Suggestion for High Protein Low Fat food

Options
No man made protein powder please. These days in order to fulfil my protein need I am eating egg, cheese and curd. However my fat intake is crossing the red line. I don't want to consume protein powder but something natural. Please suggest.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Egg whites, low fat dairy, lean meat and white fish. Also beans/legumes/Quinoa but they come with lots of carbs too.

Whey protein powder is made from whey. That's natural?
  • Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Do you not eat meat? There are lots of lean cuts if you do. Also Greek yogurt is awesome. Unsweetened Fage is around 20g per single serving tub (6 Oz I think) depending on the percent milk fat you choose.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Beans, lentils, pork chops, tilapia, shrimp, turkey jerky, broccoli, kale, collards, green beans, peas.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Beans, lentils, pork chops, tilapia, shrimp, turkey jerky, broccoli, kale, collards, green beans, peas.

How much broccoli would you have me eat for 20g protein?
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Tuna, no-fat cottage cheese
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Are you vegetarian?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    lean cuts of meat, poultry, and fish...things like cheese have protein, but they are really a fat source, not an ideal protein source.
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Keep grilled chicken in the fridge. Toss it in anything. Red meats are higher in calorie. Sounds like you want protein without the fats and calories. Eggs are good, greek yogurt if you are not Paleo.
  • Spice1973
    Spice1973 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Homemade roasted chickpeas
  • JamesMartyn
    JamesMartyn Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    flippy1234 wrote: »
    Keep grilled chicken in the fridge. Toss it in anything. Red meats are higher in calorie. Sounds like you want protein without the fats and calories. Eggs are good, greek yogurt if you are not Paleo.

I whole-heartedly agree with greek yogurt as someone who eats predominantly paleo. If you are not lactose intolerant, most paleo nutritionists will allow dairy products, with greek yogurt at the top of it due to it's probiotic qualities! Following a strict, traditionalist, true-to-definition paleo diet though you would be correct. I suppose I'm more into the "perfect health diet" over paleo.

Either way, back to OP, Greek yogurt (though I prefer full-fat for them good fats), egg whites, lean meats (chicken, tuna, etc) as most people have suggested. You'll get all you need from those options I there's so many ways to prepare them I don't think you will ever get bored.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Egg whites, fat free greek yogurt, lowfat cottage cheese, lean meat/fish/seafood.

Dry roasted soy beans or edamame are high protein, low fat and high fiber. Only a couple of net carbs per 30g serving (about 1/4 cup). You can buy them with all types of seasonings, or plain. I love the wasabi flavored.

• rajnigandha21
    rajnigandha21 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I don't follow paleo. eat fishes and poultry but no mammals' meat or sea food. I do eat prawns. Grilled chicken will be edible for whole week or I will have to put it in the freezer? Green beans,legumes and kale I will try. Can we make Greek yogurts at home?
  • rajnigandha21
    rajnigandha21 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Egg whites, fat free greek yogurt, lowfat cottage cheese, lean meat/fish/seafood.

Dry roasted soy beans or edamame are high protein, low fat and high fiber. Only a couple of net carbs per 30g serving (about 1/4 cup). You can buy them with all types of seasonings, or plain. I love the wasabi flavored.
    Yes soybeans are good source. Thanks!
  • Mapalicious
    Mapalicious Posts: 412 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

I am a firm believer that "non-fat" dairy products are ridiculous - I always choose low-fat. Non-fat often (not always) has a negligent difference in calories compared to low-fat, but just more sugars and carbs. Seriously. The non-fat trend HAS to stop. Doesn't mean necessarily go for whole-fat, but why just fill your calories up with sugars and carbs when fats make you feel fuller longer?

Sorry...I ranted.
  • JMC3Terp
    JMC3Terp Posts: 2,803 Member
    Options
    Egg Beaters, Fairlife Fat Free Milk, Grilled Chicken
  • lemurcat12
    edited June 2015
    Options

I am a firm believer that "non-fat" dairy products are ridiculous - I always choose low-fat. Non-fat often (not always) has a negligent difference in calories compared to low-fat, but just more sugars and carbs.

I also prefer low fat (taste plus the amount of fat fits with my macros and helps us absorb the vitamins in our food, but this really isn't true.

The difference between low fat and no fat dairy is just that the rest of the fat is skimmed out. The remainder of the product is the same--any sugar in the low fat (or full fat) would be in the no fat, but no additional sugar. (Also cottage cheese has little sugar no matter what the kind.)

If you compare like amounts of plain greek yogurt, the calories from sugar (and protein) are very close.

Also, of course, I see no reason to avoid sugar or carbs in low/no fat dairy and therefore to get more calories in a smaller amount unless there's a taste advantage or you are low on fat (most people probably are not unless they are going out of their way to be). Since I like low fat as much as full fat for, say, cottage cheese and don't find full fat more filling, I eat low fat, and someone who likes no fat just as much might as well eat no fat so long as they are getting enough fat elsewhere. (And arguably I wouldn't cut out sources of fat like avocado or olives to make room for more dairy fat. My bigger issue, though, is that I like to get my saturated fat from cheese and meat and eggs vs. greek yogurt and cottage cheese.)
  • KC5115
    KC5115 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of plain chicken breast, ground chicken, salmon, tuna, greek yogurt, and egg whites.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Whey protein powder is made from whey. That's natural?
    Yes, comes from dairy.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    "Little Miss Moppet...eating her curds and whey."
  • Mapalicious
    Mapalicious Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

The difference between low fat and no fat dairy is just that the rest of the fat is skimmed out. The remainder of the product is the same--any sugar in the low fat (or full fat) would be in the no fat, but no additional sugar. (Also cottage cheese has little sugar no matter what the kind.)

I'm going to disagree with you, Kalikel!

Since the fat takes up volume and is skimmed out of non-fat items, what is left behind is more sugary and carby - meaning there are more of the part of the product that have sugar and carbs to make up in volume for the fat you've taken away.

ALSO - since vitamins A, D, and a few others are fat-soluble, you remove a LOT of them when you remove all the fat. No good!

Just say NO to non-fat ;)