Water Alternative

Options
mmteixeira
mmteixeira Posts: 118 Member
I am trying to stick to the 8 cups of water a day but I am not a fan of water - I like some flavor in what I drink. I am looking for healthier alternatives to water to drink (not to replace water but to supplement it throughout the day). I like the powerade zero's but way too much sodium. Any flavored waters that are not that bad for you? Thoughts?

Thanks!!!!

Replies

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Mio or any of the other additives?
  • pianoplaya94
    pianoplaya94 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    You could try the crystal light that comes in a little bottle that you squeeze out. I only drink my water with that stuff... I am not a fan of plain water. I also boil water and then out some of that stuff in the boiled water. Tastes like cyder! So good!
  • mmteixeira
    mmteixeira Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions- does Crystal Light contain calories or sodium?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    iced tea...i also drink a lot of flavored bubbly water...and I put things like watermelon and cucumber, etc in my water.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Seltzer water with mio?
  • chriskangell
    chriskangell Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Lately I've stopped believing in the "you must drink N glasses of water a day" directive, where N is some large number. Unless you have some medical condition or live in a hot/dry climate, have you considered only drinking water whenever you're thirsty and seeing how that works?

I drink a lot of no-sugar-added almond milks (30 calories/240ml). My girlfriend likes zero calorie seltzer waters.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I like adding a little juice to water. 20ml of juice can add just enough flavor to make the water tasty.
  • sealensfit
    sealensfit Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I put BCAAs in my water! Still water, but with amino acids. :smile:
  • br3adman
    br3adman Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Juice fresh fruits veggies stay away from manmade electrolytes like gatoraid. Crush fresh berries in water etc.
  • roselemonade
    roselemonade Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    There are some naturally sweet teas (Good Earth sweet and spicy is a popular one) that don't have any calories (well, they have between 0 and 5 calories, which in America can legally be labeled as 0.) They tend to be good either hot or iced. I like to make strong black tea and sweeten it with a couple drops of stevia extract; stevia has an aftertaste that doesn't work with all flavors, but blends nicely into bitter tea and lemonade.
  • mom2kpr
    mom2kpr Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    100% - water (obviously), unflavored seltzer water, plain tea
    95% - 99% diet soft drinks, sugar free gelatin, clear broth, celery, cucumber, lettuce, summer squash, black coffee
    90% - 94% sports drinks, grapefruit, strawberries, broccoli, tomatoes
    80% - 89% sugar sweetened soft drinks, milk, yogurt, egg whites, fruit juice, low fat cottage cheese, cooked oatmeal, apple, carrot
    60% - 79% low calorie mayo, instant pudding, lean steak, pork chop, baked potato, cooked rice
    40% - 59% sausage, chicken, macaroni and cheese, diet margarine
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Coffee, tea, soda (if you drink it), soups, all other liquids, fruit and veggies are all sources of hydration. There is nothing magic about water. The hysteria over dehydration is vastly over-stated.
  • blossomingbutterfly
    blossomingbutterfly Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I like adding a tea bag to my water jug and leaving it in there. Adds a little flavour to it. I adore it.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    you can also make your own vitamin water by adding fruit or veggies like cucumber. you an even add fresh mint as well.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    Drink only when you're thirsty. Unless you're doing a LOT of sweaty exercise or you're outside in high heat, you don't need to drink except when you feel thirsty. Really. Save your willpower for other things.