Golden caster sugar

Options
barbecuesauce
barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
I live in the US and was looking at some UK magazines and saw several recipes that call for "golden caster sugar." Is this a product that is available in the US (not at specialty stores, but regular grocery stores)? If not, what do I use?

Example:

ra15ekk23wmj.png

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I found this via google:
    Golden caster sugar is a fine granulated sugar that is made from unrefined sugar cane or beets. It is popular in the UK for its colour, which is a pale golden brown, and it has a slightly buttery flavour. It is unfortunately fairly unique to the UK. The important point to make is that it is a dry, free-flowing sugar.Oct 7, 2013
    Golden Caster Sugar | Kitchen Queries | Nigella Lawson
    www.nigella.com/kitchen.../Golden-Caster-Sugar/4380Nigella Lawson

It sounds like the sugar that comes in these packets:

sugar-in-the-raw-5-gram-packets-1200-case.jpg
  • barbecuesauce
    Options
    Oooh, thanks for finding that! I found something about using a food processor on granulated sugar and figured there had to be a better way.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I didn't look up a picture of it but if it is finer than the raw sugar pictured above, you could just zap raw sugar in a food processor for a few seconds.
  • barbecuesauce
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I didn't look up a picture of it but if it is finer than the raw sugar pictured above, you could just zap raw sugar in a food processor for a few seconds.

My neighbor (from the UK) just texted to say she uses regular granulated sugar, thought the food processor thing was crazy. I should have asked her first! Thanks.