which is the best course??

Options
hi everyone
most of my success has been with slimming world and i ventured here a few weeks back and ive never looked back since.
my profile is currently set to sedenmentry as i work in an office till 2pm then look after my 2 girls. i workout when i can normally around 3 times a week and i eat back a good half ( sometimes more) of the exercise cals. what i wanted to know was that a few people on here have heard that its best to set your profile to lightly active, and not eat back any exercise cals that you do.
is this the best course of action? i still have a good 3 stone to lose, do people have success eating their exercise calories back, or do people not bother with them, friends on my profile are netting at below 1000 cals after exercise for the day and my gut is telling me thats too low surely?

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    MFP is designed to eat back your exercise calories. Keep doing what you're doing and the loss will come. The people eating below 1000 aren't doing it right and will be the ones complaining when their hair starts falling out. Remember, the winner get's to eat the most and still lose.
  • leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    this is what i was thinking - but when i saw at least 4-5 people doing the same thing on my friends list i had to second guess myself. glad im doing the right thing. smiley:
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Try using the app as it was designed and eat your exercise calories. If you find, after a few weeks, that you've lost nothing, try eating half of those exercise calories.

Using it the way it was designed seems easiest, KWIM? :)
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    There's a big difference between "netting" below 1000 calories and eating below 1000 calories. You should never eat below 1000 calories, but there are several reasons why you might see people netting below 1000 calories. One reason is that the calories burned they are logging is inaccurate. Often, calorie burn estimators give gross calories burned (includes BMR). Since MFP already accounts for BMR using the activity level, people will eat less than 100% of the calories that are reported as burned (50% or so). This will cause the MFP net calories to be less than a person's goal calories, even though they are eating well over 1000 calories per day.
  • leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    yea that makes sense - but is it something to aim for?
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    I admit to doing the second one, but it's because I'm too lazy to log my workouts. It works for me alright! I say do what works for you!