The importance of remembering where you started

Options
daffodilsoup
daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
I had been "big" for my whole life. It wasn't that I made poor nutrition choices, I just liked to eat. A lot. I mistakenly equaled "nutritious" with "low-calorie". I never really ate typical "junk food", I just ate way too much. I liked to cook, and eating made me feel good - whether I was hungry, depressed or just plain bored. As a result, my 5'7" frame carried 220 pounds on the day I graduated from college. I carried it well (as well as you can carry it, I guess), but I still didn't feel like my outsides matched my insides.

In 2011, I moved to China for six months teaching English to high school students. Maybe it was a result of being surrounded by a million tiny, waify people, but I finally decided that enough was enough - I joined a gym (an adventure in itself) and began using MFP to track my daily calorie intake.

Over the past year and a half, I've gone from about 220 pounds to 155 pounds. However, despite this loss, I have spent the last few months firmly planted around 155 pounds, my weight fluctuating by about two pounds on either side on a regular basis. And, while losing slowly has been a great thing for me, as it's allowed me to maintain a sustainable lifestyle and not feel deprived, it can certainly be frustrating when yet another week passes, and no movement on the scale.

As a result, I found myself beating myself up about this "stall", the more weeks passing, the more frustrated I grew. An incredibly active person, I was engaging in a lot of negative self-talk for not having reached milestones I figured I'd have hit by now - where are your abs? What are you doing wrong? Why aren't you trying harder? Why is this taking so LONG?

This morning, weighing in at 157 but still feeling "small", I took the picture on the right and compared it to my "before" picture, taken on October 25, 2011.

A2RDGZSl.jpg

Seeing the comparison made me remember one of my favorite quotes - "I may not be where I want to be, but I'm sure as heck not where I started." Sometimes, we can get so caught up in how long we have to go that we forget how far we've come.

Instead of beating myself up, I should be celebrating my success. Not only have I changed how I look, but I've made great changes as far as endurance - I can run for an hour! I biked 50 miles for charity! I should wake up every morning and pat myself on the back, because every little good decision and positive change adds up over time. So when you find yourself feeling negative or frustrated or as though nothing is changing, do yourself a favor - step back and take a moment to look over your shoulder and see what amazing progress you have already made.

Replies

• coco3382458
    coco3382458 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    you look amazing. Great attitude to have !!! you have come a long way
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options
    And this is one of the reasons I like you as one of my favorite friends.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    You look wonderful!!!!!!!! I'm so used to seeing the opposite on here..it was so nice to read this !! Thank you for sharing !!!
  • Amym26
    Amym26 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Very inspirational! Thank you so much for sharing.
  • krc99080
    krc99080 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    You look great! I can only hope to have success like yours!
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    You look amazing and beautiful! be proud of all you've accomplished. its awesome:flowerforyou:
  • CosmicBella
    CosmicBella Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    You look amazing... What an accomplishment! :flowerforyou:
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    And this is one of the reasons I like you as one of my favorite friends.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Right back atcha, Niner!
  • CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    You are beautiful and you have a gorgeous feminine yet fit physique. I like what you wrote too, often we are so mean to ourselves and focus on what we don't have instead of what we do have.
  • kmchambers64
    kmchambers64 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I love this, and especially your quote. My own weight loss has been agonizingly slow, despite adding weight lifting and lots of cardio. But I agree totally with your sentiments. Where I am is better than where I was. And quitting will only take me backwards. So every day is an opportunity to move forward. Yeah You!
  • rhondaec
    rhondaec Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    You look great! And loved your story!
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    You look amazing!!!
  • bdahlia13
    bdahlia13 Posts: 26
    Options
    That quote is a good motto to live by and you look AMAZING!
  • Schlackity
    Schlackity Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I often have the same thought when I'm walking and I feel so tired that I can't wait to get back home, but then I turn around and look back and where I was just walking and realize how many steps I've taken, and remember that just two months ago, I couldn't do even a quarter of what I'm doing now.

We do need to remind ourselves that we're doing a great job, even if we don't always recognize it. You look fantastic by the way!
  • michelle7673
    michelle7673 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    You look phenomenal. Period.
  • ehenningsen
    ehenningsen Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Wow. You look amazing!
  • SweetTea111104
    SweetTea111104 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Here here! Well said!
  • umekanzah
    umekanzah Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    You look absolutely amazing and gorgeous! Thank you for sharing such a beautiful and encouraging experience.
  • AlysonG2
    AlysonG2 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    You have the PERFECT body! I have no idea why you're still trying to lose! Go to the beach and rock a bikini! :)
  • DJsmom129
    DJsmom129 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel! I know that you don't know me, but I am proud of you, it's hard work, but in the proverbial end, it is worth it! Great job!!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!