I'm losing confidence in TDEE, please help :(

Options
Hi everyone,

I really need some help because I am so close to giving up. I lost about 8 pounds eating 1200 calories, plateaued for a month and then lost about six pounds using TDEE -20%. I haven't lost any weight over two weeks, which wouldn't normally be a big deal, but I actually gained two pounds. Since I was eight pounds away from my goal people suggested I up my calories to TDEE -15%, which I did. Ever since I have gone from 1600 calories to 1750 I have continually gained. I changed my workouts done but I still exercise just as long and I workout everyday. I really don't care too much about the number on the scale but my clothes are fitting tighter, which is what really upsets me. After I gave birth to our youngest daughter I lost over 75 pounds eating 1200 calories a day but I gained about 20 back, which I now trying to lose. I am losing hope in TDEE so I would love to hear some stories of people gaining at first and then losing. Thank you!!!

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    So maybe go back to a 20% cut, since that was working? Not sure why you would lose confidence in the TDEE method overall since you did lose weight with it, but have gained only since switching to 15%. It's not an exact formula, and if after 4-6 weeks you are gaining, then just adjust cals down a bit.
  • ajcmoran2005
    ajcmoran2005 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I think I'm losing confidence because I'm gaining, which never happened before. Even if I lost 1/2 pound every two weeks I would be thrilled but gaining really stinks. I've been netting right at 1400 calories a day and eating about 1700. I run about 3.5 miles everyday too. If I was eating crap and not working out then I would definitely understand the gain but I'm eating better than I have in years. Much cleaner eating and I'm failing.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Has your TDEE changed as your weight has changed? Maybe you should start from scratch and re-calculate your TDEE with your current stats, then go from there. Also, make sure your gain isn't just water weight. How often are you weighing? Are you taking measurements or just relying on the scale?
  • meandmykitty
    Options
    What is TDEE?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    So maybe go back to a 20% cut, since that was working? Not sure why you would lose confidence in the TDEE method overall since you did lose weight with it, but have gained only since switching to 15%. It's not an exact formula, and if after 4-6 weeks you are gaining, then just adjust cals down a bit.

This....

Also, your 2 Lb gain is most likely extra water from increasing calories slightly...increasing your calories by 150 calories isn't enough to put on fat. To put on a single pound of actual fat, you have to consume 3500 calories over maintenance. You're not gaining fat...'cuz science and you are not a special snowflake.

When you increase caloric intake, your body does have to retain a bit more water to metabolize. Also, if you switched up your exercise or are doing more intense exercise, this also results in extra water retention for muscle repair.
  • ajcmoran2005
    Options
    I look at the scale but I typically just go by how my clothes feel, and they are definitely tighter. I did recalculate my TDEE after I lost my initial six pounds but it didn't change much. I am 39, 5'4" and 130 pounds. I entered moderately active on Scooby's since I run everyday and I'm always on my feet chasing after our three kids.
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    What is TDEE?

Total Daily Energy Expenditure...it is a method of calorie counting. MFP uses the NEAT method (Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis), which allows you to eat back exercise calories because exercise is extra activity (so long as you've properly set your activity level). Some people like the NEAT method, but others prefer to just include exercise in their activity...i.e. TDEE method.

BMR + NEAT + Exercise = TDEE
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    I look at the scale but I typically just go by how my clothes feel, and they are definitely tighter. I did recalculate my TDEE after I lost my initial six pounds but it didn't change much. I am 39, 5'4" and 130 pounds. I entered moderately active on Scooby's since I run everyday and I'm always on my feet chasing after our three kids.

I'm telling you it's in your head...2 Lbs of anything doesn't make your clothes tighter....hell, I'm 3 Lbs heavier today than I was yesterday because I had a high sodium day and didn't drink enough water...too much beer. It's not fat...again, 'cuz science. Just go back to eating TDEE - 20% if that was working and you're worried about this...but I do think you need to wrap your brain around the science otherwise you're never going to be able to eat to maintenance. You may also want to do an average of light active and moderate...this isn't an exact science...nobody's TDEE is exactly XXXX calories...you do have to play with it some.

Also, natural body weight fluctuations are natural...I fluctuate a good 3-5 Lbs per day...you're talking about 2 Lbs of water and freaking out...
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    In my humble opinion, it is easy to underestimate the true number of calories you are taking in, so opting for a relatively high number of daily calories is asking for trouble-- you have no wiggle room.

Also, many of the MFPers who advocate eating more are utilizing bro-science. What works for a 25 YO man may not work for you.
  • ajcmoran2005
    Options
    You guys are awesome, thank you so much for your advice. You have made me feel much better. I will probably go down 100 calories and see how that works because it did work for awhile. I just wanted to see if it was normal to gain a little when you raised your calories.
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    In my humble opinion, it is easy to underestimate the true number of calories you are taking in, so opting for a relatively high number of daily calories is asking for trouble-- you have no wiggle room.

Also, many of the MFPers who advocate eating more are utilizing bro-science. What works for a 25 YO man may not work for you.

It was working for her just fine. TDEE isn't bro-science it is science.
  • fluffykitsune
    fluffykitsune Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I wouldn't cut your calories back down. What happens when you reach goal and maintenance? Are you just going to keep eating 1600..? Your body is trying to stabilize, thats why you're gaining, it is trying to fill all of its depleted sources (of fat, vitamins, glycogen, water, etc). The same thing is going to happen when you reach your goal weight, thats why you lower your cut from 20% to ~10%, so it isn't so drastic of a change (and 400 cals is a big difference to a body whos been overfed).

Have you taken a week to eat at maintenance yet?
  • ajcmoran2005
    Options
    I haven't done that. Should I? My maintenance is almost 2100 calories so I would have to go up about 350 calories, which is a little scary!
  • ALittleBitLess1
    ALittleBitLess1 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    hi, well done so far by the way!!, have you thought about mixing up up your exercise a bit? add another half mile 3 days a week or add in some weights? I find I have better results when I keep my body on is toes as it were, don't let it get too used to one thing!

It will adapt and be more efficient at running than it was a few months ago because you have done such a good job at sticking to it! I have read lots about people having fantastic results from lifting, just need to make sure you eating enough of the right things to fuel your body.
  • larnsperger
    larnsperger Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Staying the same for two weeks is normal for someone who is so close to goal. Two pounds doesn't usually make your clothes feel any tighter either. Are you weighing, measuring and logging your food? We sometimes fool ourselves with what we actually consume, or underestimate serving sizes. Deep breath, stick with the plan...
  • chezzac17
    chezzac17 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I havnt lost any weight on MFP : (...and I was trying very hard.....I lost 3 kilos on WW...but that's it..Im not sure what to do either can anyone help me plllsssssss
  • Hurdie69
    Hurdie69 Posts: 2
    Options
    Sorry but I am new to this but what is TDEE?
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    I'm about the same as you (5'5" 128-130) and I haven't been able to lose for months. I figure I'm about where I'm supposed to be. I would like to lose about 5 more lb. if I ate 1700 I'd gain no doubt. I agree that as a woman approaching 40, we really can't eat like a 20 something who has a very high metabolism. Do you only run for exercise? I wouldn't run every day (for many reasons) but run every other day and do strength or something different on the off days. I'd also eat around 1400 and see how that works.
  • vertor81
    vertor81 Posts: 17
    Options
    I wonder what actually are you eating because it is not only the calories that matter, also importand is from what those calories are generated. if you eat to much fat or sugar then you will most likely lower your metabolism and lean mass instead of loosing fat.
    It is not possible to say anythink about it without seeing your diary.
    also one should not change the intake by more that 100 kal/week to avoid gaining from the calorie increase.
  • lswain1970
    lswain1970 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Have you considered adjusting your macro goals instead of the calories? As others have stated, its likely water weight due to the increase in calories. For me, I have learned that a higher protein and lower carb ratio helps keep the water fluctuations under control. Every one is different, but thought I would throw that out there since depending on your exercise program and just your individual needs, you may benefit from more protein and even more fat if its the healthy variety (nuts, olive oil, flax, etc.).