BCAA's

Options
Does anyone here take BCAA's? What do you think?

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I view them like a multivitamin... I'm not sure if they help or not, but they certainly aren't hurting me any. It just comes down to rationalizing the cost.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    I view them like a multivitamin... I'm not sure if they help or not, but they certainly aren't hurting me any. It just comes down to rationalizing the cost.

This. I buy them in bulk for dirt cheap (< $0.20/serving).
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I had read somewhere that timing is very important... that they can hurt if they are taken at the wrong time or without food. From what I've read, they should be taken with food and right before or while working out. Taking them after working out might damage muscle.

When do you take them?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I had read somewhere that timing is very important... that they can hurt if they are taken at the wrong time or without food. From what I've read, they should be taken with food and right before or while working out. Taking them after working out might damage muscle.

When do you take them?

Where did you read that? That's almost the exact opposite of everything I think I know.

I take them during my fasting window, especially when I'm training fasted. Basically, I use them to minimize muscle loss due to training without calories.
  • kwtilbury
    Options

When do you take them?

It's actually the opposite. Proponents of BCAAs say they promote protein synthesis and should be taken intra/post workout. In fact, many people use them when training in a fasted state to prevent catabolism.
  • eatgoodeat
    eatgoodeat Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »

When do you take them?

Where did you read that? That's almost the exact opposite of everything I think I know.

I take them during my fasting window, especially when I'm training fasted. Basically, I use them to minimize muscle loss due to training without calories.
    you beat me on the post :)
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I take them. Usually during AM fasted cardio and during lifting. I take them without food because I don't lift on a full stomach which is usually 1 1/2-2 hours after a major meal. However I eat right after lifting. Certainly not hurting me any. Would like to find $.20/serving...
  • kwtilbury
    Options
    jpaulie wrote: »
    I take them. Usually during AM fasted cardio and during lifting. I take them without food because I don't lift on a full stomach which is usually 1 1/2-2 hours after a major meal. However I eat right after lifting. Certainly not hurting me any. Would like to find $.20/serving...

Look here.
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    All I use is a stimulant free preworkout and BCAA's. They help aide recovery. I drink my peri-workout and also have a serving first thing in the morning on rest days. I have seen a difference in my own ability to recover and be ready for the next heavy workout.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    If you're getting the majority of your protein from animal sources, you don't need BCAAs and it's not worth the cost honestly.
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I take them intra and post workout and I also drink them during the day as my flavored water. I can't say for sure how well they work but it becomes partially a routine with no reason to change now.