't understand. I believe in eating in moderation and exercising to keep the weight off and be healthy. No yo yo diets!
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options

But what the clinical data shows is that when you compare the results of people on a VLCD and those on a VLCD and hCG, there is no perceptible difference—in weight loss, in perceived hunger, in anything.

In other words, it is the low calorie diet, possibly in conjunction with the regular support and guidance, that is responsible for the weight loss.

Not the hCG shots.

I definitely wondered about this because the results people were describing were so similar to those described in studies of VLCDs!
  • leftyy2k4
    Options

Not the hCG shots.

I definitely wondered about this because the results people were describing were so similar to those described in studies of VLCDs!

Its simple science. 500 calories a day is not even enough to run the avg adult brain. So the body is forced to eat lean tissue and fat. Result being rapid weight loss.

And all the risks that come with it.

I want to be thin but not bad enough to do serious harm to my body. I figured I have done enough harm eating junk for so long.
  • shawnalmil
    shawnalmil Posts: 137
    Options

Not the hCG shots.

Its simple science. 500 calories a day is not even enough to run the avg adult brain. So the body is forced to eat lean tissue and fat. Result being rapid weight loss.

And all the risks that come with it.

I want to be thin but not bad enough to do serious harm to my body. I figured I have done enough harm eating junk for so long.

your right! 500 isnt enough women need atleast 1200 and mean i think its 1800!
  • elmct57
    elmct57 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    my, what a lot of experts we have posting...
    http://www.healthscience.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=512:are-you-in-the-starvation-mode-or-starving-for-truth&catid=102:jeff-novicks-blog&Itemid=267

i assume you're anti Medifast, Optifast and any other protein sparing modified fasts as well.

most of the detractors seem to just assume the posters are going it alone and are not medically supervised...
  • leftyy2k4
    Options
    Michael Jackson was being medically supervised. That term means very little when talking bout fad diets in a billion+ weight loss industry.

Not to mention one poster buys her HCG herself and admisters it herself.

VLCD are only suggested for certain people in very rare cases.

I doubt any one doing a hcg diet is doing one cause their primary care physician prescribed it.

Organ failure is a very real risk in a VLCD. Including sudden cardiac arrest.
  • elmct57
    Options

VLCD are only suggested for certain people in very rare cases.
  • elmct57
    Options
    yes, they are.
  • fivefatcats
    Options

I am not the one you are disagreeing with. I am just giving you the FACTS. Not opinions, facts. How you want to use them is for you. Its your body. And your risk.

I know my kids aint worth the risk. Maybe yours are.

That wasn't necessary.
  • leftyy2k4
    Options
    If your kids are inspiration to lose weight, as they ar for most if us, they should also be in your mind when you take risks to your health. Maybe you ain't thought about it but what if something happened to you?

HCG and VLCD have been linked to serious health issues. My statement bout my kids not being worth the risk stands. I would hate to know I was not around for them cause I tried some fad diet.

Maybe you see things differently. I dunno but that's the reality of it. Sorry if that upsets you.
  • kalibsmom
    kalibsmom Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    @Lefty
    If you aren't interested in doing the diet then why even participate on this board...you stated you opion or facts...so move on!! You are being very mean and cruel to some people, everyone makes their own choices...get over it!! And bringing someone elses kids into a message board is just juvenile!! GROW UP!!!