Water Intake

Options
1newcat
1newcat Posts: 75 Member
Things have changed a lot since my last log in. I was wondering about the water intake goals... I don't remember it being "30 cups". So are we using a literal translation these days... 8oz per cup making the water goal 240oz? Just seems like a lot, but then again math has never been my strongest area!

Replies

• sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I average about 2-3 liters of water per day.

8 oz in a cup
    4 cups in a liter

That's 64 to 96 oz. which is plenty.

Edit: I also count water from coffee, tea, and sugar-free water based drinks.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Something's not right. No one needs 240 ounces of water in a day...unless you're a 300 pound marathon runner.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Usually the minimum is eight 8oz cups per day

I usually get closer to 20ish cups, but do whatever works for you!
  • charlesmauch
    charlesmauch Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Bodyweight in lbs* .6 = ounces of fluid to consume daily. That or keep drinking until you pee mostly clear 5x a day.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I don't log water, but I think there must be a glitch if you see a requirement as 30 cups. If I'm hiking and it is hot, I'll go through 1-2 liters per hour and still go 10 hours without urinating (i.e. I'm sweating nearly all of it out).
  • CarolPre
    CarolPre Posts: 1,848 Member
    Options
    I try to get at least 8 8oz cups of water a day. If I workout a lot in a day, I usually drink more.
  • s2mikey
    s2mikey Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    I average about 2-3 liters of water per day.

8 oz in a cup
    4 cups in a liter

That's 64 to 96 oz. which is plenty.

Edit: I also count water from coffee, tea, and sugar-free water based drinks.

I agree - I drink about 80-100 ounces of water everyday plus my tea and coffee. I start the morning and day drinking heavily and then calm it down by early evening so I dont pee all night. I believe its helped my weight loss and overall health. Im NEVER thirsty, even after cardio or whatever.
  • B_TEEN
    B_TEEN Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Bodyweight in lbs* .6 = ounces of fluid to consume daily. That or keep drinking until you pee mostly clear 5x a day.

I agree with the above. Generally, I used half my body weight in ounces for minimum amount of water (only) to drink. Additionally, I try to start my day drinking at least 32 ounces before I consume anything else. I hope to increase that to 2 liters with the intent of drinking about 3-5 liters of fluids per day.
  • JMC3Terp
    JMC3Terp Posts: 2,803 Member
    Options
    I would drink 8 to 12 cups of water a day. That's 64 to 96 oz. I do not count water from coffee, tea, and sugar-free water drinks though.

Depending on your weight, I would not follow this. Well atleast not the first part. Pee is always a good indicator or how you are doing drinking. For my weight, the first part of this equation would put me at 20 cups of fluids. That could be very unhealthy. Pay attention to your pee or aim for 8 to 12 cups a day minimum IMO.