Negative adjustments

Options
tazjosh
tazjosh Posts: 88 Member
im new, got my fitbit. Some say enable some disable. I don't understand what it is ?
If it helps I'm active in the day but not really in the evening, so I'm or off?

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Negative adjustments take some getting used to. But basically is FitBit activity level compared to MFP activity level.

If you signed up as sedentary and you have over 10,000 steps....you get a positive adjustment. The thing to remember is MFP is "guessing" thru out the day....it doesn't know what you will end up with at the end of the day.
  • tazjosh
    Options
    Does it carry iron then to the next day ( Fitbit) ?
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    tazjosh wrote: »
    im new, got my fitbit. Some say enable some disable. I don't understand what it is ?
    If it helps I'm active in the day but not really in the evening, so I'm or off?

Your Fitbit burn is TDEE, the number of calories necessary to maintain your current weight. Your default MFP calorie goal is activity level minus deficit. Adjustments are the difference between your Fitbit burn and your MFP activity level.

If you disable negative calorie adjustments, you'll never eat at a true deficit on days you burn fewer calories than your activity level.

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    Does it carry iron then to the next day ( Fitbit) ?

No. But you can look at your nutrition for the past 7 days in the MFP app. All that really matters is your weekly calorie goal.
  • tazjosh
    Options
    How is the weekly calorie goal worked out? Am I looking at calories under/over weekly goal? I've added up my past 7 days and the number I get for an average (divided by 7) or the number I make if calories under-calories over don't make the numbers on there. So what do I aim for? I like to use up my calories left that are under my goal in the 7th day. So to not loose extra weight but enjoy extra after a good week
  • editorgrrl
    edited June 2015
    Options
    It takes trial & error to find the "magic number" that works for you. I've found that I can be a whole day's worth of calories over goal each week with no problem. YMMV.

Food is fuel, and we should all be looking for the maximum number of calories at which we lose weight (or maintain)—never the minimum.

In the iOS app, go to More > Settings > Weekly Nutrition Settings and check "week starts 7 days ago." Go to your diary, then to yesterday. At the bottom of the screen, tap "Nutrition." Then choose "Calories" and "Week View."

(After that, I switch from "Calories" to "Nutrients" and check my weekly protein & fiber goals. You can see "Macros," too.)
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I enabled mine. It does not really affect things much on work days. I have a very active work life and burn a lot during the day. My evenings can be either very sedentary or active depending on what day it is. The only time I really notice negative adjustments is on weekends when I am not as active. It helps to keep me in check and remind me that I can't eat as much on the weekends as I do on a week day. Plus it motivates me to get up and move more on those days.
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I slept in this morning so have a negative 60 calorie adjustment right now. As soon as I get on with my day I'll "earn" those calories back, plus a few more after my 3 mile walk. But if I were to sit on the couch all day I think I'd lose a few more.
  • tazjosh
    Options
    Thanks
  • tazjosh
    Options
    I've looked everywhere but there is no option for negative adjustments on my app under diary settings. I have an iPhone 5s , iPad mini and Fitbit zip?
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    I've looked everywhere but there is no option for negative adjustments on my app under diary settings. I have an iPhone 5s , iPad mini and Fitbit zip?

Verify your accounts are connected at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/fitbit

The option is only available to those with a device synced to their account: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • tazjosh
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »

The option is only available to those with a device synced to their account: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

Thanks your wonderful and have helped me loads. I'm all set for in the morning :), just wondered, I understand how often the zip updates my Fitbit account. But how often does that sync with mfp? To adjust my days kcal goal?. I'm starting sedentary and hoping my allowance goes up ( as its 500 kcal less a day than I was on) will I be able to check every hour to see what I can have ( eg before I choose what to have for dinner or if I can have that snack?)
  • tazjosh
    Options

Thanks your wonderful and have helped me loads. I'm all set for in the morning :), just wondered, I understand how often the zip updates my Fitbit account. But how often does that sync with mfp? To adjust my days kcal goal?. I'm starting sedentary and hoping my allowance goes up ( as its 500 kcal less a day than I was on) will I be able to check every hour to see what I can have ( eg before I choose what to have for dinner or if I can have that snack?)

Also why when I've done more steps, the amount of calories its taken off as exercise is less than it was an hour ago?
  • editorgrrl
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I understand how often the zip updates my Fitbit account. But how often does that sync with mfp?

Click on your adjustment to see the time it was calculated.

http://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/1084230-total-daily-calorie-partners-what-information-is-synced-with-myfitnesspal-
    Whenever your Total Daily Calorie device or app updates your data, we'll retrieve the actual calories burned that you've recorded up to that point in the day.

We'll also sync a summary of the consumed calories from your MyFitnessPal Food Diary.
    Also why when I've done more steps, the amount of calories its taken off as exercise is less than it was an hour ago?

From the same article:
    Because the adjustment value is recalculated every time your device uploads new data, you should expect this value to change over the course of the day.

My adjustments were wonky at first, but they got better—as if MFP was "learning" my routine.
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Negative adjustments take some getting used to. But basically is FitBit activity level compared to MFP activity level.

If you signed up as sedentary and you have over 10,000 steps....you get a positive adjustment. The thing to remember is MFP is "guessing" thru out the day....it doesn't know what you will end up with at the end of the day.

That's odd... I have negative adjustments enabled, am sedentary, have never hit 10k steps in a day, and get positive adjustments...

• editorgrrl
    Options
    ohmscheeks wrote: »
    I have negative adjustments enabled, am sedentary, have never hit 10k steps in a day, and get positive adjustments.

Me, too. My negative calorie adjustments turn to positive after a few thousand steps.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    ohmscheeks wrote: »
    I have negative adjustments enabled, am sedentary, have never hit 10k steps in a day, and get positive adjustments.

Me, too. My negative calorie adjustments turn to positive after a few thousand steps.

mine too

• tazjosh
    Options
    Sorry to ask again, I've started today. I'm on sedentary and I don't understand as my amount of steps is going up this morning my amount of kcal taken off for exercise in mfp is going down the more steps I do? I thought the more steps/active I am the more calories I can eat that day ? Why is it going down?
    I'm so proud of the weight I've lost but I really can't loose anymore as I'm starting to look ill. I just want to eat well to stay healthy at 9st and am desperate to nut put any on either ( after I've got to 9st again I need to put a couple of pounds on so its a good time to be finding my daily level )
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Did you start off in a minus this morning?

I always wake up to -90ish in the morning . It moves to the positive around 2,000ish steps.

Also, i know fitbit and mfp are having syncing issues at the moment.
  • tazjosh
    Options
    No I started this morning with about 180 taken off as exercise giving me 180 kcal extra I can eat today but as I've walked around today and my steps have got higher, the 180 is now down to 8? So I can eat less today so far even though I've done 2000 steps?