Substitute for push up

Options
I am doing 30 day shred and I injured my wrist. Putting any amount of pressure while it's bent isn't possible right now. Can anyone recommend a substitute for push ups?

Replies

• rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    RKC plank
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    One arm pushups against a wall?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

OP, I say just rest your wrist.

Maybe focus more on core and lower body movements (that don't require you using your wrist).
  • lwar92
    lwar92 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Have you tried knuckle push ups?
  • mgonyer123
    mgonyer123 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of knuckle pushup. I'm googling it. I'm not 100% sure I'm actually strong enough for 1 arm anything yet :D but I'm willing to try.

I'm definitely resting it but it can take a week or more. It's something I need to eventually get checked out since this happens often.

I can't wrap it because strangely enough wrapping ot actually makes it hurt WORSE. Which apparently doesn't make sense to anyone.

Push ups are a great exercise and I just want to be able to do something equally great (working similar muscles)
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    If you're doing 30 day shred, I'm guessing you have dumbbells. Maybe do chest presses instead?
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    If you get back into doing pushups, maybe try them not with your hands flat on the ground but holding on to something.
    My trainer used to give me dumbells I could wrap my hands around while they were flat on the floor and I used those for my pushups like pushup grips.

(Just googled pushup grips, they don't seem that expensive.)
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Grips are good for weak wrists ^^^ (when you can) and maybe when ready to try again do push ups against wall for a while. Then graduate to edge of couch, then knees before you try floor again. But yeh chest presses a good substitute till you are confident with your wrist again.

And maybe not a wrap but one that is pre-shaped specifically for wrist support would be better - eventually. I'd use that even when you think you're better for a little while and take it off every now and then to test it.
  • mgonyer123
    Options
    Thanks for the great ideas! I'm definitely trying them out. I'm trying not to be discouraged. It flared up because my husband had a great idea for me to try a push up with my feet on the couch. Yeeeeah that wasn't the best idea apparently. (I've been doing knee pushup without problems for 12 days prior)
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    If you're doing 30 day shred, I'm guessing you have dumbbells. Maybe do chest presses instead?

Adding to this...OP, I would also maybe look at some wrist wraps, so that this forces the wrist to remain straight if you are concerned about their or its flexion. This is what you typically see people use in bench press and sometimes squat to keep their wrists from bending back due to the heavy weight.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    mgonyer123 wrote: »
    Thanks for the great ideas! I'm definitely trying them out. I'm trying not to be discouraged. It flared up because my husband had a great idea for me to try a push up with my feet on the couch. Yeeeeah that wasn't the best idea apparently. (I've been doing knee pushup without problems for 12 days prior)

Usually you progress from knee push ups, to full push ups, and then to harder variations (like decline push ups - which is what you were doing with legs elevated). Jumping from knee push ups to those wasn't a good idea. :(

Hope your wrist heals fast :(
  • mgonyer123
    Options
    I told him I couldn't do it but he swore it was EASIER. Hahaha. NOT.