Calories Earned

Options
I usually earn so many calories back when I exercise. Does anyone usually stick with their calorie goals (for example: 1200 calories only)?

Replies

• Eliz_99
    Eliz_99 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    If I exercise I usually eat most of those calories back. I would feel too hungry on 1200 calories with exercise. I think mfp may overestimate calories burned so a lot of people advise to just eat half of the exercise calories back.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    You aren't supposed to stick to the 1200 calorie goal when you exercise. 1200 is a really low number and if you stick to it when you exercise, you are starving yourself.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I also have a 1200 calorie goal. However I work out practically everyday. As a result I typically eat anywhere from 1350 -1600. I have been losing weight very consistently. So far 31 pounds in about 65 days or so. I am currently at 223 pounds. As my weight goes down my weightloss will also slow down. And I'm fine with that. I'm comfortable eating in the 1350 range and anything less then that and I'm starting to feel hungry at times and I don't want to do that to myself. So I work out. Get yourself going on a solid workout routine even it it's only 30 min a day and that will give you a couple hundred more calories to eat....and do eat them. It makes a huge difference in how you feel. Remember your diet has to be sustainable. If you're constantly feeling hungry you're doing something wrong. The winner of the weightloss race is simply the person who kept going. Slow down your pace if you have to....but just keep going. Eat your exercise calories back (50% of them is the typical starting point) and that will continue to give your body the fuel it needs to do additional workouts the following day.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I have my calorie target set at a way too low number (1,000) and I exercise daily. I consistently burn close to 3,000 (Fitbit) and over 1,000 a day on MFP. I only keep it set at 1,000 because mentally, that's what works for me to ensure a defecit. I do eat over that number but it helps me to keep a good defecit when I see that number shrink :smile: I eat back almost half of my exercise calories and my target fluxuates daily depending on my activity. I mainly try to get as close to my macro's as I can as a priority.