Very, very fatigued

Options
Hello,
So my stats are 182cm, 159 pounds and aiming to get to around 150. I exercise a lot at quite a high intensity every day and often spend two hours in the gym - not because I feel I have to but because I enjoy it and like the calories I earn from it! However, these past few days my performance has decreased, I am very tired and have dizzy spells and headaches along with being extremely hungry. Would it be beneficial for me to take a so-called cheat day to heal my body and remotivate and rejuvenate or..? Any recommendations would be great - thanks!

Replies

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    sounds like you are not eating enough - you need to fuel those workouts, so if you have your calories set to 1200 and are only eating 1200 calories total then that is not enough. Eat some of your exercise calories back.
  • lucyholdcroft363
    lucyholdcroft363 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I always NET at least 1400 calories, usually closer to 1550/1600
  • spatulamom
    spatulamom Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    So my stats are 182cm, 159 pounds and aiming to get to around 150. I exercise a lot at quite a high intensity every day and often spend two hours in the gym - not because I feel I have to but because I enjoy it and like the calories I earn from it! However, these past few days my performance has decreased, I am very tired and have dizzy spells and headaches along with being extremely hungry. Would it be beneficial for me to take a so-called cheat day to heal my body and remotivate and rejuvenate or..? Any recommendations would be great - thanks!

Where are you in your cycle? I've noticed that I have days with extreme hunger and fatigue a couple of times a month - right before I ovulate and right around the time AF is due. (I'm actually having one of those days today.)

I've upped my calories the last couple of days just because my body seems to be trying to compensate (still within my goal, but eating all of my calories if needed).
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Do you work out 2 hours every day? Any rest days in there? If not, you are likely over training.

Do you eat back any exercise calories? If not, you may not be eating enough to full all that working out.
  • LolaKarwowski
    LolaKarwowski Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I would eat more if I were you.
  • lucyholdcroft363
    Options
    @spatulamom I don't have that 'time of the month' at the moment due to being on birth control...but I will remember that when I am off it! :sweat_smile:
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Fuel your workouts, its a lack of energy from not feeding your body properly for your exercise.
  • lucyholdcroft363
    Options
    @whatatime2befit I always try to eat back most calories and end up with like 200 exercise calories left which I think makes up for that margin of error..
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Hello,

It doesn't sound like you need a "cheat day". It sounds like you need to eat more overall. You are very active and it seems like you're just burning out. How many pounds a week are you trying to lose and what are your calories set to?
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    hydration? low protein or low iron? take a rest day at least once a week if you work out that much, make sure you're eating well, and if it continues get thee to a doctor for a blood test.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary, you are probably eating enough; however, you tend to have 500+ calories every day in chocolate, candy, or skittles. I would suggest trading that for 'real' food--protein sources, fruits, vegetables, dairy--and you might have a bit more energy.
  • lucyholdcroft363
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »
    Hello,

It doesn't sound like you need a "cheat day". It sounds like you need to eat more overall. You are very active and it seems like you're just burning out. How many pounds a week are you trying to lose and what are your calories set to?

I'm trying to lose roughly a pound a week, though I am losing 1.5 pounds a week recently. My goal is 1750 calories as a net. I think I do need to eat more, I am just somewhat worried about eating too much more..
  • lucyholdcroft363
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »
    Looking at your diary, you are probably eating enough; however, you tend to have 500+ calories every day in chocolate, candy, or skittles. I would suggest trading that for 'real' food--protein sources, fruits, vegetables, dairy--and you might have a bit more energy.
    I disagree, I have had that many calories in 'junk' like two or three times this week due to being out and about at college. Otherwise I try to maintain a balanced diet and hit my macros.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    You sound like you need a good rest day. Fueling your workouts doesn't mean your body won't get tired.
  • slaite1
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Hello,

I'm trying to lose roughly a pound a week, though I am losing 1.5 pounds a week recently. My goal is 1750 calories as a net. I think I do need to eat more, I am just somewhat worried about eating too much more..

Seriously just eat more. You want to lose 9 pounds? You don't need to lose 1-1.5 pounds a week. Most people would recommend .5 lb/week with your stats. 1750 is not a lot of calories for your activity level.

Everyone can go,go,go for a while-some of us longer than others. But eventually you WILL burn out and/or injure yourself and probably gain your weight back. It happens to people all the time.

Eat more and make sure you are taking rest days. Maybe get a better program that doesn't have you in the gym 2 hours/day. (Their is a thread floating around on recomp-you might be interested in that). I understand you like working out (me too!!) but it's just not sustainable.

Plus, food is awesome, and you can totally get away with eating more-so why not?

*ETA-if eating more (and/or exercising less) does not help get yourself to a doctor. These are not good symptoms to have.
  • slaite1
    Options

I'm going to disagree. I'm on the app and can't see your diary-but you are most definitely not eating enough. Keep the treats and add in more food. Done deal.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough potassium? In the summer heat, your electrolytes (sodium, potassium, calcium, others, and water) could be depleted. If it doesn't improve see a Doctor for a better analysis of what you might be missing.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I could do you a flow chart, but am sleepy.

1. Fuel your workouts with complex carbs i.e eat soemthing 1hr before. About half way through eat a banana or some simple carbs to give you extra energy.
    2. Hydrate, so drink some before and then sip water though your workout, especially if you are sweating.
    3. If you do things really intensely and sweat a lot then it might be you need some electrolytes, but it would have to be pretty intense. Look them up,
    4. More likely it is because you need to rest your body due to fatigue and overtraining, if its not as above. If its none of 1-3, then take 2 days off and see how your body feels. Do light cardio, go swimming or walking etc if you have to but id just rest.
    5. If you dont feel considerably better in 48 hrs, then go to the Drs if you cnat think of an obvious cause.

I do quite long sessions in the gym, beyond 2hrs, but I do all the above, am careful and pace myself. If I was feeling dizzy id stop to eat an drink, if it carried on for more than a few seconds id rest, if I didnt feel better I would go home and rest.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options

I'm going to disagree. I'm on the app and can't see your diary-but you are most definitely not eating enough. Keep the treats and add in more food. Done deal.
    She's eating a little over 2000 calories a day on average over the last 10 days.

• LisaTcan
    LisaTcan Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I'm sort of at a similar place - I'm 5'6 137 lbs and would like to lose about 10 more. I work out 1-2 hours a day cycling and weight lifting. But I eat 1700 a day and feel great. Granted I am loosing very, very slowly - like 1-2 pounds a month.

I think eating junk food is fine! I would say up your calories to like 1600 a day. I eat a ton of non healthy food, but since my calories are pretty high I have room for healthy food and wine/chocolate :)

Another thing you could do is get your iron and B12 checked - mine were very low and I felt terrible but now I'm taking supplements and no longer anemic and I feel much better.

Just my two cents!