Any Veterans out there? Looking for friends

Looking for friends. Prior Navy here with health issues related to the military.

Looking to loose a lot of weight and a bit tired of people telling me that I probably will not be able to obtain my goal due to my age. Looking for Can-do personalities :)

Replies

• meglo91
    meglo91 Posts: 65 Member
    Hi! I'm former active duty AF -- current Reservist! Welcome.
    I'm trying to get back in shape too. You don't look very old to me -- can't imagine why anyone's telling you your age would be a problem. My advice? Don't listen. Do your own thing. Work your own program.
  • darenc_1972
    darenc_1972 Posts: 18 Member
    Former 11 Bravo US Army Infantry here, had to get back in shape at 43 and have done it. Dont give up you can do it.
  • bhancock86
    bhancock86 Posts: 1 Member
    Was in the army, got out in 2010. I have gained a considerable amount of weight (almost 100 pounds) and finally decided to do something. I have passively tried a few times but never stuck to it and I hope this time I finally can.
  • Rogsman
    Rogsman Posts: 106 Member
    Any vet can feel free to friend me. Navy 1985-2002.

47 years old, went from 250+ to 180 and approaching 700 days of logging. Lifestyle change - weights, cardio, logging.

I won't say it's easy, but it's only as hard as you want to make it. Never make it harder than you can handle. Small changes make a huge impact over time.
  • ProudVetMom
    ProudVetMom Posts: 12 Member
    I was Navy. Over ten years between active and active reserves. I am 42 and am a single mom of 4 children. Most of the people my age just think as you age you will never get that trim again. The weight I want to lose though puts me at my ultimate goal. If I weighed less than 150 people would throw food at me. I have a stocky build.

I need therapy on both shoulders which keeps me unable to do anything upper body. One I had surgery on last June and it is not healing in the right grain. They have to break up scar tissue and then get it to heal in the right direction. I am trying to get the VA choice program to let me get into PT here locally.

I also have Crohn's disease and almost died when my intestines ruptured. Had a colostomy bag for 9 months before they put me back together and left me with a hernia, which I had surgery on last June as well.

I refuse to give up, its not in me. I just have to be creative to lose the weight. Currently It is all about caloric intake.
    Hopefully the docs can fix me up some and I can get in the pool again. I can do some walking, but have to be careful.

I appreciate all advice.
  • AfriPoke
    AfriPoke Posts: 9 Member
    Army retired here (2013). Just got onto the forums, but have been on a fitness tear since April.

Post retirement fitness observation #1:

This stuff is much easier when doing it for myself and not in formation.